Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injector Connectors available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
My #4 fuel injector connector on my '70 1.7 is routinely coming loose and falling out of the injector. I'd like to get a new connector to put onto my harness. Anyone know where I can get these? I'd rather not have to solder to the injector connector tabs wacko.gif

-Tony
3liter914-6
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Sep 17 2004, 04:25 PM)
My #4 fuel injector connector on my '70 1.7 is routinely coming loose and falling out of the injector. I'd like to get a new connector to put onto my harness. Anyone know where I can get these? I'd rather not have to solder to the injector connector tabs wacko.gif

-Tony

Punching in MSD-2400 at Summit racing gets you 8 of these for $15
IPB Image

That's what I'm going to use for my 914-6 and to convert my V8 Volvo to megasquirt.
Backordered till 10/3 right now though...
lapuwali
I'm not certain those connectors will work on D-Jet injectors. Remember these are OLD injectors, some of the first commerically available EFI injectors. The normal D-Jet connector fits entirely inside the injector's connector housing, it doesn't go around it on the outside. The connectors should should probably work on L-Jet injectors, and on newer injectors from other makes. D-Jet injectors, however, have a different connector.

Sorry, I don't know where you can get the correct connector. Jeff Bowlsby (see vendor's section) refurbishes injector harnesses, so you should probably contact him.
McMark
Those will work. 100% If it makes you feel better, you can cut/grind off the outer shield. They will work.
3liter914-6
Nope. They fit just fine. The retention system has changed somewhat over the years, but the lip on the outer edge of the injector connector is more than enough to keep the clip in place.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 17 2004, 06:15 PM)
Those will work.  100%  If it makes you feel better, you can cut/grind off the outer shield.  They will work.

Mark, you couldn't have been a little bit quicker? I had to go out to the garage, IN THE RAIN, to get these pics. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
I stand corrected, and happily, too. Those new connectors are waterproof, and the early ones, aren't.

One more step on getting my Megasquirt harness made...
TonyAKAVW
Wow, thanks for the replies. I'll order some of those connectors! I'm planning on doing megasquirt soon myself, so this is a good find. Good to know that they work on the early injectors. My 1.8 seemed to have a slightly different connector but I suppose its just the harness end that looks different.

-Tony
JeffBowlsby
Anything will work if you want it too bad enough. Why not use the correct parts? They are all available.

The D-Jet FI hardware works just fine if its maintained and not abused. The plastic housings, wire terminals and boots are made to fit the D-Jet injectors and the rubber boots fit snugly over the whole connection to keep it water tight. This simple system has its weaknesses, but its quite serviceable and reliable.

L-Jet hardware is one of the major improvements to FI systems over D-Jet in that everything in that system was rethought and improved. Its watertight too, if maintained, as there is a gasket internal to the housings where they mate and the rubber boot only attaches to the outer housing. It has a cool spring clip on the housing and uses springclip wire terminals to fight loosening from vibration. The system is still used today on nearly every contemporary FI system in existence its that good.

But putting the outer L-Jet housing over the inner D-Jet fitting on the injectors does not give you a reliable connection. Notice how the L-Jet outer housing has to be turned upside down to fit the injectors and there is a big gap between the fittings? Liquids, dirt and corrosion will still find their way into that feeble arrangement and then you not only have a dirty unreliable condition...you've hacked into your harness with non-standard, modified parts. Mechanics freak out when they see this nonsense...if they will even touch your car after seeing those games. Whats even worse...the future owner of your car will be calling you the DPO... sad.gif

I don't understand why people even consider hacking these cars and their parts when the job can be done correctly with the correct parts. 'Upgrades' are another matter...this is not an upgrade. Respect these cars and they will perform for you, hack 'em and they may leave you walkin'. rolleyes.gif

My 2% of a dollar laugh.gif
3liter914-6
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 17 2004, 11:48 PM)
Notice how the L-Jet outer housing has to be turned upside down to fit the injectors and there is a big gap between the fittings?

Actually, the fitting is installed right side up, there's a notch cut into to clips to fit the fuel barbs, so they only install one way. Here's the clip installed on one of my coveted browntop injectors
3liter914-6
For the sealing, no the outer connector seal does not mate with the connector and seal it as well as the l-jet it was designed for. If you were concerned about it you could probably make a pretty functional boot out of some 3:1 heat shrink, double up on the seals, or like I did install a thicker seal from a similar style clip. I think the ones I used were off a TPS harness for a Subaru Impreza. Pic #1
3liter914-6
The connector is pretty much the same as the bosch clip, so it drops right in:
3liter914-6
The seal is a good bit thicker than the normal one, so when installed the seal is compressed quite nicely, in this pic the connector isn't even fully pressed on. Yes, it's not perfect, and a solution in search of a problem, but I feel the connection is tight and secure--unlike the old djet connectors, which would pop off with the merest bump. Granted they are 30 years old, and new ones would likely have fit quite snugly, but I had these on hand, didn't know where to procure the djet connectors, and didn't want to hack up my brother's stock harness to fabricate the new MS one.
McMark
I hear where you're coming from Jeff. I didn't know the originals where still available.
TonyAKAVW
Jeff: I would prefer to use the correct connector, but you offer no advice on where to procure such connectors. Furthermore, I wonder how many people have actual intact rubber boots on their injectors after 35 years (that is, boots with some remaining elasticity and no cracks). So maybe these are available new somewhere too?

So I agree that using the right part is usually preferable to hacking something up. I think one of the reasons people do this kind of stuff (and I hate it) is because of ignorance. In my case, and it seems others, there is ignorance on where to get these components. This ignorance could be corrected, and I think one of the biggest successes of this forum is to spread knowledge like this.

Anyway, unless I find a source for the CORRECT connectors I'll probably take 3liter's advice, as it seems fairly well thought out.

-Tony
3liter914-6
hmm.. I'm not sure I actually want people taking my advice...kinda scary if I think about it. I'd bet that since Jeff says they're available, you can probably get them at a Porsche or VW dealer (maybe Volvo as well), or maybe from a WorldPac distributor, they seem to have a lot of handy stuff. If you're interested, I can send you the clip with seal from the photograph, and you can determine for yourself whether you're comfortable with the way the connector fits and seals.
markb
Ask the Cap'n. I believe I've seen new ones around the shop.
TonyAKAVW
Cool. Will do.

-Tony
crash914
You can get the original D-jet type connectors...go to an import parts place and look in the back of the Beck-Arnley catalog.

You can get pigtails, plugs and connectors...I don't remember the part # right now, but I think it is like 14-156 or something.

I had to have the parts mailed to me as they were not in stock. Took a couple of days.

This was last fall, so should still be valid

good luck..
gklinger
Napa has the D-Jet connectors, part no. 2-17424. That said, here is what I did...

Used the new style connectors and cut off the extended part of the housing. Drilled a small hole through both sides just behind where the raised lip of the injector sits inside when installed. Found these clips at the hardware store that fit through to lock the connector and prevent it from pulling off the injector. Also found at Napa a Bosch boot (2-18414) that fits these connectors. Makes a clean install. Here's some pics:
gklinger
two
gklinger
three
gklinger
four
gklinger
five
gklinger
six
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.