Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy facet pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but you guys were reading my mind. smile.gif My facet pump is driving me crazy with noise wacko.gif . It is mounted on the firewall.

What solution is there for this issue? Replace with a new one? If so, which?

I have also been considering fabricating some kind of thick rubber mount to help dampen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Btw: 914-4 1.7L
MattR
The rotary pump from CB Performance is supposed to be quiet and should be a direct install for carb applications. I think its ~$55 from CB.
theol00
try rubber mounts - they helped to quite mine down
lapuwali
Rubber mounts help a great deal. If it's solid mounted, the entire panel it's attached to is turned into a big speaker. Personally, I like some noise from the pump, so I know it's running.
Cap'n Krusty
I have a Pierberg ratary pump on my 911 and it has been sufficient for the webers, quiet, and relaible. I sell a lot of them here at the shop. I don't like Facet electronic "pulse" pumps because of the noise, the inadequate flow, and the need for a regulator. The Cap'n
DonTraver
The rotary pump sounds interesting, do you have specs, psi, gallons per hour, cost? I might be interested. Thanks
J P Stein
Damn.......here I thought I was OK after running the Facet for
track days & God knows what else....without a pressure reg. too....for all this time.

Now I come to find out it ain't worth spit....besides being noisy.
I feel so....inadequate sad.gif
MattR
CB offers a rotary pump that delivers 3.5 psi and 5.5 psi. Both deliver 30 gph and are priced at 53 dollars and come with a fuel filter. I have one sitting in a box. Its going in my 914 as soon as the engine is finished up.
rhodyguy
shhh, i can't hear the cb while you're typing. night and day as compared to the facet. the way i understand it though, is the rotary should be mounted low and as close to the engine as possible. i mounted mine on the lower fire wall at about the same height as the stock unit.

kevin
DonTraver
The rubber mounts that the fuel pump is mounted on are part #
901-501-864-00. These are all very generic rubber mounts, I've seen them used to isolate vibration for all kinds of equipment. I know Caterpillar uses a lot of them on their G3600 engine series, most of the engine sensors were mounted on them. I like big iron, 3600's weight anywhere from 20 to 60 tons, depends how many cyclinders you want, 6 to 18, think they may be making a 20 cyclinder now.

OK back OT, the rubber mounts are round approx 1 inch dia, 3/4 to 1 inch deep, with non connected studs extending from each side, most common stud size is 1/4-20 about 3/ 4 inch long.

Hope this helps, I'm gonna run the Facet pump for awhile, see if I like it, may convert to the rotary pump. How ever ytou look at it, it's still cheaper that the $370 I was quoted for a stock pump.

Later
jr91472
Thanks everybody. Sounds like rotory wins. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.