Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Porsche would you Choose?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
Which would you choose if the price were the same - say $25,000? Rust Free or taken care of, comparable 3.0s, comparable Interiors & Paint.

Not to pick on these cars, but used as a comparison

1. 914-6 Conversion Clone

Click to view attachment

2. 911 RS Clone

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I would have to go with the 911. My 1st Porsche was a 67 911S followed by a new 73 911T Targa.
MoveQik
911. No contest.
Tom_T
Both are clones - not "real" ones - so as long as the 914 suspension & stiffening were upgraded, the 914-6GT clone would be the better handler IMHO. driving.gif
jmill
I took the 914. Truth be told, I've only met a few 911 owners I didn't want to punch in the mouth shortly after meeting them.

911 owners that also had/have a 914 seem to like the car for what it is, not for who it makes them appear to be. I'm cool with the former and have no use for the latter.
billh1963
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 19 2012, 07:57 PM) *

I took the 914. Truth be told, I've only met a few 911 owners I didn't want to punch in the mouth shortly after meeting them.

Ouch!!!! biggrin.gif
Woody
I've driven every late model Porsche there is and most older ones. I'm over 911s. If I had my choice of any current car Porsche offers, it would be a mid engine Spyder or Cayman R. So in this case I would have to go with the 914-6 GT.
1970 Neun vierzehn
For me, it was an easy choice: the 914
mepstein
Honestly, I'm not much of a car guy. I like 914's but I'm not really "into" Porsche's. I think we tend to like what we were exposed to as a teenager and for me that was a 914. Weird huh?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 19 2012, 04:51 PM) *

Honestly, I'm not much of a car guy. I like 914's but I'm not really "into" Porsche's. I think we tend to like what we were exposed to as a teenager and for me that was a 914. Weird huh?

Boobs ? confused24.gif
bigkensteele
I voted for the 911, purely from the standpoint of financials. Long-hood 911s are starting to go for pretty serious coin, while I think that modified 914s are more stagnant. Which would I rather own and drive - the 914, hands down. I had a 911 for 3 years, which was long enough to get it out of my system for a while. I may own another one someday, but for now, I would rather sink what I can into my teener.
Woody
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 19 2012, 07:59 PM) *

Boobs ? confused24.gif

Boobies are mah favorite.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 19 2012, 08:59 PM) *

Boobs ? confused24.gif

Definitely!
carr914
Then why are we hanging out here instead of BoobieWorld.co?
Woody
Boobieworld????? w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

Tell me aboot this magical place.
Haudiosolutions
Voted 911. Already have a 914 but they are both sweet rides IMO.
MDG
I chose the 914-6 clone because it would be - and was - my first choice between the two. But now that I have one being assembled in my garage . . . I would absolutely love to have a '73 RS clone to go with it.

In fact when I do decide to get rid of my 997 that is exactly what I plan on replacing it with. The new ones just don't give the emotional response for me.

Oh - and boobs.
Woody
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 19 2012, 08:40 PM) *

I chose the 914-6 clone because it would be - and was - my first choice between the two. But now that I have one being assembled in my garage . . . I would absolutely love to have a '73 RS clone to go with it.

In fact when I do decide to get rid of my 997 that is exactly what I plan on replacing it with. The new ones just don't give the emotional response for me.

Oh - and boobs.

991s are worse.
gothspeed
my last porsche was a 993TT with GT2 turbos and over 500HP chipped ............ and guess what I am wasting my money on now .......... a 914 GT replica/clone ............ beerchug.gif

for this thread however ........ I would choose the 911RS only if it were a 1969-1973 model year (for the later wheel base) but they are both beautiful!!!

......... and boobs!!!! ............... ( . )( . ) ........... biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
I took the teener. Easy choice.
Woody
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 19 2012, 08:49 PM) *

my last porsche was a 993TT with GT2 turbos and over 500HP chipped ............ and guess what I am wasting my money on now .......... a 914 GT replica/clone ............ beerchug.gif

for this thread however ........ I would choose the 911RS only if it were a 1969-1973 model year (for the later wheel base) but they are both beautiful!!!

Fixed
1973-914-2L
I am going to have to take the third option that was left out .. I just got a 914 and have a 911its a n 80 SC ... i like to think I am one that likes it for what it is .. its not a garage queen and usually dirty, no chrome, handles like a dream in the twisties and does ax duty and never gets washed or wiped down as soon as it hits the driveway ..
I do most of my own wrenching and help out others when and if possible ..

Sorry I got side tracked but I would take the 25k and smartly place a few orders and get a few of the wish I had the money for that parts .. o and get the 914 a paint job ...

Steve newhere.gif
Rand
Here on 914world I predict the 914 wins. Ask the same on a 911 forum and get a different answer. smile.gif
Andyrew
911. The RS is just so cool...
Madswede
The only reason I went with the 911 RS clone is 'cos I'm already having Series9 build me a 914 RS better-than-clone! evilgrin.gif
VegasRacer
I made my choice 40 years ago when I could only dream. drooley.gif
Now . . . . first.gif Well, you know what I drive.
dlo914
I'll take a Beck 550 Spyder w/ a modern Subaru engine smile.gif
johannes
I would take a 356 ... Carrera clone ...

Cairo94507
I couldn't help voting for the 914-6 GT clone. They are just so much fun to drive.
Van914
I would take a Carrera GT. Just a larger 914
02loftsmoor
The 914-6 makes me Horny idea.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 19 2012, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 19 2012, 08:49 PM) *

Fixed

lol ............... thanks for the 'fix' ....... shades.gif
zymurgist
I'd take the 911 RS clone. Already most of the way there with mine anyway (performance wise), and I have never liked the 914 GT flares (prefer the narrow body look or a subtler, more rounded flare).
JmuRiz
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 20 2012, 03:57 AM) *

OK, I'll bite...would it need the 4-cam engine in it, or would a Polo 911/4 engine be good enough?
boogie_man
The reason I got a 914 to build is if I'm still standing when it's done. I will
build a RS clone next...I have a 82 SC but hope I don't get punched in the
mouth for admitting it....ALL PORSCHES ARE UNIQUE IN THIER OWN WAY I ALWAYS SAY........ chair.gif
jmill
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 21 2012, 03:48 PM) *

I have a 82 SC but hope I don't get punched in the
mouth for admitting it....ALL PORSCHES ARE UNIQUE IN THIER OWN WAY I ALWAYS SAY........ chair.gif

Your safe. You like 914s. biggrin.gif

I like the 911RS alot. Would even like to build an RS clone when the teener is done. I'll continue to hang out here if I do. I like this crowd. It's most likely my bad luck that every guy I ever met with an undeserved sense of self importance happened to own a 911.
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1983 911SC that is a RS light conversion. Custom front/rear bumpers with a ducktail, PMO carb's with SSI headers and sport muffler. I love the car. Also have a 1975 914GT clone with a 3.0 and Weber carb's and sport muffler. Love the car. They are two totally different animals but coexist just fine in the same garage. I am not a 911 snob I have owned a 944S also and loved that car to. Don't paint with a broad brush not all 911 owners are a-holes. biggrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 21 2012, 05:04 PM) *

not all 911 owners are a-holes. biggrin.gif

I am. I work hard at it.
Cracker
Neither. Now a 914/8 or 911/8 - hands down I'd take the 914! I've had early 911's and a stock 914/6 - utterly boring and won't ever do it again. Some people are easier to please... piratenanner.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Scott S
914-6 GT for sure. The RS clones are everywhere anymore since backdating cars has become so much easier.

Now, if it was a 911 ST clone, I would go tail dragger for sure.....
boogie_man
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 21 2012, 03:04 PM) *

I have a 1983 911SC that is a RS light conversion. Custom front/rear bumpers with a ducktail, PMO carb's with SSI headers and sport muffler. I love the car. Also have a 1975 914GT clone with a 3.0 and Weber carb's and sport muffler. Love the car. They are two totally different animals but coexist just fine in the same garage. I am not a 911 snob I have owned a 944S also and loved that car to. Don't paint with a broad brush not all 911 owners are a-holes. biggrin.gif

That's frikken awesome !!! Best of both worlds right there beerchug.gif

Don't suppose you have any pix of them in your stable do ya ???

My 82 SC is Zinc Silver as I have the L13M yellow for the teener and was
considering painting it Zinc to match them sitting "side by each" in my stable. smilie_pokal.gif
gothspeed
Call me crazy but I would love to do up an early 911RS clone using a 1969 912 with a monster type 4 motor and IDA TBs with EFI ........... welder.gif
SchwarzHorse
BWTM: In Clone vs. Clone vs. Clone, I'd pick this clone, an IROC - a '75 Carrera upgraded with an '86 Carrera's 3.2L and all the trimmin's & fixin's - a siren by the sea for sure ...ACHTUNG !
Reminds me of Moby and the Warhorse Gang
newhere.gif
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
914 /6

"It goes down smooth like a shot of gin..."
PeeGreen 914
It was a hard choice as they are both very nice. I went with the 914 as with a 3.0l and everything the 911 has it would be one of the faster cars out there.... and faster than the 911.

They are both clones so I had to stick with what I love. wub.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 20 2012, 04:57 AM) *

.....I 2nd that 1 flag.gif
bye1.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 21 2012, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 21 2012, 03:04 PM) *

That's frikken awesome !!! Best of both worlds right there beerchug.gif

Don't suppose you have any pix of them in your stable do ya ???

My 82 SC is Zinc Silver as I have the L13M yellow for the teener and was
considering painting it Zinc to match them sitting "side by each" in my stable. smilie_pokal.gif

I don't have any pics side by side but do have these.

carr914
I never clarified the Thread with a Picture of my RS

Click to view attachment
euro911
I like both, but voted for the 911.

They're two different animals. One's like a wife and the other is like a girl friend shades.gif

There's plenty of 914 guys that own 911s ... we're not all snobs and assholes.
sixnotfour
Try the same poll in a 911 forum.....Do what you want, not what everyone thinks you should do.

Or give me the 911 and buy another 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.