Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: identical cylinder heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Was I right? Sent from a friend via email. Car in question is a 73 2.0 w/ factory FI.

-Steve

Question:
> So pick your brain time. Putting 914 back together and I can’t figure out which cylinder head belongs on which side, or if it matters. One has the number 1 on it and the other has a 2 on it. The 2 cylinder head has an extra threaded hole between the spark plugs, but that’s about the only difference I can see. Do you remember?

My answer:
>> Hmmm, that's a tough one. The casting is the same (i.e. same part #) so either will work on either side, but there probably is a right answer to this. I guessing the extra threaded hole is probably there for the CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature) sensor. And, if I remember correctly from about EIGHT years ago (!), I think the CHT sensor is on the passenger side of the car when installed. But, honestly, that's a guess and I'd probably check with someone before you bolt everything up. Or just try, and if all the wires reach you did it right, if not, just take it all apart again. smile.gif
Demick
Yes, that is right. The threaded hole is for the head temp sensor and goes on the passenger side (#3 and #4 side).

Demick
Allan
Kinda off topic but what about cylinders. Do they have some feature to tell what cylinder they are for?
DNHunt
One of the head studs is offset. 1 and 4 can swap and 2 and 3 can swap.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.