Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok.... I've spent so much time/effort/money on the RSX lately, I've almost ignored the teener all summer.

What can I say? I've owed the car 1.5 years, and the only repair I've made was a battery. The only upgrades I've done have been stereo related, my side decals, or my front spoiler. I still drive it regularly (2 or 3 times a week), wash/clean it obsessively, and love it to death... but I've got an "itch" for a major change.

The 914 sits in the garage all winter.... and winter is coming. Perfect opportunity to do major changes. I'm actually contemplating flaring the car.

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the look of the bolt-on fenders better than the typical "molded-in" fenders. Plus, there's all kinds of advantages..... like the lack of a need for paint... among many others.

So.......... can we post some pictures of bolt-on flared cars? Procedures for doing it right? Will bolt-on flares interfere with my marker lights? Do the come in different sizes? Where can I buy them? How much do they cost?

As always.. this site rocks! Thanks!!

Matt
Aaron Cox
dude. dont do this to one of the finer examples of a 914. buy another one and start over, just MHO. rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Sep 10 2004, 08:10 AM)
Call me crazy...

Where can I buy them? How much do they cost?

done.

skinny wheels in flares looks stupid, so are you going to do the full 5-lug conversion and wide 911 wheels, or are you going to use custom 4-lug wheels ?

there are no off-the-shelf bolt-on flares. you'll be starting (presumptively) with the standard glass flares and figuring out a way to make them permanently temporary.

why wouldn't they need paint ?

glass flares are cheap. everything else adds up in a hurry.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 10 2004, 08:12 AM)
dude. dont do this to one of the finer examples of a 914. buy another one and start over, just MHO. rolleyes.gif

Strangely enough, I've actually considered selling this one (I've kept all the original parts). Although I appreciate the "trueness" of the teener, I find myself missing my previous hobby...... classic GM muscle.

I'm a Hot-Rodder by nature..... not a purist..... and I can't help but draw my self to the "racy" 914s. I love the wild/modified race car 914s.

I bought mine before I discovered e-bay, or even the 914 club. If I did it all over again, I would have gone with a flared, V-8 conversion car.

But I partially financed the car. Although it is worth WAY more than I owe on it.. I'm going to run into problems selling it on e-bay because of the lein.. that will turn off a lot of people.

What can I say... I'm a bit torn on what to do here.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 10 2004, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Sep 10 2004, 08:10 AM)
Call me crazy...

Where can I buy them?  How much do they cost?

done.

skinny wheels in flares looks stupid, so are you going to do the full 5-lug conversion and wide 911 wheels, or are you going to use custom 4-lug wheels ?

there are no off-the-shelf bolt-on flares. you'll be starting (presumptively) with the standard glass flares and figuring out a way to make them permanently temporary.

why wouldn't they need paint ?

glass flares are cheap. everything else adds up in a hurry.

If I flare the car, I'd go with a "normal" 5 lug conversion, so I had a wide variety of wheels to choose from.

I'd go with a 5x114 17 inch wheel

I've seen pics of cars with fenders bolted on, the flares were kept black, and the car was it's regular color.. it looked good. The flares actually had "molded" bolt-holes in them though. I know I saw it.. I'm not crazy--LOL

I think confused24.gif
Root_Werks
I say get what makes you happy or keep what makes you happy. I have a buddy who has a Eagle Talon. He just loves that thing, I hate it. But I don't tell him that, what do I care? He likes the car and that is ALL that matters. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Sep 10 2004, 08:26 AM)
I'd go with a 5x114

I've seen pics of cars with fenders bolted on... The flares actually had "molded" bolt-holes in them though.

5 x 114 ?

"cars"? or 914's ?

934's used pop-rivet flares. lots of cars have screw-on flares. donno that i've seen commercially available off-the-shelf 'externally-attachable' 914 flares, but i don't claim to know every product available. lots of racer guys use Dzus or similar quarter-turn fasteners to secure flares and other body parts, but that's all custom fabrication...

it's your car, do what you want ...
SpecialK
I think Scott Schroeder's 'Martini' styled car is about the best example of bolt/rivet on flares I've seen. Looks like he made a wrong turn at LeMans and ended up on I-70. beer.gif
Mueller
AFAIK, there was only 1 company that made a true "bolt-on" flare and it was/is about the ugliest flare I've ever seen on a 914....it came from one of the Becks....son or father, cannot remember which one, it's been a long time since I've seen a picture of a car with them on

most of the flares that you've seen that appear to be bolted on are just 'glass flares that instead of blending them to the fenders, and covering up the pop-rivets or button head screws with a nut on the far side... they left them unfinished (you still want to paint or primer them depending on color and finish)

just do a search here for how to install 'glass flares...when it comes to the part about blending the flares to the fenders ...STOP and you pretty much have what you want.

you'll still have to cut the stock fender opening and trim the flare....i like the look depending on the car....Randal here in the Bay Area has these style flares
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 10 2004, 11:07 AM)
I like the look depending on the car....Randal here in the Bay Area has these style flares

but randals are complementary colors on his car.

silver and blue.. but also its a TRACK CAR. where FUNCTION comes before FORM
anthony
Don't forget about costs. A 5 lug conversion done right (new pads, rotors, lines, etc) runs $1500. Big wide Fuchs, tires, and spacers to fit under the flares will run $2000+. That still doesn't include the cost of the flares.
BMartin914
I think Scott Schroeder's 'Martini' styled car is about the best example of bolt/rivet on flares I've seen.

agree.gif

Scott's car is one of the only flared cars that I like the look of -- primarily because his flares are bolt on.

scott's car rocks! aktion035.gif
Brett W
What am I chopped liver? boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
lagunero
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 10 2004, 01:22 PM)
What am I chopped liver? boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Due to the Nascar style wheels your submission has been disqualified lol2.gif
J/K, nice car and a great example for this discussion
Brett W
OH I see how your gonna be. CCW. ar15.gif ar15.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

At the time I liked the look at and they were 225 for 15x8 inch wheels that weighed 20 lbs each. Damn steel tarrifs have made those not such a good option right now. Might go to a 5 lug if I can get a set of 8-9 inch wheels that I think look good on the car. HAve thought about having a set of 9 inch Kodiak customs made but I am having a hard time swallowing 1200+ for a set of wheels. Although a 16 will be easier to find tires for.
URY914
Do a search for "GT flares".

I'm about to update my never ending thread showing me adding flares to my car.

I now have them both rear one mounted and the one primed. The fronts are done. ( clap56.gif )

Paul
Trekkor
Randal's
ninefourteener
YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH.... now thats what I'm talking about!

Trekkor and Brett's cars ROCK! That's the look that I was talking about!

Ok.. so maybe I was a bit confused.... those are just regular fiberglass flares that have been bolted on? They aren't a "different" kind of flare?

Also..... to you "bolt-on" guys..... are the flares going to interfere with my marker lights?

Here's a recent pic of my car... I'm thinking leaving the flares black, would go well with the whole black/green theme of my car. Whattaya think?
Trekkor
914'er

I like the look as well, my car is the white one in my avatar.
I posted Randal's race car pic for you.
He has it attached with large pop rivets and black fender welting trim around the edges as it touches the painted surface.
Very clean install.
Side maker lights can stay if you like. Randal has large Koni stickers covering his openings.

Black on green...mean cool_shades.gif

KT
Brett W
My marker lights are gone anyways so it is a non issue. I am going to add Beetle fender welting to mine when I repaint this winter.

Yes my flares are just standard AIR fender flares, I fitted them and drilled the bolt holes to the pattern that I liked.
Root_Werks
The bolt on look looks cool, race look, but I prefer the molded look. Just a few shots of what it took to do.
Root_Werks
Left about a 3/8 lip to bond from both sides to. Easy stuff. sawzall-smiley.gif
Root_Werks
The only part I didn't like about molding them into the rest of the fender was the feathering on both rear fenders, the front of both. That is just EverCoat and it is really thin, but look how far I had to go with it to be able to put a straight edge across the fender. Dang, I hope no one ever bumps those parts! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Front, just about done.
Root_Werks
Done.
Brando
^ Optical Illusion ^

Find the car!

those are very nice looking flares... Took a lot to make them work, i see? I wonder, how much harder would it be to weld on steel flares? I know you can find them, but not as common as fiberglass...
ninefourteener
Man.... those did come out nice... definately.

My regards to the wife/girlfriend in the pic.. very nice as well.

Man.. I tell ya... the more I think about diving into a huge project like this....... the more I think i want to just sell my teener and get something that "fits" me better. Considering some of the junk I see on e-bay, I think mine would do pretty well.

Any pics of the car AFTER the fenders were cut, but BEFORE the new ones were on? I'm curious to see how much needs to be cut away.

Matt
Evill Ed
Here, check out the car I'm building for a customer. All the flare pics are there.

Ed

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/edit...bumID=111692488
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Sep 13 2004, 12:01 PM)
Here, check out the car I'm building for a customer. All the flare pics are there.

" An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in. "
Scott S
Hi Matt -
Just stumbled across the thread. It's not that big of a project. A good body shop can match that green. Most of the time I spent was getting the flare flanges straight and the same from side to side. It took me probably a week after work to get everything lined up and correctly fit. I then had to do some repair work on one flare as it had some this spots - no big deal. I painted mine myself - but the car is white and hides lots. Still, they came out just fine. The body gaskets are cheap, and the hardware is a no brainer.
Wheels however are an issue and where the investment is. I wnet with a local guy who built me 4 bolt Fikse/Kinesis knock offs. I think I paid 125 each for them and I allready had the long lugs (as do you). They were heavy however. A buddy of mine had his wheels done by compomotive - they were beautiful! Both Panasport and Revolution can also make them for you. I think they are 200 to 250 per wheel. I would not hesitate to do what you are thinking. My only objection is having different color flairs. They come white or grey, so you will have to paint them any way. Here is a teaser - panasports and all.....
Evill Ed
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 13 2004, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Sep 13 2004, 12:01 PM)

" An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in. "

Oh.....

Go to my Webshots link in my signature and click on Nick Coles 914 album.

Ed
Root_Werks
I have lots of pic's! biggrin.gif Yeah, you cut away a pretty big chunk of the fender. I like the glass flares now. Steel is better by all means, but they are $1000 from AA and I don't like AA so I choose glass. Here are a few more. This part took me about 2 hours to cut all four and screw them on. sawzall-smiley.gif

Thanks for the comments on my car... and my wife. Two of my most favorite things! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Well, there use to be a fender there! ohmy.gif
Root_Werks
Hmm, I didn't get any shots of the front fenders cut, just flares screwed on. Well, my cut line is only about 1/4-3/8 inch in from the flares, so you can see, you cut a lot out.

Also, you can sort of see in the pic above the rear cut out, I left the lower steel braces attatched. I glassed the flares onto those to add strength. smash.gif
Root_Werks
Some more POS dig camera shots.
Root_Werks
Front.....
Root_Werks
Then a few days later back from the paint shop.
I would say think about your 914 for a while. If you decide to sell, I would think you would get some decent $$$ for it, but trust me on this one, once it is gone, you WILL miss it. Gaurenteed. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.