Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshift to side shift conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
Can the tailshift to side shift conversion be done with the engine in the car?
MXMARK
I think I pulled my motor when I did mine. You have to change the front motor mount bracket on the case, the rubber mounts, the cross bar and the outer mounts on the body. All of these where from the sideshift car. The shifter in the car and the linkage was swaped. [B]A new Bushing at the fire wall That fits the old hole and new smaller rod.

I Might have done it with the engine in the car but it was tough getting to the front engine mount bolts. Wow my memory is getting bad. I can't remeber if the engine was in or out. You will have to hold the engine up anyway. Sorry I was no help at all. Thanks Mark
lapuwali
It's somewhat easier to wrestle the new gearbox onto the engine with the engine out, anyway. Lower it onto an appliance cart, swap the gearboxes and the mounting bars, and you get the opportunity to clean up the front of the engine bay, too. You could even do the easiest valve adjustment you'll ever do while you're there.
MXMARK
You could swap your fuel line at the same time. Mark
SirAndy
can be done, but it's much easier (and faster) with the engine out.
you need to replace the engine mount bar anyways. the tranny is much easier to work with if the engine is out.
make sure you get all brand new bushings for your new shift linkage, including the *correct* adapter bushing for the firewall. make sure the new linkage is not worn or bend before install, there should be no twisty play in the couplers.
you can do it in one saturday.
oh, btw. it's *much* easier if you have another set of hands. get a friend who knows a bit about working on cars to help you out ...

smash.gif Andy
jr91472
Chris,

I am doing that very thing right now. Just finished installing new tranny with engine still in the car. Next I was able to fairly easily remove the cross member and inboard mount brackets. But as stated previously, this is when you wish the engine was out.

Tomarrow I will work in installing the new inboard brackets and new cross member. I can tell you for sure that I will not be able to get a torque wrench on the two upper bolts for the bracket. Medium length rachet - yes, longer torque wrench - no

If possible, I would remove the engine as it will clearly be easier. But to answer your question, yes it is possible.

If interested, I can provide more details/hints I found along the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.