Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a grasshopper out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bob91403
There were supposedly 100 made. I guess there's no way to track one from a dealership. Would the paint code be L80? Same as the creamsicle? Does one exist, or is it now only a legend? How would you verify it? Scrape paint on rockers or bumpers? If it was repainted, what's the most likely place you'd find evidence?
Part Pricer
Does one exist, or is it now only a legend?

It always has been a legend. This has been discussed many times. No one has been able to provide any tangible evidence.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&hl=grasshopper
iamchappy
It surprises me know one has made a clone.
tdgray
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 30 2004, 04:00 AM)
It surprises me know one has made a clone.

I was actually contemplating it.

But it just seems wrong, can't explain it. Oh and of course I don't have a 74 <_<
GWN7
Start with a White 74 (got one) and take Andy style pictures of it (blurry, far distance) at various locations and send them to Jeff. laugh.gif

Hmmm.... happy11.gif happy11.gif idea.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 30 2004, 04:00 AM)
It surprises me no one has made a clone.

my personal opinion is that the 'sightings' have been exactly that.
Bleyseng
I remember seeing one years ago..... I have seen the poster where all 3 colors are lined up. Had it on the old computer that crashed.

Geoff
JeffBowlsby
Would the paint code be L80? Same as the creamsicle? Does one exist, or is it now only a legend? How would you verify it? Scrape paint on rockers or bumpers? If it was repainted, what's the most likely place you'd find evidence?

Hi Bob...sounds like you may be on to one...?

L80E should be the paint code. Check the paint at the side valences and bumpers...should be a medium green color...

The only for sure way to verify its authenticity will be to get the COA.

Tell us more... smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2004, 05:12 AM)
I remember seeing one years ago..... I have seen the poster where all 3 colors are lined up.

the factory airbrush artists were very skilled.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 30 2004, 07:39 AM)
Start with a White 74 (got one) and take Andy style pictures of it (blurry, far distance) at various locations and send them to Jeff.

Why send them to Jeff?

If you are going to go through all of the trouble, put it on ebay.

Rare Limited Edition Porsche 914 Grasshopper, only one known to exist. Rare! Rare! Rare!

If you're going to fake the car, you could also easily forge a COA. Hmmm...how much could I get? Err...I mean, how much could somebody get? rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
I had a grasshopper LE...

but.......Brad stole it laugh.gif
BatAc
I have a '74 but not a grasshopper. It has been repainted (in another lifetime) as white but was originally yellow. Does this make it faster??? confused24.gif
tod914
If I'm not mistaken, Dan Rather drives one.
phantom914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 30 2004, 10:09 AM)
If I'm not mistaken, Dan Rather drives one.

He has the typed documents to prove its authenticity.

Andrew
Qarl
I had a grasshopper 914 LE, but my mom gave me this $30K truck to drive instead, after she got me having sex in my bedroom with my door unlocked.
phantom914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 30 2004, 10:15 AM)
I had a grasshopper 914 LE, but my mom gave me this $30K truck to drive instead, after she got me having sex in my bedroom with my door unlocked.

You need to start a thread complaining about that and asking for advice about how to make your mom do what you want.

Andrew
type47
i saw a "flamingo" LE once; that's the one with the pink paint instead of the green or red or blk/yellow.... biggrin.gif (or at least trying to be...)

maybe someone could photoshop a grasshopper.... idea.gif
Bleyseng
They actually did make a run of Pink 914's as I have the transmission out of one.
Didn't Jenny drive one for awhile....... rolleyes.gif
Geoff
DNHunt
Not that kind of tranny Geoff
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 30 2004, 10:15 AM)

ROFLOL

Now you listen to me you sumbitch. Get your ass into school, shut up, eat dirt, shut up, do what I say, shut up and don't disrespect your mother and shut up too.
BatAc
So let me get this straight. You had the only grasshopper but your mother made you get rid of it so there would be no known existence, then gave you a $30K truck. Is this correct??? huh.gif cool.gif ohmy.gif Plus there's some sex goin' on in the bedroom! unsure.gif So if we have a grasshopper, a bumblebee why do we have a creamcicle??? wacko.gif
bob91403
If someone restored a creamsicle as a grasshopper, could you get a COA? How would they know? Do they have specific LE numbers, or only the range of numbers that they were produced from? Again, how could it be verified?
gregrobbins
The first post said 100 were made. But no one really knows. The factory has never released information on the number of LE cars produced.

Given the interest in a grasshopper and the fact that there are NO, ZIP, ZERO photos, I doubt anyone claiming to find a grasshopper would be believed. You would have to start with a COA, then get the known LE experts to go over the car with a fine tooth comb to establish it is the real deal.

Now that I think of it, I did hear that the Loche Ness Monster ownes one and there are photos, but only black and white, and a little out of focus.
mercdev
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Sep 30 2004, 06:22 PM)
The first post said 100 were made. But no one really knows. The factory has never released information on the number of LE cars produced.

Given the interest in a grasshopper and the fact that there are NO, ZIP, ZERO photos, I doubt anyone claiming to find a grasshopper would be believed. You would have to start with a COA, then get the known LE experts to go over the car with a fine tooth comb to establish it is the real deal.

If nobody knows, and nobody has one to compare the unknown to, how would said 'experts' know ? blink.gif
Allan
I think I saw Elvis driver one yesterday with Hoffa riding shotgun. biggrin.gif
william harris
When Kerry was in Cambodia for Christmas on a secret mission and took that 16 point buck, the Grasshopper was his ride! laugh.gif Never mind, he must have smoked some of that Cambodia weed and dreamed the whole damn thing. smoke.gif
JeffBowlsby
Too easy.

The COAs list paint number as U1V9 = Bumblebee, U2V9 = Creamsicle...can you guess what the Grasshoppa might be?

The current COAs also usually describe the colors used...Black/Sunflower Yellow or Light Ivory/Phoenix Red.

A mischievous soul could make up a phake COA, but it would be easy enough to confirm the correctness of it with PCNA.

Next question... wink.gif
bob91403
Where were these "uv" paint numbers found on the car?
gregrobbins
The experts would probably need to remove items like the spoiler, bumpers, rockers and look at the paint. You should be able to identify the original colors or determine the extent of work done to the car. Also you can look at the part numbers on the spoiler, motor, transmission, and body to identify it as an original. And these numbers should agree with the COA. You can also track the history of the ownership and, if you are lucky, contact the original owner. They may have photos long forgotten.

Anyway, mute point, I don't believe a grasshopper will ever turn up. Hope I am wrong. And yes, if I found one, I would have no problem with someone inspecting it in detail by removing parts.
914werke
"Whats a "current " COA ? COA thread unsure.gif
914werke
no what I meant was what do you qualify as current? if you follow the link I only recieved that one in March huh.gif
Are you suggesting they provide more/less detail now?
gregrobbins
Oh.

If I remember correctly, on Jeff's site he states that the COAs vary a little over time. Some cars are called Limited Edition and some called CanAm. If you were purchasing a vehicle and the COA was important, I am sure you could verify it with PCA, or order an update to make sure you are getting the real thing. With computers, scanners, art programs and really talented people, just about anything can be faked. I see it in my work (mortgages) too often. It pays to go to the source. Always, just to make sure.
davep
With the info I have collected, and shared with Jeff, I think we could make a reasonable determination of authenticity. However, I would want a COA that provides positive proof of a grasshopper. There are attributes of the COA that would provide definitive detail of whether it was an LE.

I think the figure of 100 was a wild guess on Jeff's part. There is printed info suggesting that 1000 cars were built, thus cementing the "limited edition" moniker. The same info suggest that only the two varieties were available. I believe it is reasonable to state that the numbers were evenly split, thus 500 black, and 500 ivory. Most of what we know is posted on Jeff's website. Most of the rest I treat as wild speculation.
bob91403
Rennlist gives estimates of 60/30/10. Bumble Bee/ Creamsicle/ Grasshopper. Don't know where they get their numbers, but, they still say it was only 1000 cars.
JeffBowlsby
the figure of 100 was a wild guess

Wild...thats me. Yep its just speculation... wink.gif

Don't forget the 'Factory' declaration of the Grasshopper LE existence on the www.porsche.com website... ohmy.gif

Check out the various COAs on the 914LE website...there are some interesting differences over the years. Rich Ds is what I would consider current...note it says U2V9.

Now Rich, I have been meaning to ask you...with the COA as proof...Do you now have VIN 16594? If you do...we want to see photos pal.... biggrin.gif
914werke
No. Its what remains of 16694. cool.gif
Its not much to look at now just a rusty white tub.
But one day.......... beer.gif
boxsterfan
Don't forget the 'Factory' declaration of the Grasshopper LE existence on the www.porsche.com website...  

Where is the link to the factory confirmed existence to the Grasshopper? I have never been able to find it or much of anything about the 914 on Porsche's site.

Thanks!! smilie_pokal.gif
JeffBowlsby
Click through:

English-North America-USA-Classics-Road cars-914-1974 and that should get you there.

Its a tricky site to navigate...try this link:

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/classi...84?OpenDocument

Here is the text anyways:

"The 1974 VW-Porsche was first admired in 1973 at the IAA in Frankfurt. When the pop-up headlights were open, the new versions could be distinguished by the colour of the headlight surrounds which were now black rather than white. The press release at the time summarised the most important new features for the still unchallenged best-selling German sports car under the motto ”the main aim was to offer the buyer even more safety and comfort”: ”Therefore all 914s are now supplied as standard with sports wheels and three-point safety belts. The 914 2.0 now also has a composite glass front windscreen and vinyl-covered roll bar (previously an optional extra).”
The little 914 had also acquired a new drive gear, which was described as ”nippier and more sprint-friendly”. The capacity was now 1.8 litres with an extra 5 HP making it 85 HP.
The IAA was followed in October 1973 by the Paris Salon where the company Karmann showed two particularly striking 914s. From these emerged the custom version 914 GT which was marketed in the USA as a limited edition. The striking paintwork was black with yellow bumpers, sills, side stripes, wheels, lower rear panel closure and front spoiler. An alternative version combined light ivory with green or orange. Well, the 70s was a colourful period."
tdgray
Is that Photoshop?

I always pictured the green as a lighter green <_<
anthony
The ironic thing is that the ivory/green LE would have been the best looking one of the bunch.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 1 2004, 02:46 PM)
The ironic thing is that the ivory/green LE would have been the best looking one of the bunch.

that, or, the Bumblebee-GT !!!
SirAndy
here's another LE, they listed it as a '75 ???

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://www.rhumetal.de/
bob91403
In Europe they were CanAms, weren't they?
SirAndy
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 1 2004, 04:06 PM)
In Europe they were CanAms, weren't they?

they never officially sold the LE in europe.

they were called "GT" s in germany ...
Andy
JeffBowlsby
AAHHHNNDEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

You knew that Creamsicle GT for sale would get my attention…This car is too cool. cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

The 1975 reference must be in error if its an authentic 914GT...

There is another Creamsicle GT on the 914LE website…this car could be the same one as your new find, but it might also be different. They both have the antenna on the drivers side, silver Targa bar trim and some odd dark-colored wheel center caps, but the license plate is different. Unfortunately I have no information on the other car.

Can you contact the seller for me and get a more information? Pleez, pleez pleez. Get the VIN, chassis number and more detailed photos, ESPECIALLY of the dash medallion? I would be curious to know what the asking price is too. This is a very rare car. The only 914GT Bumblebee on the Registry (VIN 16276) has a medallion saying No 27, so there were not many of these made in Eurospec trim, yet 16276 was made at the end of the 914 LE production…a mystery.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 1 2004, 01:46 PM)

I can't say that! I kinda have always been partial to the Creamsickle. I thought the Green ones were kinda funky......

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 1 2004, 07:28 PM)
Can you contact the seller for me and get a more information?

i'm going to (blind)-copy you on the email i'm sending them.
just for the giggles, so you have something to translate biggrin.gif

just don't reply to it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Danke Mein Freunde.... cool.gif Google sez:

"Hello, I is very much interested in their Volkswagen Porsche 914 2.0L GT! Can you me please more information over the cars send. Erstzulassungsdatum, chassis number, body number, GT certificate and naturally the purchase price. I would be you in addition very connected if you me a few detailierte photos of the vehicle identification plates to send could. The vehicle identification plates are in the front trunk at the headlight box on the front seat passenger side, at the front door jamb on the driver's side and the rear door jamb on the driver's side. Does the car have also the original "GT" plaque at the Amaturenbrett (on the front seat passenger side)? In advance thank you for your efforts! Greeting from sonningen California, Andreas Schmidt"
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 2 2004, 02:31 PM)
"Hello, I is very much interested in their Volkswagen Porsche 914 2.0L GT! Can you me please more information over the cars send. Erstzulassungsdatum, chassis number, body number, GT certificate and naturally the purchase price. I would be you in addition very connected if you me a few detailierte photos of the vehicle identification plates to send could. The vehicle identification plates are in the front trunk at the headlight box on the front seat passenger side, at the front door jamb on the driver's side and the rear door jamb on the driver's side. Does the car have also the original "GT" plaque at the Amaturenbrett (on the front seat passenger side)? In advance thank you for your efforts! Greeting from sonningen California, Andreas Schmidt"

laugh.gif google translation *sucks* ...

aktion035.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.