Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stuck cyl/head stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrHyde
Ive been taking out the studs on the engine case today so I can send it to the machine shop to have the cylinder registers squared up, but I'm stuck on 2 studs... I've soaked them in pb blaster off and on for days and I've tried a little bit of heat on them with an MPS torch. Not a lot of heat because i don't want to f up the case. Any hints on getting these 2 studs out ??
Thanks,
Mike

mepstein
Have the machine shop do it.
6freak
some one put "RED" loctite on them Mother F#@*#@ ..... lol-2.gif ..
good luck
MikeC
914Mels
Try more heat. Also a mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid may penetrate better than what you are using. Go 50/50 with the mix.
jimkelly
isn't the block magnesium - once on fire - hard to put out - like trans ???
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 4 2012, 10:03 AM) *

isn't the block magnesium - once on fire - hard to put out - like trans ???

some are. but most are aluminum. magnesium will have AS41 cast into the sump.
bulitt
Some local autoparts stores will lend you tools. Ask for a stud remover-
Stud Remover
MrHyde
Well.. I thinks I'll focus more on my cutting/welding on the body and let the machine shop take care of it... I tired again a few times over the day and couldn't get them to budge. All other studs and dowels came out without a hitch... Cheers
6freak
so your at a died end and i hate F n hammers...if it were me i would double nut it and hit it with a 20oz ballpin not really hard just a good solid strait on blow twice.I have had to do that with big aluminum electric motor casings that have had some kind of thread locker applied
lotta times it works ..little shock therapy....good luck
MikeC.. smile.gif
6freak
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 4 2012, 02:25 PM) *

Some local autoparts stores will lend you tools. Ask for a stud remover-
Stud Remover

never seen such a tool ,,COOL..i would give that a try for sure
Mark Henry
They can be a bitch but I've never had one break, double or triple nut it it and give it a good twist. She will give a loud snap (sound) when the threads break loose.
Worse case you can also heat the stud cherry red and dunk it in water (repeat several times) and this will break the rust on the stud threads. This method the stud must be cold before you wrench it and will need to be replaced.
McMark
You're not going to overheat the case with anything but OxyAc torch and even then you'll have to hit it for awhile (10m?) before you really put too much heat in it. But basically, you can't hurt it.
6freak
heat the case not the stud ...jmo then use that cool tool

MikeC smile.gif
6freak
any luck getting them studs out confused24.gif
MrHyde
I'm gonna let the machine shop take care of it. I'll be dropping it off there next time I'm on afternoons
6freak
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Mar 10 2012, 02:17 PM) *

I'm gonna let the machine shop take care of it. I'll be dropping it off there next time I'm on afternoons

lets us know what they do to remove it ...Thanks

MikeC smile.gif
VaccaRabite
When I had a stuck stud the dude used a torch on the case and a wet rag on the stud. Turned it right out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.