Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: start of a project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
awallis1
I have found an all original 1976 2 liter thats in pretty decent shape. its going to need some body work but nothing that too daunting. Im trying to think what the best method is here. I would like to keep it fairly original with some updates and functionality but i dont want to take away from potential collector value....thoughts ?
SLITS
If you keep it original you get a choked down version regardless. Exhaust on the '75 - '76 robs horsepower. Backdating to an earlier exhaust gives a little more spirit when digging in the spurs (especially if it's a 2.0L).

In CA, the '76 has minimal value due to smog laws ... if they change the law, then all the current rules are off. I don't know what the smog laws are in Okiehoma or any other state for that matter.

TheCabinetmaker
No smog shit in Okieland Ron (no smog either).

Awallis, welcome to the board. There are several members in OKC that will give another pair of eyes to put on this car. Especially if your not familiar with these cars.
awallis1
Yep ... No smog laws Here . Ill be working on the car with a gent who is pretty knowledgeable in the Porsche field I got pretty lucky with that. I plan on taking my time on it and doing it correctly. This will be my second car rebuild but first that will involve basic body work. I'm excited to learn. Any thoughts on the best welding method (or welder for that matter ) for attaching a replacement panel or jack point ?
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 20 2012, 05:13 AM) *

If you keep it original you get a choked down version regardless. Exhaust on the '75 - '76 robs horsepower. Backdating to an earlier exhaust gives a little more spirit when digging in the spurs (especially if it's a 2.0L).

In CA, the '76 has minimal value due to smog laws ... if they change the law, then all the current rules are off. I don't know what the smog laws are in Okiehoma or any other state for that matter.

agree.gif

Just don't do anything that you can't put back to original, & definitely SAVE all of your original parts when you backdate exhaust, etc.

Another option if your engine is still the original numbers matching one the it came from the factory with, would be to source another 2.0 motor to build a hot 2056 or 2270 etc. & "cold store" the original motor. If the motor has already been swapped & not original, then upbuilding it won't make much difference.

Call PCNA & order a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for it to confirm if it's the original motor, transaxle, factory options, etc. They'll ask you to take a pic of the GC engine number & email it to them to confirm it's a 2.0 for the COA (if they don't ask you, do it anyway to save a step in getting them to correct an erroneous COA.

Their COA may need corrections anyway - at their cost & free to you BTW, cuz they're notorious for misreading the older option codes on vintage Porsches! It took me 3 times for them to get it right!! dry.gif

Look up for your local OKC 914 folks on here, cuz they were trying to do informal get togethers alternating in OKC & Tulsey Town every month or so.

Y'all ... welcome.png
1973-914-2L
welcome.png newhere.gif also
abnrdo
welcome.png

Show us a photo of your 2.0!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.