Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SpecialK
Everything you ever wanted to know about 'copper', but really couldn't have gave a shit less.

Do check out the "typical uses" section at the bottom of the site's page.

http://www.copper.org/resources/properties...&unit_type=Both
ottox914
couple weeks ago I started a thread "heating with headers" that covered the your thoughts of something up the existing heater spaces in the rockers. If I knew how to paste the link I would...
SpecialK
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Sep 18 2004, 08:15 PM)
couple weeks ago I started a thread "heating with headers" that covered the your thoughts of something up the existing heater spaces in the rockers. If I knew how to paste the link I would...

Go to the thread you described, right click on the 'address' at the top of the page (browser), go back to this post, add reply, right click again and 'paste' the link. There's probably an easier way, but I'm a computer DA. blink.gif
machina
I came across this image a long time ago. Someone's GT project. Nice copper lines.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get tube clamps like these?

dr
SpecialK
Wow! That's clean looking!

I haven't seen clamps like that before, but you can accomplish the same thing (securing and spacing) using two of these clamps, and one common attach screw.

They're available at Aircraft Spruce for like $0.39 each.
street legal go-kart
First I am putting the cooler in the rear alongside the tranny.
Reasons are shorter hose length , less chance of damage and I need my trunk as the car is a driver.
Types of plumbing are all debateable but the old guy who helped us with various boats including a top fuel hydro and both the roundy round cars would never use hard lines unless they were steel. He also did not use solid wiring/single strand for the same reasons. One break and you are done. The chances of something severe happening are just too great. He also would frown on the use of steel braided covered hose in anything but a pure race rig as you cannot inspect the hose from time to time. The choice was always 300psi high temp Gates green stripe .

JT
J P Stein
Funny thing about old guys......I know a shit load of em'.

Some have 30-40 years of experience.
Some have 1 year's experience 30-40 times.

The trick is tellin' which is which.
McMark
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ Sep 19 2004, 08:14 AM)
First I am putting the cooler in the rear alongside the tranny.
Reasons are shorter hose length , less chance of damage and I need my trunk as the car is a driver.

Plus you get free ambient heat from the engine, exhaust, and tranny! biggrin.gif Yippee! But seriously, you can get a little bit of cooling back there, but not a bunch. Even with an electric fan. If you need a lot of cooling, you might want to consider other options.
ottox914
here's the link to heating with headers (hopefully)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ng+with+headers

how about using the factory a/c condenser in the front trunk location? it comes with a box, fan, air scoop, a path for air in and air out, all in one self contained box.... I tallked to a guy at a track day in TX who was using the factory a/c box w/holes cut in front, the front behind the bumper plugs out, no ducting between the 2, and one large radiator w/thermostatically controlled fan, oil thermostat from the engine to the cooler. He said that set up dropped his temps 50 degrees!

I do think for the best cooling, hard to beat the factory GT system, but thats based more on observation than experience. How about it? Use the A/C option for those of us who like the stock front end.
Randal
Here's a couple of pictures of my setup

This is beautiful work. How many cfm's is the fan?
Series9
I don't know about the fan volume, but then engine (3.6 with no on-engine cooler) doesn't run hot at all. The fan is a Spal(?), I think. I can check when I get home. My design is a little different, but I wanted the fan to not only pull air across the cooler, but also remove heat from the tank and filter. I has worked fine so far.

I'll be happy to post specific pictures and/or answer questions.

Joe
Brad Roberts
I have spoken to Chuck Moreland more than once about doing the finned copper lines for a 914 (he sells them for early 911's..Elephant racing). If I can get more than 6 orders.. he will do them.

B
d7n7master
At The Boeing Co. we call those "marriage clamps". We use them all over the place where you need to maintain separation between the tubes. Look in any MaMaster-Carr catalog.
G beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
"marriage clamps" = wedding rings, no? wink.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Sep 20 2004, 10:37 AM)
At The Boeing Co. we call those "marriage clamps".

AUGGH.......another troll from the lazy B. This BBS....er ...forum is going down the tubes. Boeing of Poland is the bridge I live under. laugh.gif
GaroldShaffer
Copper oil lines in the rockers.
I thought somebody would say something about that.

Ok I know NOTHING about any of this but..... I ran AX Saturday and there was a 74 -6 conversion owned by Richard Gonzales and he has his cooler mount along the passenger side long. Looked to be two finned cooling tubes with the outer rocker panel cut to fit exposing the fins. I asked him how well that worked and he said no problems around town and AXing. He did say that when he ran a DE event with the PCA guys the temps got hot. It was a 20 min session and he left the track after 15min. He did say it was 95+ outside that day. I asked why he did it this way instead of a front mounted cooler and he told me that he didn't want to lose the front trunk space.
Anyway it looked slick. Sorry, I didn't have my camera with me, I will next month.

- Garold

PS - he sells 914 parts, you can find him in the classified section in pano. Maybe he could email you some pics of his setup confused24.gif
d7n7master
Hey, JP,
bootyshake.gif I'm at the McDonnell Douglas - Boeing in Long Beach, Ca.
We don't play troll games... We ROCK!!! Takes ten northern boyz to do my job & then they send it to "engineering-check".
Really liked your reference to "tubes" though. laugh.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Sep 21 2004, 05:46 PM)
Hey, JP,
bootyshake.gif I'm at the McDonnell Douglas - Boeing in Long Beach, Ca.
We don't play troll games... We ROCK!!! Takes ten northern boyz to do my job & then they send it to "engineering-check".
Really liked your reference to "tubes" though. laugh.gif

McDonnell Douglas/Boeing St. Louis....F-15K
Trekkor
Those copper tubes in the rockers were bold looking.
I thought I would be the inventer of the copper cooling tubes headbang.gif

Always, too late.

KT
Trekkor
Anything else you'd like to add, before I go with the 1/2" soft copper tubing with flared fittings?

KT
IronHillRestorations
I used a 25 row Mocal cooler and put it in the right rear wheelhouse, opposite side of the 914-6 oil tank, and it worked pretty well, and was fairly easy to plumb. The most difficult part was getting the right mounting location and reaching up into that slim area to bolt everything up. I had mounted a Spal fan directly to the cooler with a thermostat that didn't work right and burned the fan out after a while.

That was with a 3.0 with Webers, and it never ran hot, even on long trips in the summer. I never did any autox or DE stuff with that car though (unfortunately).
ClayPerrine
A friend of mine here in the DFW area is a PCA club racer. He runs a 914 2.0, and he has a very nice oil cooler setup. He put a cooler at the rear next to the transmission, and ran it into the oil filter adapter. It's mounted vertically, with a duct on the front side of it that tapers it down to the size of the heater hose used on a 914 (the flexible orange stuff). He then took to shop vac ends with the wide nozzles, and replaced the flaps on the front of the engine compartment with them. They hang below the front edge of the engine compartment, and they force cold air into the cooler at the back of the motor. He runs 190 degree oil temp on a 100 degree day with track temps in the 140s. He does not use a fan on it either. The heating on the engine happens when the car is moving, not sitting still.

I have a full setup of what he runs that I will put on my car if the temps run too hot.
dflesburg
Duh,

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.