Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack supports
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black914_4
I was thinking of cutting the jack holes back a little bit and filling in the rocker panels to give it a cleaner look. I kinda dont like the way they poke out of the rocker panels.

What do you guys think?
Rand
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 12 2012, 07:41 PM) *

I was thinking of cutting the jack holes back a little bit and filling in the rocker panels to give it a cleaner look. I kinda dont like the way they poke out of the rocker panels.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you. But dig carefully, and if you find rust in those jack plates (which you probably will), I vote for taking them all the way down to the long and good clean metal. Clean it up good and shave the rockers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 12 2012, 07:41 PM) *
What do you guys think?

I think the plastic covers for the posts work well to hide them ...
shades.gif
Rand
Maybe you'll get lucky under there and all you'll need is plastic covers.
Rand
If you are lucky and it's ok under there, then yes, place the plugs. It won't be smooth, but it will be factory. I guess I was just thinking about what was underneath too. You know how this typically goes.
914werke
I think....
If your gonna mod it, then go all the way.
Cut out the support plate as well and replace with a section of flat stock to remove any area for dirt to collect and rot to take hold.

I posted a poll thread a while back, about who has ever.. or how often in the last.. used the jack posts on their car to raise it.
IMHO they (the jack posts) are body damage waiting to happen.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 12 2012, 09:32 PM) *
I posted a poll thread a while back, about who has ever.. or how often in the last.. used the jack posts on their car to raise it.

I use them all the time ...
confused24.gif
Gint
So do I.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm one of those who had body damage to my car when the jack point failed. The car was only five years old then. I removed both of them and filled in the hole in the valance. I've never used one since on any car, and like the clean look. Its your car, do what you want to it.
mrbubblehead
i use my jack posts too. what are going to do if you get a flat, out on the road?
TheCabinetmaker
I carry a small walmart floor jack.
pilothyer
If and when you do use the factory jack, you should always chock the wheels on the other side front and rear.............ever wonder why so many factory jacks are severely twisted ? (probably not since we all know) Any way I think the factory jack points are very handy for getting the car up to work on it, especiall when you need to get all 4 wheels off the ground. Go up with one side, place jack stands and then up with the other, place jack stands.......simple.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2012, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 12 2012, 09:32 PM) *

I use them all the time ...
confused24.gif

If you lower you car you will be happy to have them, given that most jacks won't slip under the car on the side rails when the car is slammed.

tbox56
I removed mine, and I am glad i did. Found some rust bunnies in there, and it does give a nice clean look, especially when you replace the rocker panels at the same time. I chose some nice fiberglass ones, and will be painting them body color.
Mike Bellis
If you remove them, it may affect resale value. Most 914 buyers will think it's due to hacker body repair and hiding a rust issue. I suggest leaving it factory correct and live with it.
Cairo94507
I have to agree with Mike. If I saw a car without the jacks posts I would be suspicious of damage. Personally, with the rocker caps on you don't really notice the posts at all.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 17 2012, 08:22 AM) *

If you remove them, it may affect resale value. Most 914 buyers will think it's due to hacker body repair and hiding a rust issue. I suggest leaving it factory correct and live with it.

That's a good point, however, I have never bought a used car (especially an old Porsche) with resale value in mind. Removing jack points lowers resale value about as much as installing a V8. happy11.gif
Black914_4
Resale value is something I must concider. I think it would look better without them. I don't have a good track record on keeping vehicles very long though. Ussually a couple years and I'm ready for something new.
Robert21
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 18 2012, 11:10 AM) *

Resale value is something I must concider. I think it would look better without them. I don't have a good track record on keeping vehicles very long though. Ussually a couple years and I'm ready for something new.

If your looking for resale value , you got the wrong car , I will never get the money i put in the car , but i,am having alot of fun with it the last 8 years.
Black914_4
QUOTE(Robert21 @ Mar 18 2012, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 18 2012, 11:10 AM) *

If your looking for resale value , you got the wrong car , I will never get the money i put in the car , but i,am having alot of fun with it the last 8 years.

I am only going to have $5k-$6k in the car by the time I get done in a couple months. I plan on enjoying it and driving it for quite a while. But I want to still be able to get my money back out of it when I decide to swap for something different.

SirAndy
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 18 2012, 04:37 PM) *

I am only going to have $5k-$6k in the car by the time I get done in a couple months. I plan on enjoying it and driving it for quite a while. But I want to still be able to get my money back out of it when I decide to swap for something different.

Get the plastic covers for the posts and paint them body or rocker color ...

Good luck with "get my money back" ...
biggrin.gif
Black914_4
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2012, 09:01 PM) *

Get the plastic covers for the posts and paint them body or rocker color ...

Good luck with "get my money back" ...
biggrin.gif

Don't tell me that! lol
I thought I was doing good. She'll have new paint, New rubber from Mikey, New seats, and carpet, new other odds and ends. All for just over $5k including purchase price I paid for her. Labor was free (mine of coarse, lol)
A good shiny, drivable teener should be worth $5-$6, or more. Just turn the key and go...
Rand
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 17 2012, 08:22 AM) *

If you remove them, it may affect resale value. Most 914 buyers will think it's due to hacker body repair and hiding a rust issue.

Depends on the knowledge level of the buyer.
Some will have no clue.
Those who notice should be smart enough to investigate.
If they aren't CWs and care to explore, they will see what is under there.
If they pass over a car because they noticed no plugs and assumed it was hacked, and chose to not investigate any deeper, then they are idiots. I suppose those types are out there.

But raises a good point. If you are interested in a car that has the rockers shaved... Caveat Emptor!!!!
bigkensteele
If you are only in it for a couple of years, and resale value is important to you, I would say keep them. When everything is black, they really aren't that noticeable. If you are keeping the car even 75% original, I say keep them.

If I was 100% sure that mine were solid, I would use them all the time when lifting the car, but I had one fail on my first 914, so I am gun-shy. I plan on repairing them if need be on my current, "forever" car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.