Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zambesi car lives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peridotian
So I bought a 78 911 SC this weekend that is total CREAMPUFF and therefor decided to sell the $2000 74 Green car to my son (HE'S STOKED!). The 914 however has problems. The deal with the 914 seller was I would bring a battery and if it started and did not have rod knock, blue smoke, grinding tranny etc, than we would complete the deal. The car started right up but was spewing fuel. We found the fuel leak, fixed it and tried to fire again. No power to Gages and no noise from starter. But there was a wierd noise fromk under the passenger seat. Unbolt seat and there is a couple of highly corroded modules, cut wires, corrosion both green and brown everywhere. One of the modules (Bosch logic?) has about 10 terminals on it and is the one that vibrates with the key on albeit half heartedly. There is a culrlicue wire running into the seat bottom on the pass side. Did I get heated seats? Can I just rip all the seat buzzer and related stuff out? Will the seat buzzer circuit being corroded cause a no start problem?
Aaron Cox
the 2 BIG Yellow wires.... Connect them, bypass the relay
davep
That is the seatbelt interlock relay set. You gotta sit in the drivers seat AND buckleup to start the car. Well, supposedly.
ArtechnikA
i'm confused - is the corroded stuff under the pax seat in the 911 or the 914 ? your post makes it sound like you're having issues with the 911, and if that's the case, 914-oriented fixes don't apply.

MikeZ has an early SC so maybe he's seen some of that stuff; MarkB too i think.

if it *is* the 911 you're dealing with, let me suggest you join RennList's 911 List; they've helped me a lot...
peridotian
I saw several small yellow wires behind the seat that were cut, and 2 sets of connectors that were unplugged, but the car started at least once. We then used the ignition switch 10-15 times at the position that would make the fuel pump work so we could trace the gas leak. The wierd vibrating noise and the no start was after it had started once when I was in the drivers seat with no belt on.
peridotian
Sorry for the confusion, the problem is with the 74 914. The 911 runs SCHWEET!
davep
If someone has already hacked the wiring for the relays, then you have to figure out what they did and correct it. Usually they just connect the big yellow wires to bypass the relay. Do they pass current? Was the bypass created elsewhere? Sounds like bad wiring somewhere.
peridotian
I suck at electrical gremlins, but I guess I need to get over it! I will try to bypass by connecting the 2 yellow wires. Will have fire extinguisher handy!
plas76targa
Hey Pat, was that the yellow 911 I saw in Pleasanton? Once over off Valley near Hopyard. and then later on Santa Rita and Valley? Either way, that's one Schweet 911.

Sounds like I'm late to offer but I have a battery that may be usable. You're welcome to it if you need it.
peridotian
Matt,
Yep, that was me. I look for any excuse to drive that thing. "Honey, can I get the dry cleaning?". Thanks for the battery offer, but I splurged and got a red top which will eventually be for the red car. Know anything about wiring?
Britain Smith
How much did you pick up the 911 for?

-Britain
peridotian
Britian,
$13,500! Damn near perfect cosmetically and mechanically. Pampered garage queen until now because when the 914 is done, the 911 will be in the driveway (with a cover) as the damn 914 leaks when it rains. Will you be at the AX this weekend? I will be there providing moral support for Debra who is running the boxster. Now the thought is convert the 914 to track/AX only.
plas76targa
Pat,

I didn't see you on the move. The car I saw was parked and for sale. Similar to your find if not the same one.

I know Jack #$%^ about wiring but I'd be glad to provide moral support (I have low morals tho' wink.gif ).

I'm still working on a replacement for the relay board of yours that I borrowed.

That is one Schweet 9-ellebin. Can I be first in line when you get bored with it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.