Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Cable Release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2
Engman
This mounts the release below the E-brake handle. Everything you will need is included. A cover for the release in the trunk is also provided. Please see http://engmanparts.com for details
Engman
A look at the mechanism.
aylanco
Dumb question that may have already been answered: Will this work if your trunk is locked?? unsure.gif
Engman
This is really for the rear reflector that so many of us have added. It can be used with the stock trunk pushbutton lock - but the lock will not function. In other words if you lock the rear trunk it will still open by pushing the button inward, with this cable release installed. I have done this.

M
MattR
Does this mean you can shave the rear trunk button (and still open the trunk)?
dlo914
similar question about the shaved trunk button, ive taken out the button and filled up that center portion between the rear lights with that red transparent panel that displays Porsche, so the question is will i be able to open the trunk front within the cabin?
Engman
similar question about the shaved trunk button, ive taken out the button and filled up that center portion between the rear lights with that red transparent panel that displays Porsche, so the question is will i be able to open the trunk front within the cabin?

Yes - this is what this was designed to do. There used to be an electric solenoid kit that was made to do this. I have two of these and have not been able to make them work 100% of the time - usually wind up having to depress the trunk and hit the solenoid button many times to get this to work. I have tried using a relay with direct connection to the battery with 10G wire to no avail. Finally, I decided to develop a reliable option. All new mounting brackets and a cover to make sure that the actuator cannot be jammed from inside the rear trunk.

M
Carlitos Way
Any pictures of this installed?
Engman
Here are pics of it in my 73.

Trunk

M
Engman
Pull handle for the release - located under the E-brake

M
mk114
I know this is off the subject But I am a long time admirer of the 914 (15 +years) but only been a owner about 1 yr I have this cream puff of a body but some one drilled holled for this reflector I was wonder where do I get one (heard 911) but if this is right what year. How do I install it . Does it require electrical? Where can I get one of those trunk releases also?
jim_hoyland
Looking at your trunk picture: Is the cable entering the trunk directly beneath the mechanism ?

How is the cable fed to the cabin mount ?

I like your set up !
Engman
Looking at your trunk picture: Is the cable entering the trunk directly beneath the mechanism ?

How is the cable fed to the cabin mount ?

The cable follows the witing harness for the tailights thru the engine compartment, exits thru a hole below the engine lid release, and come out under the e-brake handle. You do have to drill some holes for the cable and cable mount pull. This is all in the instructions with a template for drilling the release pull mount.

Mark
jim_hoyland
I like the set up; does the installation require the engine be removed ?
Engman
I like the set up; does the installation require the engine be removed ?

Nope - pretty simple to install - about 45 mins or so.

I have like 10 of these left from the last run. When they are gone - they will be gone.

M
Kevin Phillips
I bought this and it went in in about 25 minutes. Very slick!!
smilie_pokal.gif
This guy, Sorry I can't remember your name, ROCKS!!!!
kp
mpjedi23
Anyone have an extra porsche reflecter they willl part with drooley.gif
41ghost
i would like to get a couple of these you can email me at Dreamzwvr@aol.com or call 1-317-431-3621 ask for Drew thanks
Engman
Just a few left..... Don't say I did'nt warn ya....

M
Engman
2 remaining....

M
Kevin Phillips
Hi,
I put in your kit but I think I have the latch lined up funny. It
sticks a bit and unless my kids or wife assist with the lid it can't lift.
Any ideas on how to adjust the two latch parts.
I remember you are an engineer and have a way with things mechanical.
I, on the other hand, am just a musician.
Thanks for any advice.

kp
Engman
I put in your kit but I think I have the latch lined up funny. It
sticks a bit and unless my kids or wife assist with the lid it can't lift.
Any ideas on how to adjust the two latch parts.
I remember you are an engineer and have a way with things mechanical.
I, on the other hand, am just a musician.
Thanks for any advice.

Take the release portion off of the cable and check to see that the lever moves freely between the two halves. Lossen the bolt if necessary and or pry the two halves apart some if needed. The lever was checked here for this, but perhaps it needs some minor adjustment.

The oyther possibility is your spring on the latch located on the trunk lid latch. This may be too tight. It is adjustable.

Let me know what you find.

M
montoya 73 2.0
i have the same exact problem, but i have a question. does the trunk need to release (pop-up) a little to allow the catch to clear? my trunk doesn't do that so when i pull the release and then let it go, it re-catches. not to mention it looks like someone put some weld on the catch to build it up. should i file it down?
Engman
Check a couple of things...

1. Rear hood pin alignment - this is adjustable.

2. The 'catch' located in the rear trunk lid is adjustable also up and down - it is screwed in and there is a nut on the back. You may have it either too loose or too tight.

It really sounds like the problem is in this area.

M
montoya 73 2.0
your kit was installed in about 20 minutes. it's great, i love it! i recommend it highly. i agree on the problem being in that area. so is the trunk supposed to pop-up a little to allow the pin to clear? i always had to push the button and lift at the same time to open the trunk.
Engman
Yep it will pop up - but only a little - just enough for the latch to clear the catch.

Still have 2.

M
montoya 73 2.0
i guess my springs are sprung? my trunk doesn't do that. will have to replace. thanks again! your kit went in with no problems! my car has the problem!
Kevin Phillips
M[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Take the release portion off of the cable and check to see that the lever moves freely between the two halves. Lossen the bolt if necessary and or pry the two halves apart some if needed. The lever was checked here for this, but perhaps it needs some minor adjustment.

The oyther possibility is your spring on the latch located on the trunk lid latch. This may be too tight. It is adjustable.

The mechanism works great. It is binding up because the top is not lined up. If I take it off the lidd and press it in it will fly when I pull the magic nob. I have something out of line.
kp
Engman
I have been able to purchase some of the componets in smaller lot sizes, sooooo these will be back in 4-6 weeks.

I do have 1 left currently.

M
WRX914
I have bought two items from Mark, the trunk cable release, and the third stop light. Both items are what the doctor ordered! Mark is a honest man, he delivers exactly what he advertises... Great products Mark!

You da Man!

Keith

clap.gif pray.gif aktion035.gif
Engman
Cables arrived!

Back in production!

M
914LUST
QUOTE(Engman @ Nov 28 2005, 02:23 PM) *

Cables arrived!

Back in production!

M

Hi -

Do you have any stock? My solenoid just died and untimely death... if yes, how much and lead time?

Thanks,

Rich smile.gif
Engman
PM sent

I have these in stock. As well as all of my other stuff as well.

M
zeetas
Hi,
Do you have any of these left I am interested in buying one.

Thanks driving-girl.gif
Engman
Yes - PM or email me.

Thanks

Mark
iamchappy
One please, PM'ed

Chap
FB914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 9 2006, 07:35 PM) *

One please, PM'ed

Chap

If you still have one left, I'd like to buy it. Thanks

Frank B
Engman
PM's sent.

I have several of these currently in stock.

stepuptotheMike
Are these still available?

Mike
my928s4
Finally got around to needing this and now I cannot see it on the Engman website.

biosurfer1
I'd be very interested if you had another run also...just got a reflector in great condition ready to go in!
eric914
Add me to the "are these still available" list.
tat2dphreak
I installed one of these not long ago that had been sitting on the shelf... great stuff!

only thing I'd say was incorrect with the instructions were the drill sizes were too small to feed the cable through, I had to stepp up 1-2 sizes. but that might have been a slightly different cable... once installed it worked great though...
mharmon
I'd take one of these as well.
Nürburg Nomad
I would also like to buy one, ASAP! biggrin.gif Let us know if it's possible to manufacture another batch with a certain # of committed buyers???
dem
I'd be interested too, if we need to make a waiting list. smile.gif
Engman
Sorry for the delay - been out of touch - lost a good friend this last week - probably the best machinist I have known - sudden heart attack - and he was healthy too, kinda hit me hard.

As to the cable release - I am looking for a replacement cable comparable in quality to what I had. So far I have bought 3 differnt ones only to find the wire without enough pull, solid wire and of course the wrong cable ends. I am continuing to look. Should I find one I will post it on the board. My goal was always to supply well built and long lasting componets, and the cables thus far have not met my standards.

Thanks

Mark

Nürburg Nomad
Hey Mark,

Thanks for getting back to us and sorry to hear about your loss, I know it's never easy when friends pass away unexpectedly; hopefully his machine work will live on in all the vintage cars his parts are no doubt a part of...

I know you'll keep us updated so whenever you get around to it is fine, just FYI I'll probably buy a front trunk air block off kit at the same time as well, but I'm sure you keep those in stock.
914LUST

Mark,

I hope you find a viable cable soon - my solenoid failed and I really want to replace with a manual solution.

Richard
Harpo
Please add me to the waiting list once you find adequate components.

Thanks

David

QUOTE(dem @ May 31 2010, 02:40 PM) *

I'd be interested too, if we need to make a waiting list. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.