Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QUICK, WHAT ARE PORSCHE AND VW PARTS ON 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Need you backing in an online debate on how much true Porsche it is versus made and assembled by VW.

True Porsche designed and manufactued is the 901 2.0 motor and front suspension, but what else??

The 914 uses more or less the same Type IV engine that was in the 411, 412, and late Transporter (Bus, Vanagon).
76-914
I think the 2.0 was their baby. I also heard that mfg dates effect the correct answer.
Tom_T
Debate killers:

914 was a joint venture project - VW-Porsche - which built both 4s & 6s, and which Porsche bought out VW in 1974 IIRC (or thereabouts).

356 started as a Porsche body/chassis with a VW motor - souped-up a bit, and many other running gear & other parts, plus a mish-mash of parts from various suppliers & used on other European cars, & which varied within model years. It wasn't pure Porsche either!

The 924/944/968 was a VW designed by Porsche for VW with an Audi/VW motor, which Porsche took over from VW when they passed on producing it, so it too was in fact a VW built by Porsche.

Moreover, many think that any & all water-cooled Porsches aren't "real Porsches"!

So what really is a NARP? confused24.gif

I say that the 914 naysayers/NARPies are so full of themselves & uniformed! Therefore, they really don't warrant much attention, since you probably won't change their mind in any case! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 28 2012, 06:38 PM) *

I think the 2.0 was their baby. I also heard that mfg dates effect the correct answer.

agree.gif

The Porsche racing engineer who designed the 917 motor did the 2.0 /4. There's a topic on O&H on that...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...44&t=101937
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 28 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Need you backing in an online debate on how much true Porsche it is versus made and assembled by VW.

True Porsche designed and manufactued is the 901 and front suspension, but what else??

Actually, the 914 gearbox (the one you call a 901) was probably manufactured under license by VW. The suspension, while nearly the same as that of a 911, is different in some respects. As to the 2 liter engine being "Porsche", the heads are of Porsche design, the rest of the engine (except for the changes necessary to accommodate the head design and fitment to the car) is pure VW.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
QUICK, WHAT ARE PORSCHE AND VW PARTS ON 914?

ALL OF THEM!

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 28 2012, 06:21 PM) *
assembled by VW

confused24.gif

The cars were built and assembled by Karmann ...
shades.gif
RickS
Thanks guys, that should be enough ammo.
JeffBowlsby
Porsche designed the 914 for VW. When the 914/6 didn't sell well, it was dropped and Porsche developed the 2.0L/4, as a replacement, essentially upgrading the 1.7L.
a914622
Realllly? You got into an online debate about what came first the chicken or the egg?

VW and porsche are like the Lexus/toyotas of today. Shared and different at the same time.

As late as 1990 Porsche made a small run of vanagons with the porsche engine,brakes,tranny,and there own inside goodys. So ya I would say all of it is Porsche because the VW dealers never sold them!

jcl
Madswede
I'm not sure that this is a truly worthwhile debate topic. Not for nothing was the German version of the 914 badged as "VW-Porsche" after all. In my opinion, the appropriate response to the question in the topic heading is an emphatic "YES!" Dave Darling beat me to the punch on that one though. beerchug.gif
mrholland2
Technically, aren't all VW's really Porsches by development and ancestry?
euro911
Yes, and VW currently owns Porsche.
TheCabinetmaker
Stupid topic for a debate. Its neither. its a 914.

STOP YELLING AT US!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.