Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Return Port
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Is anyone familiar with this?

Click to view attachment

I'm attempting to install the fittings for the send and return ports and I'm finding a conical rubber stopper in the return port. Is this suppose to be there? It's inconceivable that someone reached into the tank and put it there so I'm imagining there's a reason for it's existence. Currently I can't imagine what that reason is.

Click to view attachment

Anyone? confused24.gif
Krieger
It is not April fools yet Eric.
r_towle
smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
I think I figured it out and, why I couldn't get it to operate. This basically plugs the fuel return line. I was using air against it and, air compresses. As a fluid pushes against it, this should flex up enough to let the fluid back into the tank but, not allow the fluid to return out to the pump through the return line.

Pretty ingenious little tool if that is indeed how it works.

Someone with their tank out have a look cause these bone heads think I've been torquing one up! biggrin.gif
914itis
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2012, 01:16 AM) *

I think I figured it out and, why I couldn't get it to operate. This basically plugs the fuel return line. I was using air against it and, air compresses. As a fluid pushes against it, this should flex up enough to let the fluid back into the tank but, not allow the fluid to return out to the pump through the return line.

Someone with their tank out have a look cause these bone heads think I've been torquing one up! biggrin.gif

I always wonder what differs the return from the delivery.
Eric_Shea
Size and feature set.

The supply line is a larger opening completely through into the tank. This allows for the long screen to be placed over the end of the nozzle and into the tank. it has the larger 10mm nozzle

The return is a smaller 7mm nozzle. It does not go direct into the tank as you can see here, it feeds into a smaller chamber that goes into the tank.
Mike Bellis
My tank did not have it. Return usually should be free flowing and not an automatic pressure releif valve.
Eric_Shea
Return usually should be free flowing and not an automatic pressure releif valve

Why is that Mike? Is this a FI thing that keeps a certain amont of pressure on the line?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 12 2012, 09:34 PM) *

Return usually should be free flowing and not an automatic pressure releif valve

Why is that Mike? Is this a FI thing that keeps a certain amont of pressure on the line?

A rubber plug is not callibrated and can get worn and come loose. The pressure regulator (callibrated) is usually on the return line right after the fuel rail. This keeps the supply line pressurized and allows free flowing return fuel.
SLITS
Ok ... of the five (5) fuel tanks I just examined, none of them have the plug you show. The have a cap with about a 3/16" hole in them for the return. No separate "tank" that they feed into.

Looks like someone used a rubber expanding freeze plug and cut the top of the bolt off for whatever reason.

or they drove a piece of rod into the hole

But you're building one of them pinky lifter / gold chain cars and don't need a return anyway.
McMark
I bet you had the tank coated by a shop, and they left that in there from when they coated it (inside or out). wink.gif

There is NOTHING but steel in the tank body. No fancy anything. Just a steel can with a couple threaded fittings on the bottom.
Eric_Shea
It was in there before it was coated. I just did the POR coating. This is a 74 tank if that matters...
Eric_Shea
You can't really get a hand in the tank to install this. I doubt a shop put it in. That and the fact that it is the prefect diameter to fit in the return nipple. confused24.gif
McMark
Then someone dropped it in and it got wedged there. It isn't supposed to be there and it's only going to cause you headaches down the road.
Eric_Shea
I hate you. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
Eric, i'm sorry someone put something in your bunghole.

I'm sure this too shall pass. tongue.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 13 2012, 09:01 AM) *

Eric, i'm sorry someone put something in your bunghole.

I'm sure this too shall pass. tongue.gif

Who are you and why are you posting here?

Eric always has something in his bunghole .. not that there is anything wrong with that.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 13 2012, 10:47 AM) *

Then someone dropped it in and it got wedged there. It isn't supposed to be there and it's only going to cause you headaches down the road.

agree.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2012, 12:16 AM) *

That's a good story!
wingnut86
Agreed on the coating plugs, used in Powder Coat as well. Another reason is hole epoxy retention, but that shit is thicker than Eric's nose hairz, and it's also in the wrong damn olace for sure.

Eric - walk into the light now, boogeyman is gone biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
IIRC there is a riser on the return line inside the tank. It is used to make the fuel come out higher so the pump doesn't pick up hot fuel again.

76-914
popcorn[1].gif I think Clay may be onto something here. Interesting!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.