Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Practices of Gas Tank restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Newb question av-943.gif

Whats the best practices of gas tank resto? Pulled the tank, and the bottom has plenty of rust, but not really flaking.

Ideas? You experiences?

Heard muriatic(Sp?) acid + a bit of water for a few days does wonders....
Elliot Cannon
I took mine to a radiator shop and had it "boiled out" (whatever that means). There are products that you can use to then seal the tank. Hey? I thought you knew all this $hit? confused24.gif Didn't you used to own one of these cars? av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 19 2012, 11:39 AM) *

I took mine to a radiator shop and had it "boiled out" (whatever that means). There are products that you can use to then seal the tank. Hey? I thought you knew all this $hit? confused24.gif Didn't you used to own one of these cars? av-943.gif

Yuuuup.... never had to mess with the tank last 'build'.

Idea's on cost elliot?
Bob L.
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 19 2012, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 19 2012, 11:39 AM) *

Yuuuup.... never had to mess with the tank last 'build'.

Idea's on cost elliot?

I brought mine to a local Rad. shop to be boiled out and coated on the inside.
All for $200. Seems like a good deal to me, after looking at the time and PITA it is to do yourself.
poorsche914
A radiator shop here in east TN quoted me $135 to clean and treat. So looks like there is quite a range as far as pricing.

driving.gif
TravisNeff
clean it out through electrolysis, there are a couple of threads on how to do it here. fill up your tank with water, add in about 1 cup of washing soda - take a battery charger, ground to the tank & insert some rebar in the filler hole (insulated from tank) and attach your hot lead to it. I did this on a 10 amp charge and it took me several days until it was all cleaned out.

get the caswell 2 part epoxy tank seal kit

I called a radiator shop and they said it would be around 200 for a cleanout and seal. the way I did it above was $63
rtalich
The kit from POR-15 does an amazing job!
porschefile2010
I agree with the POR 15. Very effective and easy to do provided you prep it all properly. If you don't set up right you can make a hell of a mess. Great result though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.