Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jr91472
Knock on wood, I have never experienced a CV failure. Is there a way to "test" their condition? Think I have heard people mention a knocking sound when they are failing. Is this true? Does it happen under accel? decel?

Sorry if a little OT
jPs
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Oct 3 2004, 04:55 PM)
Knock on wood, I have never experienced a CV failure. Is there a way to "test" their condition? Think I have heard people mention a knocking sound when they are failing. Is this true? Does it happen under accel? decel?

Sorry if a little OT

I just picked up my teener and have been sorting everything out. The first thing I noted was grease being slung from the inner CV joints which I guess meant the seal were failing. About two weeks later I heard a noise coming from the side that failed which sounded as if something was loose...kinda a low toned popping on accel. Shortly there after the CV joint failed. After removing the shafts I noted that there was still a good deal of grease in the cups so I suspect that it wasn't failure due to lubrication but just normal wear.

From this point forward I've decided that I will just pull the shafts every 30k or so and clean and repack the joints as standard maintance and after noticing how loose some of the bolts were I'm also hoping to attach safety wires as others have suggesting in previous topics.
jr91472
thanks jPs,

I am afraid I may know that sound. <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.