Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top question - how to store in trunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
Hi World !

I'm a newbie here - we picked up a '74 914 1.8 last week. Fun car so far! Really getting a kick out of it and fixing the little things with it (odometer, etc..) Many thanks to the tech articles and search engine on here!

Enjoying the nice weather, we took the car out for our first "fun" drive - so of course we took the top off. But we couldn't figure out how to store it in the trunk.

I see the clips near the engine bay, and at the rear, the rubber pads - just couldn't figure out which end goes where? Also doesn't help that the springs are not on the trunk - so someone has to hold the trunk up.

Can someone tell me specifically how to store the top in the trunk? Which end goes where?

Thanks!

Chris
(auto_cran)
TheCabinetmaker
Its not rocket science. The front goes to the front, and the rear goes to the rear. Easy
6freak
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 4 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Its not rocket science. The front goes to the front, and the rear goes to the rear. Easy

he said he was new ...ease up slap.gif

welcome.png Cris you have come to the right spot for ? and conversation lots of very savy 914 guys(Not me av-943.gif )..they are a blast to drive huh...you really need to do a pelvic exam on your little hotrod to make sure its safe and sound to drive ...check the spot where the jack goes into the side of the rocker ...get an icepick and start poken round there and under the battery tray and where all the cables go through the fire wall behind the seats and under said seats ...good luck
MikeC smile.gif
Jeffs9146
Some times you have to pivot the latches to fit into the cups in the trunk!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 4 2012, 04:20 PM) *
pivot the latches to fit into the cups in the trunk!

That's the key to fit it correctly. The large cups towards the front are there to hold the latches while the rear rubber is supposed to clip around the rear of the top.
The rear rubber clips are often broken.

welcome.png beerchug.gif
auto_cran
Thanks for the tips - got it. Had no idea the cups are there for the latches... Thanks for mentioning it, Jeff.

Definitely not rocket science, but I know better than to 'force' anything on a 38 year old car - and those white plastic tabs look like they could break easily if I forced the wrong end in there.

MikeC - thanks for the welcome. Before deciding to buy, I did some research(buyers guide check list) as well as read tons of posts on here. So far, the car checks out well. It's not perfect and there are some things that need fixing, which I have started to address. I'll have tons more questions, no doubt, but for now, the Search Engine is my right hand man!

Thanks Andy - once I heard about the cups for the latches, it all came together. The rear rubber clips on mine appear new.

Chris
(auto_cran)
1970 Neun vierzehn
Chris, glad to have you as a 914 owner/operator. Some members here have a skewed and/or warped sense of humor, all want to help, but once again, not everyone of us have the tools, know-how, time, or answers.
And, again welcome.png

Paul
struckn
welcome.png
6freak
ya did your home work good for you ....and theres always something to put a wrench on there old hobby cars for sure...have fun
MikeC smile.gif
bembry
Yeah--don't force it. Otherwise your trunk will look like many other 914s (including mine), with a tweaked rear hood (bent up in one or both corners).
aharder
welcome.png
jt914-6
welcome.png
and
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
johannes
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 7 2012, 02:23 PM) *

welcome.png
and
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif

jsayre914
welcome.png

I couldnt imagine putting the top in and out without trunk springs huh.gif If you can do that, you are very skilled. lol biggrin.gif

Open the engine bay and see if the springs are there, they are long metal wire looking things that are attached to the car right under the plastic cups described earlier in this thread.

If they are there, all you need is the roller wheel mounted to the top sides of the engine bay, sometimes this bolt is sheered off, sometimes the whole plate rips off. Most likely the reason the springs are not attached.

do a search here for trunk springs, there are a lot of threads how to fix or replace this problem, there is also a vendor here that sells a bolt on replacment.

beerchug.gif
jsayre914
Try this thread

TRUNK SPRINGS

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Or just get the pneumatic lift kit from Camp Counselor Craig of CAMP914. (I don't remember if Pelican carries a lift kit, but lots of places do.) It takes some stress off of the rear trunk hinges, and means you never have to deal with those stinking torsion rods again!

(I got whacked by one of those torsion rods once, and won't ever forget it!)

--DD
auto_cran
Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

First off - I'll get some pics of the car soon. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days - next time I get the car out, I'll get some photos and display here or on a new thread.

I used a long extension pole to hold the trunk open - and after reading the tips you all supplied, I was able to get it in place (I just had to be super careful not to knock over the pole!).

As for the springs -I did some reading (again, the Search on here is GREAT!) and decided to go to the shocks. I already have the ones form Craig (CAMP914) on the way. During the rainy weekend, I hope to install them. Also picked up some odds & ends from Pelicans.

Thanks again - and I owe you all some pics!

Chris
(auto_cran)
messix
who the hell is signed in under crandels[6freak aka mike c] user name and wtf did you do with him!!??? shades.gif

this warm and fuzzy shit is not crandel!!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 7 2012, 05:14 PM) *

who the hell is signed in under crandels[6freak aka mike c] user name and wtf did you do with him!!??? shades.gif

this warm and fuzzy shit is not crandel!!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif

no one or nothing had pissed me off yet laugh.gif

Mr Auto cran we could sure use a picture ...we all like to drool over 914s
MikeC smile.gif ....Oh wait ..I was supposed to say I am trying to change my image Troy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.