Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Julian
Guys,

Anyone safety wiring their CV bolts? People keep saying tighten your CV bolts. I can only imagine what happens when a half-shaft gets away. So where do I go to find drilled CV bolts for a 930 CV?

Chris Julian
Mueller
it's a DIY project....you can grind a flat on the head to help or use a fixture with a hardened drill guide bushing to help prevent the drill from wandering around....is the car still in fremont?? I drove around in that business park a few weeks ago, but I couldn't remember what company your car is stored at wacko.gif
machina
You can get a drill jig like this from any race shop. Buy a few drill bits because you'll break at least 2 or 3 doing one set of 8 bolts, I did. I also kept the work area oiled which seemed to help.

dr
TheCabinetmaker
Synth, nice to see someone who knows how to safety wire! biggrin.gif I've seen a lot of then done backwards.
machina
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 20 2004, 09:50 PM)
nice to see someone who knows how to safety wire I've seen a lot of then done backwards.

You mean like this?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...16752&hl=safety

Got it wrong the first few tries. wacko.gif

dr
neo914-6
Chris,
I keep planning to visit you but get tied up around the house. How's progress?
is the car still in fremont??
confused24.gif Is Mike confusing your car with Scott Banks ex-Turbo V8 or have you moved your car?
Felix
Chris Julian
Hi Felix,

Progress is good. THe motor is running now with little cooling issues so far. I have the car in the air and am installing all the brake lines, clutch lines, ect... Come on by anytime. I am home this weekend as well as the next two or three.

Chris
Mueller

is the car still in fremont??

Is Mike confusing your car with Scott Banks ex-Turbo V8 or have you moved your car?

Chris "corrected" me smile.gif

I guess I've been staring at my monitor too long wacko.gif

What thru me off was the V8, the white paint work and the huge flares on both cars......
double-a
ah, should i be concerned about this? as a (relatively) new 914 owner, i've seen this topic mentioned more than once.

so before my wife left for work today in the 914, i peeked under the car and noticed the cv joints that meet the tranny are missing a few bolts on each side. did these work themselves out and disappear on me? needless to say, she took the truck instead, cause i'm kinda freaked out now. how often should i check this, if they aren't safety wired like some others have done? and what about the joints where they meet the wheels, is that a danger as well? sorry for the incredibly technical lingo wink.gif

~a
machina
QUOTE(double-a @ Sep 24 2004, 10:41 AM)
ah, should i be concerned about this?

There are only 4 bolts per CV so yes, don't run her until you get the proper hardware. There are also 2 pins that locate the CV on the flange, make sure both are in there.

I would get all new bolts, washers, etc and install with proper torque. (forgot spec) Safety wire is probably not needed for most cars if everything is installed correctly.

If that CV does come loose at speed, it can do major damage to the tranny, body, etc. as it flails around, so get it fixed pronto.
double-a
ah, so only four bolts per side? seems weird to me, to have only four. looks like they're all connected, but it doesn't look tight to me.

the pins, what do they look like exactly? i wouldn't know if they were missing i guess.

~a
brant
this is just my $.02, and no I won't be held responsible if my advice fails ya....

but I've always felt that the real key item to CV bolts was to replace the lock washer with the correct factory ones.

I've run safety wired and non safetey wired on a race car for years....

If you put the correct wavy factory lock washers on there new, and then torque them they do not come loose or cause problems.. (at least not for me)

I would love to hear from all of you that have had failures (real life experience)... am I wrong?

brant
machina
QUOTE(double-a @ Sep 24 2004, 11:13 AM)
the pins, what do they look like exactly? i wouldn't know if they were missing i guess.

These are the pins, you have to separate the CV from the flange to see them. Also, don't forget new gaskets or you'll spray grease all over the place.
double-a
ah, now i see. it's a pin that bridges the gap there. so my final question: where to get new gaskets, bolts and factory lock washers?

~a
Cap'n Krusty
"Wavy" washers? Not on any 914 I've seen. They're serrated washers, and are used on all VW and Porsche CV bolts. 914 CV bolts, which you "should" replace every time, are torqued to 31 ft/lbs (I use 35), and you always replace the washers. make sure the plates aren't scored, something that will lead to the bolts removing themselves. Safety wire is nice, but it's a PITA compared to doing it right in the first place. The Cap'n
brant
Capt.,

I stand corrected.
you are of course correct
I can only blame the lack of morning coffee.

brant
gopack
I ordered "bellville" washers from McMaster Carr are these the right ones? kind of cupped, and serrated on both flats?
like this part number ( tried to link the page, but they dont let yo uon MC master site).
also what thickness wire do you use?
machina
washers...
gopack
OK, I thought so!
Those are what I ordered. Since the washers came in a pack of 100, and the allen head cap screws came in a pack of 25, I ordered enough to do all the inners and outers for 6 cars. If any one wants details let me know... I will be posting on the clasifieds after I get home from a buisness trip, but I thought would mention it here since the tread was so conveinient.

Again I'll ask, does any one know which thickness of saftey wire is needed/correct/propper? I have NO FEAKING idea! headbang.gif

MARK
machina
QUOTE(gopack @ Sep 25 2004, 10:05 AM)
Again I'll ask, does any one know which thickness of saftey wire is needed/correct/propper? I have NO FEAKING idea!

.032" for most applications, .020 for smaller bolts or screws. (per carroll smith)

So far I have only used the .032, pretty strong stuff.
neo914-6
Chris,

If you order some lock washers, get extra. I can use some...

Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.