Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame for flat bed trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

Been thinking about building some sort of frame for a flat bed trailer that could be easily removed. The frame would be covered with tarps, cut to fit and with fasteners to attach the tarps to the frame.

Looking for design ideas, i.e., 2 x 4's, PVC or what?

I like the idea of using 2 x 4's, but they are heavy.

PVC would be good, but is it strong enough to hold up to wind when towing?
Randal
[quote name='Randal' date='Apr 2 2012, 01:20 PM' post='1659072']
Been thinking about building some sort of frame for a flat bed trailer that could be easily removed. The frame would be covered with tarps, cut to fit and with fasteners to attach the tarps to the frame.

Looking for design ideas, i.e., 2 x 4's, PVC or what?

I like the idea of using 2 x 4's, but they are heavy.

PVC would be good, but is it strong enough to hold up to wind when towing?

It might be easier to get a custom tarp made, that could be tied down, so it didn't beat the paint to death at speed.

Anyone ever noddled through this?
URY914
I've thought about the same thing.

I'd use EMT (electrical conduit). 1/2, 3/4, 1" sizes. Weld it or use couplings.

For the covers use tarps from Northern Tool and add grommets where needed.
URY914
PVC is not strong enough unless you use 2" or larger which won't work. Also PVC won't hold up over time. UV light will eat it up.
TheCabinetmaker
You could build something that would resemble the canvas cover on a duece and a half (2 1/2 ton military troop transport) from conduit and a bender, but iI can't imagine how to secure it to hold together in a 70mph wind.
Aaron Cox
you want a canopy? or just something to cover it with?

If the latter, try a dump truck style tarp pulled taught over the car.
http://www.coversuperstore.com/Dump-Truck-Tarp-Roller-Kits/

either way, it'll be a sail at freeway speeds.
URY914
Aaron, is that you? bye1.gif
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 2 2012, 01:27 PM) *

I've thought about the same thing.

I'd use EMT (electrical conduit). 1/2, 3/4, 1" sizes. Weld it or use couplings.

For the covers use tarps from Northern Tool and add grommets where needed.

Cool idea Paul.

Now to figure out how to build the strongest squares, i.e., like with a X in the middle.

Come to think of it, you could build a frame across the front, angled at 45 degrees that attached to side frames on each side, built at the same angle.

Then all the frames behind that could be build the same, maybe even for the top.

I've got to go look at EMT couplers...
MoveQik
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 2 2012, 01:29 PM) *

Also PVC won't hold up over time. UV light will eat it up.

If you paint it, it will hold up no problem. That is what they do with the PVC plumbing on pool equipment. Ours is 11 years in full AZ sun everyday and doing just fine.

However, I would question PVC at highway speeds. blink.gif
brant
One thing I like to ponder when ever I attempt a project like this...

how much damage is it going to cause if something goes wrong..
Imagine a structural failure on the Interstate and the crash damage behind me...

would the lawsuit and possible medical bills be more than the price of a $5,000 enclosed trailer?

Randal
unsure.gif
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 2 2012, 02:36 PM) *

One thing I like to ponder when ever I attempt a project like this...

how much damage is it going to cause if something goes wrong..
Imagine a structural failure on the Interstate and the crash damage behind me...

would the lawsuit and possible medical bills be more than the price of a $5,000 enclosed trailer?

Good point.

You'd have to use some sort of canvas or whatever for the covering. We don't have to look to far to see what can happen; like sails when they get under pressure.

Although I think with the right tie downs you'd be safe. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Buy a 10x20 awning from your FLAPS or Sears ~$100. Comes with the frame and tarp. Just cut to fit your trailer. All the engineering is done for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.