Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bad... bad motor sounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
anybody have any ideas of what I should suspect or inspect...
I started the car up to drive to work.. probably a bit cool and maybe 60 ambient.

drove easy for 10 blocks...
easily going down the street, maybe 30mph.. probably 3rd gear.

suddenly a bad metalic tic noise.
not speed dependant, but definitely rpm dependant
sounds exactly like an old tired chevy with a stuck hydrolic lifter on start up.

pretty loud...
tic.. tic... tic...

slows down when I push the clutch in and rpms drop.
I pull over and pop the old oil bath filter off.. sounds kinda like its coming from the center of the block (not the fan as I was hoping). noise is regular but slow at idle.

I shut the motor down and feel in the fan area, but don't feel anything bad (no lost screwdrivers)

drive home easy.
when I get to the drive way I push the clutch in and blip the throttle for the first time.
noise actually kinda goes away which doesn't make much since...
I grabbed the focus, and get to work late.

I won't be able to do anything until next week now, but I thought I would do another valve adjustment (200miles since the last one). Also thought I might cut the oil filter open, and feel the fan belt well in case it is splitting or something (not likely)

what do you guys think it is?

Its a tired 1.7 djet motor that I finally just got the FI working after 3 months of learning.
its only been runnin about 200 miles on it since may.. damn.. when it rains it pours.
(1st gear is gone, tranny is a piece of junk, and now I think I've blown the motor)

fixing this is serioulsy going to cut into my race car project if I touch it.. I might just park it until next year... damn....

what should I check for fellas?
brant
redshift
Oh, ticking, idle on up.... 200 miles... adjust valves. One is tight, use factory specs until you get a grip on them.

Another item... no 1st gear... in a 1.7... you may have bent a valve when the motor was cold.

EDITED BY THE POSTERBOY FOR THE OH I SHOULD HAVE READ MORE CLOSELY FIRST CLUB

M
brant
I appreciate the encouragement..
your right... I'll get the valve covers off and see...

I'm out of town for the weekend, or else I would of already done it.. I'm very nervous and yet curious.. maybe monday night I can get a looksee.

brant
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 10 2004, 07:40 PM)
Oh, ticking

hey, don't change your post while i'm quoting you!!!

biggrin.gif Andy
redshift
Sorry to edit on ya...

I just realized there was a more direct approach, after looking at your post again..

Miles
redshift
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2004, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 10 2004, 07:40 PM)
Oh, ticking

hey, don't change your post while i'm quoting you!!!

biggrin.gif Andy

lmao see above edit of previously deleted topic.

wink.gif
brant
motor was cold, but not ice cold.. it was decently warm out, and I was not reving it at all....

yeah a 1.7 that pops out of first gear is a real bummer...

I gotta get a tranny in there, but was hoping to just change the tranny and not the motor tooo..... oh.......

brant
redshift
I didn't mean to edit out the good thoughts... these things are as likely to make you happy, as sad.

It's all about getting into the valves, and seeing what the measurements are.

M
brant
your right...
I'm going to have good thoughts !!!

yeah the FI was giving me fits and I even had to get towed home...
I adjusted the valves probably 5 times since may.. (being a little neurotic trying to rule out FI problems...)

but I just finally got it running after 4 months and have put about 200miles on it in the last 5 days....

was hoping to finally do one drivers ed event this october, before the season ended..
(I've been semi- 914less since the race car project started 3years ago)

oh.. welll..
we will see later in the week
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.