Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center or 3rd seat belt.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
I will be looking to add a center seat belt to my 73 that is on it's way. I've looked at the online pics or the oe unit ect.

I assume you use the same mounting points/bolt as the two receptacle's already in place.

Anybody do this with a aftermarket or rear 911 or 944 lap belt? I have access to both.

It does appear that the center receptacle may have a curved mounting tap to I assume clear the other receptacle it will share the bolt with...?

Don't have the car yet to "lay" it out in person, just thinking ahead of what's involved...

Ferg.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2012, 10:12 AM) *

I will be looking to add a center seat belt to my 73 that is on it's way. I've looked at the online pics or the oe unit ect.

I assume you use the same mounting points/bolt as the two receptacle's already in place.

It does appear that the center receptacle may have a curved mounting tap to I assume clear the other receptacle it will share the bolt with...?

Well, you should have done your homework beforehand ... rolleyes.gif

The center seat belts mount to a set of special threaded holes on the floorpan.
Those mounting holes only exists on *early* cars!

If what you ordered is a original center belt, it probably won't fit the same mounting point as the normal seatbelts.

This is for early models only.
popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 16 2012, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Well, you should have done your homework beforehand ... rolleyes.gif

The center seat belts mount to a set of special threaded holes on the floorpan.
Those mounting holes only exists on *early* cars!

If what you ordered is a original center belt, it probably won't fit the same mounting point as the normal seatbelts.

This is for early models only.
popcorn[1].gif

Gotcha, my assumption was wrong... no biggie. I did not order anything yet.

Tom_T
Ferg,

What we did in our 88 Westy which has the narrower rear seat than the standard Vanagon, was to add an extra belt for the middle using the same mount points with a bit longer bolt to accommodate 2 seatbelt end plats' thickness. The same should work on a 914.

So unless you're trying to stay all original, I'd suggest you get a lap belt that will fit & with the angled plate or bend one to match, or use flat if not an issue. IIRC the 2+1 seating option wasn't offered after 72 MY, & only outside of the US; or it may have only been 70-71 MYs with the fixed pass. seat - I'm not sure.

However, the center position seating is really tough with a center console, which is why my PO/OO had removed the Center Console before I bought my early 73 2L in 12/75, in order to seat their 2 kids for ferrying around in the 914 (3rd kid on the way was why they sold).

BTW - some of the early 73 MY production bodies from Aug. or so 72 still had the extra mount point in the floor. Yours may since IIRC it's an early VIN. So I agree with Andy to wait, then see what you have & go from there.

IIRC, that early 914 optional center belt was like the non-retracting rear seatbelts used in 1960's & early 70's Bugs, Ghias, Buses, 411s/412s, etc., so that may be an alternative source for used, NOS, new repro &/or reconditioned ones that would be close to or same as OE.

Maybe post some pix on here as a guide to how you do it, if you do, for others to see if they want to tackle it.

I may even do it if I have the extra mounts in my 8/72 built 73 2L! idea.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Ferg
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 16 2012, 11:36 AM) *

Ferg,

What we did in our 88 Westy which has the narrower rear seat than the standard Vanagon, was to add an extra belt for the middle using the same mount points with a bit longer bolt to accommodate 2 seatbelt end plats' thickness. The same should work on a 914.

So unless you're trying to stay all original, I'd suggest you get a lap belt that will fit & with the angled plate or bend one to match, or use flat if not an issue. IIRC the 2+1 seating option wasn't offered after 72 MY, & only outside of the US; or it may have only been 70-71 MYs with the fixed pass. seat - I'm not sure.

However, the center position seating is really tough with a center console, which is why my PO/OO had removed the Center Console before I bought my early 73 2L in 12/75, in order to seat their 2 kids for ferrying around in the 914 (3rd kid on the way was why they sold).

BTW - some of the early 73 MY production bodies from Aug. or so 72 still had the extra mount point in the floor. Yours may since IIRC it's an early VIN. So I agree with Andy to wait, then see what you have & go from there.

IIRC, that early 914 optional center belt was like the non-retracting rear seatbelts used in 1960's & early 70's Bugs, Ghias, Buses, 411s/412s, etc., so that may be an alternative source for used, NOS, new repro &/or reconditioned ones that would be close to or same as OE.

Maybe post some pix on here as a guide to how you do it, if you do, for others to see if they want to tackle it.

I may even do it if I have the extra mounts in my 8/72 built 73 2L! idea.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yup, when I get the car I'll look into doing just that. No center console in this car... Just want it for driving the little one's to the corner ice cream/coffee shop, like 2nd gear residential speeds.
JeffBowlsby
I had a center aftermarket belt in my '74's awhile back. No angled plate that I remember, they just shared the same bolts as the center female receivers. Easy bolt in...and the kids love it.
Ferg
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 16 2012, 12:08 PM) *

I had a center aftermarket belt in my '74's awhile back. No angled plate that I remember, they just shared the same bolts as the center female receivers. Easy bolt in...and the kids love it.

smilie_pokal.gif That's what I wanted to hear smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2012, 12:55 PM) *

Yup, when I get the car I'll look into doing just that. No center console in this car... Just want it for driving the little one's to the corner ice cream/coffee shop, like 2nd gear residential speeds.

The occasional "extra kid or adult" locally was what we used it for in the Westy, as it's far too tight for any distance.

Kids are grown now, but I'm thinking like you for future grandkids for a short spin in my 914 - after the resto is done of course! Since I'm putting a console back into mine, they'll have to swing their legs over to the passenger side though! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Ferg - try this one or look around their website:
http://www.peparts.com/Detail.bok?no=109

They're part of GoWesty in Los Osos, CA, which could be a stop off on your way to or from WCR in Monterey - if you did the PCH 1 thing up/down the cost from Morro Bay to Monterey!
rick 918-S
When my kids were small I hauled four kids to the lake by crossing over the center kid and locking the seat belt from the driver side in the passanger side then crossing the passanger side over to the driver side. So the kid in the middle is double belted. wacko.gif Worked for me.
Ferg
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 16 2012, 12:27 PM) *

When my kids were small I hauled four kids to the lake by crossing over the center kid and locking the seat belt from the driver side in the passanger side then crossing the passanger side over to the driver side. So the kid in the middle is double belted. wacko.gif Worked for me.

aktion035.gif I rode around in the back of a pickup with topper on a air mattress in the winter with a mini propane heater to keep warm. That was to go ice fishing drummond Island smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2012, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 16 2012, 12:27 PM) *

aktion035.gif I rode around in the back of a pickup with topper on a air mattress in the winter with a mini propane heater to keep warm. That was to go ice fishing drummond Island smile.gif

My friends own a spot on that island. Check my thread. The red ones are like crack. For a pic of the third seatbelt mount location. Mark
MBowman325
This is a timely thread as I was looking around at options for the third seat. I hadn't though far enough to use the exiting female anchors. I would bet that the extra 20 - 30 pounds (per side) would be minimal as far as safety concerns go in an accident.

Much longer and he'd be too big to fit. smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Mar 19 2012, 10:53 AM) *

This is a timely thread as I was looking around at options for the third seat. I hadn't though far enough to use the exiting female anchors. I would bet that the extra 20 - 30 pounds (per side) would be minimal as far as safety concerns go in an accident.

Much longer and he'd be too big to fit. smile.gif

idea.gif

.... hmmmm....back in my single days in my 914, I really didn't use female anchors on my middle seat when we sat 3 ...errr 4 abreast! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

... So being a gentleman, I just always held the middle one in with my hand! happy11.gif

... and it sure beat going ice fishin' Ferg! poke.gif laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.