Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay, I got one of the heads off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Pulled the passenger side head off a little while ago. Looks like there was a good amount of blowby plus a leaky head gasket. Any comments are appreciated.
Allan
Another
Allan
The head
Allan
Oh by the way. I can't get all of the cam followers out. Any tricks?
Eric Taylor
Split the case smile.gif
Allan
Well unfortunately it looks like that is exactly what I am going to have to do. Looking down into the case at the cam it looks like the cam lobes are worn out. There are spots that look like some type of plating material has worn through. headbang.gif
SpecialK
Magnet? (follower removal)
Allan
Wont come out with a magnet. Comes up flush with the case then hits a lip or something. I don't think it really matters now being that I have to split the cases.
r_towle
looks just like any high mileage VW/Porsche 4 cylinder motor...

Split and check all the tolerances....it needs to be rebuilt...

I would suggest you send the case and crank to the same place (together) to get them to check both and provide you with the proper bearings for the re-machined case and crank.
The rest you should get some new stuff...

new cam
new P/C's
blah blah blah

Rich
Allan
I know headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif This sucks.
Allan
So any advise on replacement pistons and cylinders. Pelican wants $550.00 for a set of the Euro specs. Are the Japanese made ones on ebay crap or what?
bob91403
Just a suggestion. After your repair, before you bolt up your exhaust go to www.casperlabs.com/casperlabsinc/id1.html. They seem to have a very nice product that is well worth a look. The page takes forever to load. Be patient, it's worth it.
Cap'n Krusty
Crank grinding and case align boring are RARE in T4 motors. I can't remember a single case in 30+ years that needed boring, and there was a time when we were doing 3-4 a week. Same for the cranks. I still see old dead T4 motors with a jillion miles on 'em and standard cranks. In the case of a bad rod journal, just get another crank. In the case of an exploded motor, just get another one. Cam wear, on the other hand, is an ongoing problem. Be sure to buy a good quality cam and new lifters. Web Cam makes sets. HTH, The Cap'n
MattR
For pistons, you might want to consider going with 96mm pistons from aircooled.net. The set is 275 with rings last I checked. You have to get your cylinders bored too, but thats not tough, it looks like you're going to need it anyway.
watsonrx13
This is what the heads will look like after a rebuild.

Thanks Joe.... smilie_pokal.gif
watsonrx13
Here's some 94mm P/C.

Again, thanks Joe... smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.