Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Rear Valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I saw this pic somewhere the other day, and it went straight into my 914 folder on my hard drive. I started to think about it, and what I liked about it was the rear valance. It hangs much lower on the 914/6, and looks more rounded. Is there any 914/4 exhaust that this will work with? I wouldn't necessarily need to put the tailpipe through the hole, that could be covered up, but I would like to run this valance.
ArtechnikA
most 914.6 owners took them off. i took one off each car, and they're gone forever, to that same lost warehouse in the sky with all the Pre-A 356 bumpers. if i knew then what i know now i'd have tried hard to keep track of them...

anyway - they add drag, they weigh something, and they increase engine temperatures at least 10F.

if someone with an Asian car put on a part just for the look that made the car run worse, we'd be all over it...

yes, the concours guys go ga-ga over original parts like that, and it's your car, do what you want. i wouldn't be holding my breath for an original /6 valence at a cheap price tho...
seanery
yup, Rich is right!
There is a reason the factory went with a smaller valence after that.

If you want to raise engine temps I have seen reproductions of that valence with and without the hole -I think it was AA.
Kargeek
I have the factory metal 6 valence on my car using a 2.0 muffler. I welded on a larger pipe to the muffler and used a six exhaust tip. I also added the two plastic foils or flaps on the edge of the chassis pan to increase airflow through the engine compartment. DH
smg914
All 914-4's and 914-6's in 1970 and 1971 used a rear lower valance that entirely covered the exhaust tip. There was a slight difference thought between the 6 and the 4 design. The hole on the 6 valance was further to the left. Or I guess you could say the hole on the 4 valance was further to the right. Many of the mail order houses sell aftermarket fiberglass versions of these larger rear valances.
type47fan
The '72s had the larger valance, also. '73 was the first year for the short version.

Wayne (type47fan)
Brad Roberts
Correct. The car above has a 4cyl porthole valence on it.

B
echocanyons
Kargeek those are some interesting tailights you got I dont think I noticed them before.

Whats the scoop?
Brad Roberts
Italian rears...

B
echocanyons
Very cool, thanks Brad
Brad Roberts
I like them.

B
Kargeek
At one time I had both of the early style "porthole" valances- the 4cyl version had the hole more to the right. I used the 6cyl version and my 2.0 muffler's tip would not fit through it so, I know I'm using the six valance. Drawings in the factory parts guide also show a porthole version with vertical cooling slats -however, I have never seen one. In addition to cooling Porsche shortened the valance because of snow build-up- the thing acted like a scoop for road debris.

Now, those taillights are correctly referred in the parts guide as "French" units. Something to do with France not allowing white lenses. I know a guy with a French spec. 70's Ferrari Lusso that has yellow headlights and he told me it had to do with France’s goofy motoring laws. DH
thomasotten
Is it just this picture, or does the 914-6 rear valance actually arc forward, towards the front of the car? What I mean is that it continues to follow the arc of the tire down, even past what would be 3 O'clock.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Sep 6 2004, 11:33 AM)
Kargeek those are some interesting tailights you got I dont think I noticed them before.

Whats the scoop?

Italian are red and clear.

amber backups are uniquely French.

(not to contradict the Bradster ...)
meursault
amber backups are uniquely French.

I'll second that. Does this Frenchie car have yellow headlights too?
Brad Roberts
Yep. I was thinking of the front Italian lenses.. clear.

All I know about the portholes: they trap heat and it shows up in oil temp and rear trunk temp. I know the 6 porthole doesnt fit a 914 4cyl stock muffer. The 6 porthole may fit 100's of other mufflers... but it does NOT fit the stock 4 cyl 2.0 muffler. I get guy's trying to sell us 4 cyl portholes because they *think* they are 9146 porthole valences.... the two are very different and the differences can be seen with the naked eye.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.