Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy crap!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
fiid
I am a little suprised - The building codes in SF accomodate for eathquake safety - there seem to be a lot of structures in FL that aren't hurricane safe, and you guys can get several a year - SF gets (way way worst case) a big earthquake every 10.

Anyways *SHRUG* - it still sucks, and sorry it's happening again. Quarl (and others) you are always welcome in Qualifornia if you get tired of it.

Keep safe,

Fiid.
F4i
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 10 2004, 06:30 AM)
You may want to keep the Nuke talk on the "down low".

In Alberta the insurance companies who cover local farmer's crops seed the clouds with silver iodide every year in order to avoid hail stones. They used to lose so much money to crop damage that they now spend millions in order to change the weather, avoid the hail and the 100s of millions in claims.

The farmers used to call it the "big white combine" when the hail hit. There are cloud seeding operations run out of Calgary.
SLITS
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 10 2004, 01:30 PM)
I am a little suprised - The building codes in SF accomodate for eathquake safety - there seem to be a lot of structures in FL that aren't hurricane safe, and you guys can get several a year - SF gets (way way worst case) a big earthquake every 10.

Anyways *SHRUG* - it still sucks, and sorry it's happening again. Quarl (and others) you are always welcome in Qualifornia if you get tired of it.

Keep safe,

Fiid.

No - Wyoming needs the people and all they have is snow (maybe a couple of angry bulls)
SpecialK
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Sep 10 2004, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE(iiibdsiil @ Sep 10 2004, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Sep 10 2004, 12:02 PM)
Does it make sense to keep building, and building, and building in these Hurricane prone areas. It's inevitable that there will be more hurricanes, nothing is going to stop them. Now we are in a cycle that will most likely bring more Hurricanes to the southeast US.

How many Billions of dollars will the taxpayers have to pay to bail-out the insurance companies that will surely go under with all damage claims.

I understand that most of the year Florida has nice weather, but is the risk worth it, why should we all that don't enjoy the mild weather year round have to pay to fix/clean-up Florida.

Oh well, when the polar ice caps melt half the state will be underwater!

Nothing against all you Floridians out there, just my rant.

I disagree. Should we stop building in earthquake prone areas? And what about with all the tornado prone areas? Hawaii too? Since it is a volcano?

Just doesn't sound practical to me.

I figured I would get some flaming for my comments. It is not practical to stop builing in these areas. I just think that people need to take a look at what is being built. Why do Manufactured home parks continue to get built when one storm can wipe out the whole place?

And there definitely should be no complaining, because if you live in these disaster prone areas you know that eventually it's going to happen.

My .02 (agian) so maybe my .02 x 2.

Not to be insensitive to the FL people (my dad lives in Orlando), but it's similar to the people that live in Valley Park, MO. When I moved to Missouri in '87, the town of Valley Park was flooded by the Meramec River. I thought "how awful for those people, what a horrible mess to deal with! ohmy.gif ". Two years later Valley Park floods again, and I'm thinking "Man, those people have some terrible luck huh.gif !". The very next year it floods again and I think "Screw those idiots, they built there town in a river bed! :finger2: ". My brother-in-law is from there, and has some friends still residing in Valley Park. Pretty much a FEMA scam if you ask me!
balljoint
Richard Cranium

:dhead:

I get it.

clap56.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 10 2004, 01:19 PM)
Richard Cranium

:dhead:

I get it.

clap56.gif

Hmmm....reread my last post and I did come off that way unsure.gif Poor example, sorry FL guys, I take it back.

As for the FEMA abusers in Valley Park, MO (which I know for a fact!) I stand firm :dhead: on my remarks in the previous post!
iiibdsiil
I agree with you. Just sometimes I keep my mouth shut because I know others won't agree. And, I don't want to be perceived as a Richard Cranium.

And I don't think he was calling you a Richard Cranium.
Qarl
Does it make sense to keep building, and building, and building in these Hurricane prone areas. It's inevitable that there will be more hurricanes, nothing is going to stop them. Now we are in a cycle that will most likely bring more Hurricanes to the southeast US.

How many Billions of dollars will the taxpayers have to pay to bail-out the insurance companies that will surely go under with all damage claims.

I understand that most of the year Florida has nice weather, but is the risk worth it, why should we all that don't enjoy the mild weather year round have to pay to fix/clean-up Florida.

Oh well, when the polar ice caps melt half the state will be underwater!

Nothing against all you Floridians out there, just my rant.

Tornadoes
Earthquakes
Forest Fires
Drought
Blizzards and practically year-round snow
Volcanoes
Flood-prone rivers and lakes
Hurricanes
Intense heat

You can argue the same point about pretty much any area in the country...

And why the F would anyone want to live in Canada? It's friggin cold there most the year... :finger2:

See! Your argument sounds sort of stupid! Of course reading the later posts, I realize you understand that.

Florida (for the most part) doesn't really get hit by hurricanes that often... especially Central Florida. This is particularly rare to have these hurricanes hit the state in the matter in which they did. Nonetheless two hurricanes... now THREE hurricanes. crap!

And hurricane season is 3-4 months long (much like snow season in many parts of the country).

it's all relative.

Hurricane Party! mueba.gif
Qarl
I know, I know... I'm a :dhead:
F4i
Hey Canada rocks. Just because you see the temp. go from 70 to 20 at the US Canadian border you think it's cold here all the time. We use the metric system here (sometimes.... different rant) I do hope you guys stay safe though.
seanery
you're not a :dhead: wasn't the last big round of hurricanes in 94? I drove through the area a year later and was amazed at the damage.

If it happened every year, then you'd be a moron, but it doesn't, so you're not.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 10 2004, 10:14 AM)

Don't worry, we're the ones paying. If you saw our insurance premiums and tax bill, you would barf.gif

dr

I just heard today that in Florida insurance companies can make you pay a separate deductible for each named storm. Bummer.
silver2.0
Hope it all works out for you. I thought I heard about emergency funding being diverted to you, wish there was more I could say, but good luck!
redshift
SEND EMERGENCY FUNDING

Thanks,

Miles Hendrix CEO
Hendrix Emergency Fun(d)
A Not For Profit Fun(d)
for the procurement of specialty items required by subjective delusionals
Email Your Money, Today!
money@hendrix.com
Rider914
Remember that we only show the worst of the worst on TV. And the short clips shown on National TV are the worst of that.

I measured 60 mph winds with a gust at 78 with a hand held meter outside my satellite truck Saturday night in Palm Beach Gardens.

Just about everyone who got the eye and was 10 miles or less from the coast lost shingles and trees. A few who were unlucky got leaks that caused drywall to cave in.

Yes there was the destruction that you saw on TV, but we had to drive around to find that.

Prepare, and evacuate if you are in coastal areas if you are under a warning.

Best of luck to the Panhandle guys, I should be heading that way Monday.

Jay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.