Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Wrinkle on Shifting Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
The first 3 or 4 shifts into first in my neighborhood, before getting on the back roads are smooth as butter. When the car gets warm, I can't get into first without grinding. The rest of the gears are fine, for a while. After driving for 35 mins, the rest start getting more difficult. This has to be heat related, but what is going on?

Would a 3 liter be any factor in this since there wa never an issue when it was mated to a 2 liter 4?
TravisNeff
I would think that your trans would run a lot hotter with all that power behind it. Have you checked the fluid level, and are you running a straight weight or multi weight gear oil?
Richard Casto
Running late for work. So this is a quick reply with ideas...

1. cold trans oil is covering up issues with 1st gear synchro system (ring, hub, slider). As oil warms up, you are getting clash (grinding) between the dog teeth on hub and slider)

2. Clutch disengagement issue when warm?

I would vote for #1 and think #2 is a stretch. Gotta run to work. Will check back later to see if others have better ideas!

Richard
Prospectfarms
2. Clutch disengagement issue when warm?

I once had a similar problem: After reaching operating Temp., couldn't downshift into 1'st when rolling toward a stop. Tested clutch engagement position when cold and when hot. Adjusted clutch. No more problem.
underthetire
agree.gif
Check clutch cable.
Dr Evil
Check clutch cable. If it makes a grind going into reverse then your clutch is dragging.

NEVER down shift into first. The box is not designed for this and it is unnecessary. I have verified this with a few factory Porsche mechanics. 1st is to start, brakes are to stop with the assistance of 2nd which is low enough.

falconfp2001
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2012, 11:00 AM) *

Check clutch cable. If it makes a grind going into reverse then your clutch is dragging.

NEVER down shift into first. The box is not designed for this and it is unnecessary. I have verified this with a few factory Porsche mechanics. 1st is to start, brakes are to stop with the assistance of 2nd which is low enough.

Dr. Evil, Is down shifting into first really going to do damage to the trans? I got in the habit with my bug only if I know the light will change before I completely stop.
Dr Evil
It wears out the slider, band and teeth on 1st. So, current market value = $500 + $175 + $150 = $825 for new parts without labor wink.gif ( I of course fix this for much less)

The rest of the transmission will be fine smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.