Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Trying to pull the flywheel and noticed that the bolts seemed to have been ground down. Would someone do this so the flywheel could be surfaced beyond minimum specs. and the clutch would still clear. Also, what are the bolts made of? Looks like brass.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 20 2004, 01:03 PM)
Would someone do this so the flywheel could be surfaced beyond minimum specs. and the clutch would still clear.

ayup, that's exactly what it is ...

cool.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
The 4 spring discs hit the bolt heads after machining the flywheel down to a certain point. This is one of the reasons why we dont sell 4 spring discs anymore.

B
Allan
Great. Now the problem is getting them out. There is only about 1/4 inch to grab on to. Probably end up grinding them off. headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm betting you will end up replacing that flywheel/disc/pp.

B
SLITS
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 20 2004, 01:32 PM)
Great. Now the problem is getting them out. There is only about 1/4 inch to grab on to. Probably end up grinding them off. headbang.gif

Cold steel chisel and BFH to get them turning.
Allan
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 20 2004, 12:42 PM)
Cold steel chisel and BFH to get them turning.

I'm gonna try that first and see what happens. And I will be replacing everything.
Allan
I was looking at Pelican for replacement flywheel bolts and the picture shows them as round hex bolts. Mine are regular bolts. Is it a bad pic. or a replacement?
Allan
HOOORAY!! Got the bolts out and flywhell off. Problem is now that I think I have too much play in the crank. Can anyone tell me how much you should be able to slide the crank in and out. It looks to be moving about 1/8th of an inch. Too much?
SLITS
End play is what you are asking about - 0.003 - 0.005" (0.07 - 0.13 mm) according to Tom Wison's Book.
Cap'n Krusty
Gotta torque the flywheel back on , WITH the shims, in order to check the end play. The Cap'n
Allan
Is end play adjusted with flywheel shims alone or are there internal adjustments (bearings, etc.)?
Cap'n Krusty
Just the shims. Of course, if the bearing is moving in the case, it's a whole different thing. Pretty uncommon in T4 motors, though ............. The Cap'n
Allan
I really appreciate the info. on this stuff. Being my first time at this I get nervous when delving into unfamiliar territory. You guys are great.
SLITS
Cap'n - don't you torque the flywheel without shims and measure endplay with a dial indicator to determine the thickness of shims to add?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.