Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cutting ebrake warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
Where do I cut (override) the ebrake warning switch.
nebreitling
take out the driver's seat and look at the ebrake assembly. you'll see the switch.

i have to ask: why?
86motoman
I can't get the warning lights to stop flashing. I tried the master cylinder sensor. But it's still flashing. Frustrated...I just want the warning lights to stop. Therefore I am going to deactivate all of the warning stuff.

I replaced the ebrake with one that wasn't broke. There was no switch there. Could that be the problem?

I thought I could cut a wire behind the fuel guage to deactivate the warning lights??
SirAndy
QUOTE(86motoman @ Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM)
I thought I could cut a wire behind the fuel guage to deactivate the warning lights??

i would reconsider that approach ...

just think about that day when you go down that hill at 80mph getting ready to throw her into the next corner and you hit the brakes and .... NADA ...

your last tought before you fly over the guard rail and down into the gorge:
"hadn't i cut the wire for the *idiot* light, i would have noticed the failing MC hours ago ..."

it's called a "warning light" for a reason ...

find the real problem and fix it,
rolleyes.gif Andy
86motoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 12 2004, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE(86motoman @ Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM)

i would reconsider that approach ...

just think about that day when you go down that hill at 80mph getting ready to throw her into the next corner and you hit the brakes and .... NADA ...

your last tought before you fly over the guard rail and down into the gorge:
"hadn't i cut the wire for the *idiot* light, i would have noticed the failing MC hours ago ..."

it's called a "warning light" for a reason ...

find the real problem and fix it,
rolleyes.gif Andy

Most of the time you can feel the master cylinder going out...atleast the ones I have owned. Some people don't ride motorcycles because there dangerous to...at some point you got to start living...driving...riding. I use to have a jeep with a single master cylinder...the second one is your back up. Anyway...

I would love to fix the problem. I would love to get in my 914 and have the warning light say hey...you forgot to put your ebrake all the way down. But I have exhausted all of my resources.

I have a Haynes manual (albeit a '74, I am putting together a '72). Looking at diagrams and one paragraph ideas on how to troubleshoot. Only tires eyes...

I have posted on this site with no luck. I have the two wire master cylinder sensor which is supposedly suppose to reset itself when the master cylinder equals out.: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=2&t=16996 But I haven't even been able to find where the extra mc sensor goes? Do they both plug into the sensor (that's not how it was when I found it)...I would love to know. Manual doesn't address the two wire.

I have bled the brakes and they are good!!! I mean you press on the brakes and it goes about 1/3 of the way to the floor and no farther. (i.e. it's quite different when one end is not working)

I don't have an ebrake switch, atleast where it should be.

I have replaced the mc sensor.

I have replaced the flasher relay.

If somebody has any ideas on what I can do to get the warning light working...I would LOVE to hear it.

Otherwise will somebody please tell me how to deactivate this warning light!!!
86motoman
anyone...............anyone.......bueller...........bueller.....
sj914
If I recall corectly the wire for the e-brake is actaully a ground wire. I bet since the switch is missing, the wire is grounding itself to the car. Find that wire and you might solve that flashing warning light.
SirAndy
QUOTE(86motoman @ Sep 12 2004, 06:50 PM)
I don't have an ebrake switch, atleast where it should be.

there's your problem ....

the wire to the ebrake switch is a ground wire from the bulb that always has 12V on it. the switch grounds out when the brake is up (engaged) and therefore you see the warn light blink. when the lever is down the switch is supposed to cut the ground off.

if you don't have the switch, the brown ground wire is most likely dangeling somewhere behind your backpad, shortening out and causeing the light to be on all the time.

find the wire that is supposed to go to the switch and make sure it's not grounded anywhere ...

wink.gif Andy
86motoman
Right on! aktion035.gif Thanks guys...I'll get on it in the morning. beerchug.gif
mercdev
86motoman, just for reference here's a couple shots from my '76
mercdev
#2 (look down on left-side of drivers seat)
sgomes
That's not a burn is it???? ohmy.gif
mercdev
QUOTE(sgomes @ Sep 13 2004, 09:00 AM)
That's not a burn is it???? ohmy.gif

heh, yeah. If you think that's bad you should see some of the other PO wonders I'm dealing with blink.gif
86motoman
Thanks guys...found the wire...it was grounding out. I haven't been able to check if that stopped the warning yet because I need to put the mc sensor back together. That's next...my problem is I have two wires with separate female connectors and only one male connector on the sensor. Does anybody know why this is? Should I just connect them both to the sensor?
86motoman
Now that the ebrake switch is not grounded (unless it has a short somewhere...), this is how the two wires going to the master cylinder (mc) switch act.

- Both wires connected together but not touching anything including the sensor: The warning light blinks just like if the hazards were on.

- Wires not touching each other or anything else: The warning light stays a dim solid and the flasher relay tries to buzz.

- Each wire separately connected to the mc sensor (the other touching nothing): The warning light stays a dim solid but no more buzzing by the relay flasher.

Any thoughts?
86motoman
My manual doesn't tell me what the orange light on the left of the fuel guage is? It has a "G" inside an icon. This light is also being slightly affected by my connections. It has been constanstly on...but when the hazards go to the dim constantly lit...the orange light flickers a little.

What is this light? It is directly across from the oil light. Also the fuel guage does work.
sj914
That would be your alternator light.
mercdev
QUOTE(86motoman @ Sep 13 2004, 12:18 PM)
Now that the ebrake switch is not grounded (unless it has a short somewhere...), this is how the two wires going to the master cylinder (mc) switch act.

- Both wires connected together but not touching anything including the sensor: The warning light blinks just like if the hazards were on.

- Wires not touching each other or anything else: The warning light stays a dim solid and the flasher relay tries to buzz.

- Each wire separately connected to the mc sensor (the other touching nothing): The warning light stays a dim solid but no more buzzing by the relay flasher.

Any thoughts?

What are the colors of the two wires?
86motoman
EDIT: One wire is solid brown. The other is brown with a white stripe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.