Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikey914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Hey Mikey maybe you can make some of these;;;;; Fender Well liners.
pdlightning
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 20 2012, 11:58 AM) *

Hey Mikey maybe you can make some of these;;;;; Fender Well liners.

I think they are cool. Sure would cut down on noisy road debris being kicked up into the wheel wells!
gothspeed
I think they are a good idea as long as they do not get in the way of wheel/suspension travel smile.gif
jonferns
Was just looking at some old threads about these last week, interested for sure.
6freak
MORE INFO IS NEEDED smile.gif
StratPlayer
I have fender well liners on my 914. We tried a while back to have these made but were unsuccessful. Here's hoping we might be able to get these made, I could always make a template and send it to whoever could make these. They have tabs on each end of the liners that bolt to the car, no holes need to be drilled to install these, Here's the old thread on the liners. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=9492&st=20
Mikey914
Just need to know the material. It looks like they could be made pretty simply. I'd be up for doing these. I'm assuming plastic, any idea on thickness? ABS I'm thinking?
-Mark
1973-914-2L
Hey Mikey .. if you do make them could you see about leaving the outer edge long so that the Gt flare or beck bodied like me could mount the up to the inside and then trim the outer edge to the fender lip on the flare ??
jonferns
Maybe offer a stock fit set, and then a trim-to-fit set?
Mikey914
How about a stock set and a modification part that could be added?

jsayre914
im interested as always

rolleyes.gif
Mike Bellis
How about a longer part with the stock shape embossed into it. Easy owner cut with a utility knife. I mold, I part. smile.gif

I'm for a set of rears!
McMark
Doesn't the piece needs to be flexible? Maybe I'm confused as to where they go exactly... confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 21 2012, 04:38 PM) *

Doesn't the piece needs to be flexible? Maybe I'm confused as to where they go exactly... confused24.gif

In front of the wheels to keep road debris out of the jack post area.

How about a full surround to seal the wheel well. idea.gif
StratPlayer
The liners are flexible,,, its some kind of plastic. They conform to he well very good.
On each end is a L shaped tab, one end attaches to the car the other end is attached to the liner, very simple install.
Mikey914
From the research I've done, I'll need to make the clips for these too.

My thought about the standard and then the modified. The idea is to produce these as cost effectively as possible. So, if I made then to be trimed and pur in the extra tooling to emboss them, I could sell them for $85 each, or a make them standard and make the parts available to to cut to fit and bond to the standard piece, because there are many variations to the fenders as there are fiberglass and steel and if they are not mounted uniformly, it would never be right for everyone.
Making these standard I could make them at $75 per set and provide the additional material and bonding agent so they would be modified as required an exact fit to your car. less cost for everyone.

I'm looking at the rubber on the edge as an option.

After calling around to check on the original manufacturer, I found that the company is out of business and the owner diseased. These will not be available from that source again. I also called Brad to make sure he wasn't making these as I didn't want to step on him it that was the case. It's not.

Daiberl
I would be in for a set biggrin.gif
nathansnathan
I've been looking for these for awhile. They used to be sold from an ad in panorama and were made out of abs. I would be in for some for sure.
cary
I'm in for at least one set. Probably two.
Rob-O
I doubt ABS would be that great of an option. I would do something like TPO (thermoplastic olefins). You get good flexibility, great impact resistance (depends on grade, or percentage of rubber in the compound) and good uV resistance would be available. ABS has terrible UV resistance, although it might not matter here. ABS is fairly rigid too. A good rock strike could crack the material. Just me $.02
StratPlayer
I'm going to trace out the liners today and get the tracings off to mikey. Looks like we'll finally have these available again.
zonedoubt
What do they look like installed?
Mikey914
I have located a suitable material and I've ordered it in, I will still need to do some work on my end, but there is some progress.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:17 AM) *

I have located a suitable material and I've ordered it in, I will still need to do some work on my end, but there is some progress.

Cool! beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
I remember these.
I'd given up hope I'd ever get a set.
Glad they're going back into production.

Put me down for a set. pray.gif

PS, I hope they fit well. smash.gif
jwc914
Mikey if you are going to make these parts you should look into 3d printers, they are getting cheaper and will print out these in seconds with many options on materials even metals, just need the file
andys
A liner for fiberglass flares is almost a must have to prevent spyder cracks. On race cars , I'd to glue a sheet of rubber to the undersides.

Andys
abnrdo
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 22 2012, 11:44 AM) *

What do they look like installed?

Anyone have a photo of them installed?

Mikey914
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:48 AM) *

Mikey if you are going to make these parts you should look into 3d printers, they are getting cheaper and will print out these in seconds with many options on materials even metals, just need the file

The 3D priniters are pretty good, and I do have access to one, I have found for production that they are very expensive for the volume I would require. Waterjet is very fast and efficient for cutting s commercially available material. Raw componet costs and consumables really are another decididng factor.
veltror
A few points,

these were designed and sold by Jerome Jay Mikesell in Chicago. In fact my car I bought from him. Some people had issues with Jay but I never did, I thought he was a nice bloke, YMMV.

When I bought my car he suggested that I buy some whell well liners. The fit great and I used them until i started my resto, did not mean it saved my car from rot but it did help. I will see if I have any pictures.

I am not sure what the deal is with copyright etc in the US. But I assume that you are on top of this. I still have one of his original adverts.

Roman
TC 914-8
Mark and all, For some reason the 914 universe is aligning.
Sorry to say I did not read the thread, too many beer3.gif but I was just thinking two days ago, as I was cleaning gravel and rocks out of my fender wells, " I need to close these wells off"
So low and behold you guys gome up with what I was thinking....
I'm in... Let me know when they are ready

P.S. Mark, I met one of your fellow crew members yesterday, Inez, says she knows you well. You are a great guy!! I agreed first.gif

Keep up the good work
Mikey914
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 23 2012, 08:51 PM) *

Mark and all, For some reason the 914 universe is aligning.
Sorry to say I did not read the thread, too many beer3.gif but I was just thinking two days ago, as I was cleaning gravel and rocks out of my fender wells, " I need to close these wells off"
So low and behold you guys gome up with what I was thinking....
I'm in... Let me know when they are ready

P.S. Mark, I met one of your fellow crew members yesterday, Inez, says she knows you well. You are a great guy!! I agreed first.gif

Keep up the good work

Inez is a sweety, a lot of fun to hang with.

I have finished the programming on these and just need to get some material in. I'm back in late Tue so I can hopefully do some proving and get these moving. The pricing at $75 is close, the materials cost may change it by about $10, I'm working that out on Monday. I'll be posting on these soon. Just wanted to up date this as I have too many projects open, but each one is getting some attention.
-Mark
rwilner
I'm probably in for a set...these will reduce cabin noise, and reducing cabin noise increases the "WAF" (wife acceptance factor).
Mikey914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 15 2012, 06:40 AM) *

I'm probably in for a set...these will reduce cabin noise, and reducing cabin noise increases the "WAF" (wife acceptance factor).

Yes the reason I'm thinking about these is the WAF.
The programming is done, I'll be cutting within the week and test fitting to my car. I'll post pictures a soon as I have them installed.
cary
I'm good for two sets right off the bat.
Four in total.

If you need a place to test and fit without laying on the ground.
I have a car siting on my two lift in Forest Grove.
Mikey914
I'm going to have these on my car for the drive down to WCR as the wife will be with me. I'll have installed pictures tomorrow as the weather should be good.
-mark
GeorgeRud
These were sold through Partswerks in Chicago back when. JayMiksell, the owner, was quite a character and I'll leave it at that. We had a good relationship, but many others had issues with him. Long gone, but nice to see his idea's still around.
cary
How did the liners work ???
Mikey914
I gave a set to Jim Hoyland to check the fit. I haven't heard anything back yet. I do have another set I can send out if someone has some time to check the fit on these. PM me.
-mark
914werke
Send um this way smile.gif
DonTraver
I'm in for a set.
partwerks
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 20 2012, 04:05 PM) *

These were sold through Partswerks in Chicago back when. JayMiksell, the owner, was quite a character and I'll leave it at that. We had a good relationship, but many others had issues with him. Long gone, but nice to see his idea's still around.

I recall him selling the liners as well.

I wonder whatever happened to his wife Kathy?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 20 2012, 08:36 AM) *

I gave a set to Jim Hoyland to check the fit. I haven't heard anything back yet. I do have another set I can send out if someone has some time to check the fit on these. PM me.
-mark

I'm going to test fit the liners this coming weekend. Sorry for the delay smile.gif
Mikey914
I have made up 15 sets in black and I'm checking the fit. I'll be playing more tomorrow. From what I can see there may be a slight modification to the end product for the rears to fit a little better. Jim has been vert helpfull in helping to redesign this product.

The good news is that these will be able to be modified to fit any shap fender flares. The catch is that the end user will have to cut the patern and pop rivet the adaptation custom for the car.

More to follow tomorrow.
Mikey914
The fronts were no problem fitting, they almost don't need the clips.

The rears were another story. The pattern from what I could tell needed to be longer to go behind the control are mount (and follow the top section where the fender and body meet. Or it needed to be wider to cover the gap between the fenders to the body.

I chose to plat with the latter. I figured that if you could keep crap from being built up on the mount, it would hurt, so why not kill 2 birds and keep it clean (er).

I cut a piece to mount and cover this, and had an idea. I could create a deformation using the mounting rivets that would cover it nicely and give some clearance. I need to road test it, but looks like it should work.
Mikey914
Installed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.