Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW Caliper modification problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Long story how this happened however I was going to "upgrade" my front calipers to BMW 320i calipers. I was having the caliper flange machined and (long story) the flange is now a little too thin. The specs call for the flange to be 0.587" +/-0.005" and mine measure 0.539". Other than the obvious- scrap them and start with a new set- do I have any options? Can I can get a perfectly measured, very thin spacer and put it between the strut and the flange?

Also, are 19mm master cylinders needed for 320i calipers?
rick 918-S
19mm master is needed or your peddle travel will be scary long. unsure.gif The 320 piston fluid volume is more than the stock 914 caliper. The 320 caliper is not optimum in my opinion. First the machine work then the pads ride high on the rotor and actually over the top I guess. The BMW 2002 4 piston is better and a direct bolt on with the exception of the duel lines. They are small and light unlike the Volvo 4 piston units. I have them on my car.
tornik550
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2012, 10:16 PM) *

19mm master is needed or your peddle travel will be scary long. unsure.gif The 320 piston fluid volume is more than the stock 914 caliper. The 320 caliper is not optimum in my opinion. First the machine work then the pads ride high on the rotor and actually over the top I guess. The BMW 2002 4 piston is better and a direct bolt on with the exception of the duel lines. They are small and light unlike the Volvo 4 piston units. I have them on my car.

What do you do about the dual lines on the BMW 2002 calipers? It looks like you can get them for a good price. Do you need a 19mm MC for the 2002 calipers?
tornik550
QUOTE(Scotti @ Apr 1 2012, 10:34 PM) *

stock brakes a great just buy some porterfields piratenanner.gif

Here are my options (opinions please)- weekend driving with occasional autox-

-stock 914/4 calipers with porterfields and 17mm MC
-stock 914/4 calipers with porterfields and 19mm MC (I currently have a 17mm MC)
-BMW 320 Calipers with Porterfields and 17mm MC
-BMW 320 Calipers with Poerterfields and 19mm MC
-BMW 2002 Calipers with 17mm MC

of coarse- cheap is good
tornik550
QUOTE(Scotti @ Apr 1 2012, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Apr 1 2012, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Scotti @ Apr 1 2012, 10:34 PM) *

stock brakes a great just buy some porterfields piratenanner.gif

Here are my options (opinions please)- weekend driving with occasional autox-

-stock 914/4 calipers with porterfields and 17mm MC
-stock 914/4 calipers with porterfields and 19mm MC (I currently have a 17mm MC)
-BMW 320 Calipers with Porterfields and 17mm MC
-BMW 320 Calipers with Poerterfields and 19mm MC
-BMW 2002 Calipers with 17mm MC

of coarse- cheap is good

stock 914-4 with 19mm and porterfield 4s are more than you'll ever need. The pads aren't cheap but the compound works well.

17mm MC will give you a long pedal meaning it will bite down low towards the floor board.

19mm gives you a harder pedal that bites in the middle

I prefer the feel of a 19mm

Sounds good. I already ordered the Porterfields. Now I need to find a 19mm MC for cheap- anyone got one? I'll post in the Classifieds.

edwin
I put some of the Alfa 75 Brembo calipers on my car recently and I love the way it stops. I had a set of BMW 2pots and volvo 4pots and the alfa units are MUCH lighter.
I also have the 19mm master and I wouldnt use any less.
Edwin
rick 918-S
Use the stock 914 calipers. Rebuild them with new rubber lines and use good pads and you'll have great brakes. 19mm master will give you a high pedel because of the increase in fluid volume it moves when the pedel is depressed.

If you start adding a larger contact patch and more unsprung weight you may want to consider increasing the clamping force by changing to a 4 piston style caliper of using a larger caliper and vented rotor.

Hp has nothing to do with stopping the car. 100 mph with 85 hp is the same 100 mph with 300 hp. A flat 4 with two fat guys weighs as much as a V8 car. The force required to stop both cars is equal. The formula changes when you add larger and wider tires with heavier wheels. The rotational force adds resistance. This requires more clamping force.

Here's my 2002 setup. I made the lines with a tubing bender and a bubble flare kit.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.