Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F/S! Nice, unbroken, all fins intact, engine cooling fan!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cap'n Krusty
OK, you win, I'll drop the price! 55 bucks apiece, you pay the freight! No broken fins, no cracks, no no. I'll make sure yours is marked for your particular engine.

The Cap'n
914ltd
Cap'n Great price! Possibly a majority of these have broken fins from using a pry bar to turn the engine. Another balance issue is if they have been disassembled to paint. Brad Mayeur
euro911
QUOTE(914ltd @ Feb 29 2012, 05:16 AM) *
... Another balance issue is if they have been disassembled to paint. Brad Mayeur
I pulled that stunt - once dry.gif ... I couldn't believe all the holes the balance shop had to drill into the back side blink.gif
ThePaintedMan
Yikes! We're not supposed to paint them? Uh oh... What if it was never disassembled but just shot with rustoleum?
euro911
It's OK to paint them. The balance problem comes into play when they're disassembled (to bead blast, etc). The pulley and fan units are balanced as a unit and if taken apart, everything must be put back together in the same exact position.
Nie Zu Alt
PM Sent
Cap'n Krusty
OK. It's nearly the end of the year, and I need this thing to go away. I can't believe nobody here needs a good, unbroken, engine fan. Help me get the barn cleaned out!

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
Sold, paid for, and shipped! Thanks! The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
Came across another one! It's early, takes the triple square bolts. Dirty but intact. $55 and shipping. I DO NOT have the bolts!
tweet
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 1 2012, 12:50 PM) *

It's OK to paint them. The balance problem comes into play when they're disassembled (to bead blast, etc). The pulley and fan units are balanced as a unit and if taken apart, everything must be put back together in the same exact position.

How can they be re-balanced? Is there anyone that does this work. Should they be painted and then re-balanced? I have one that is off the engine, but still assembled and another that is apart.
bdstone914
QUOTE(tweet @ Jul 17 2014, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 1 2012, 12:50 PM) *

How can they be re-balanced? Is there anyone that does this work. Should they be painted and then re-balanced? I have one that is off the engine, but still assembled and another that is apart.

Try contacting a local engine rebuilder. It is a rotating part just like a flywheel or clutch.
The factory manual might say how close they were balanced. Most of the engine components had loose specs for balancing and variation.
I have to wonder how much balancing affects them having seen fans with thick dirt build up on the fins.
tweet
Thanks Bruce. When I originally took it apart, that was my initial thought. The fan I took apart had melted plastic, oxidation and rust. So I figured it just would never work correctly like that. I needed to separate the parts to clean it up. I just always assumed there would be shops that can balance them again. I don't know about shops that drill holes in them though. I guess when the time comes, I'll have to choose carefully and ask a lot of questions.
JStroud
Any good machine shop should be able to balance a fan.
Cap'n Krusty
ONE left!

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.