Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent windshield wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Anyone figure out a slick way to implement intermittent wipers?
Bleyseng
On 74 and later you could get "Flickwipe" or intermittent wipers. On a 73 you'll have to upgrade to a later style wiper switch with the right extra contacts.
Do a search as there is a great thread all about howtodoit......
Tom_T
Contact Jeff Bowlsby for an intermittent relay (his repro of the OEM one) or try to find a used or NOS factory one - install, then use needle nose pliers to remove the 3rd indent stopper at the top position of the column wiper switch (a perforated plastic cover).

Voila! Intermittent Wipers the same way that the factory & dealers did it!

EDIT per Geoff's post - AFAIK all column switches except the 914-6 with electric pump window washers have the contacts just past the "normal" 2nd & were accessed by popping out the 3rd indent blocking piece. Check with Bolwsby - he'll know for sure!
SirAndy
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 14 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Is using the factory harness and relay not slick enough?
confused24.gif
steuspeed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2012, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 14 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Is using the factory harness and relay not slick enough?
confused24.gif

I didn't know the 74 and up had intermittent option. Yeah, that is slick! Wish I asked about this last fall.
orange914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 14 2012, 02:55 PM) *

Contact Jeff Bowlsby for an intermittent relay (his repro of the OEM one) or try to find a used or NOS factory one - install, then use needle nose pliers to remove the 3rd indent stopper at the top position of the column wiper switch (a perforated plastic cover).

Voila! Intermittent Wipers the same way that the factory & dealers did it!

EDIT per Geoff's post - AFAIK all column switches except the 914-6 with electric pump window washers have the contacts just past the "normal" 2nd & were accessed by popping out the 3rd indent blocking piece. Check with Bolwsby - he'll know for sure!

Seems to be a VW thing. I just got done upgrading my 83 rabbit pickup to "factoty" intermittant by pulling a blocking stop in the swich & changing to the right relay. Similiar to 914??? Maybe this will help

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RickS
Same deal for a 71? the question is where the relay goes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 14 2012, 06:08 PM) *

No. Early cars don't have the wiring in the column for it.

The relay goes into the socket that is part of the (optional) harness.
idea.gif
Valy
Here is what I have, using a programmable relay that allows variable delay without additional switches.
It works with any switch that has 5 contacts (pre 1974, early 924 or super beetle)
Washer pump is optional but very nice to have.
Click to view attachment
RickS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2012, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 14 2012, 06:08 PM) *

No. Early cars don't have the wiring in the column for it.

The relay goes into the socket that is part of the (optional) harness.
idea.gif

Curses! Foiled again!! (except with option harness and newer column - which ain't happening).
Eric_Shea
The relay mounts on the cowl post on the drivers side.

IPB Image

Thanks to Valy's help and Jeff's harness, mine is up and running with an electric pump. Very happy with the install.

IPB Image
swood
I still need to figure out how to do that...i have the pump, relay and the replacement column switch. :/
Drums66
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 14 2012, 09:43 PM) *

The relay mounts on the cowl post on the drivers side.

IPB Image

Thanks to Valy's help and Jeff's harness, mine is up and running with an electric pump. Very happy with the install.

IPB Image

......Exactly Bro!!....I have a nos 1 for sale?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.