Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sideshift engine beam with tailshift tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973_1.7
I know i cant use a tailshift engine beam with sideshift transmission, but is it possible the other way? Sideshift engine beam with tailshifte transmission?
SirAndy
QUOTE(1973_1.7 @ Apr 5 2012, 01:31 PM) *

I know i cant use a tailshift engine beam with sideshift transmission, but is it possible the other way? Sideshift engine beam with tailshifte transmission?

I'm pretty sure the shift-rod won't fit around the engine mount bar ...
idea.gif
1973_1.7
The problem is that I have a freshly rebuilt tailshift transmission without the linkage, and the linkage is difficult to source in Norway. I have to get shipped from somewhere abroad, and the shipping will be much cheaper without the engine bar.
So it would be great to know if I can use my engine bar or not, that would save me alot in shipping as they are big and heavy smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(1973_1.7 @ Apr 5 2012, 03:13 PM) *

The problem is that I have a freshly rebuilt tailshift transmission without the linkage, and the linkage is difficult to source in Norway. I have to get shipped from somewhere abroad, and the shipping will be much cheaper without the engine bar.
So it would be great to know if I can use my engine bar or not, that would save me alot in shipping as they are big and heavy smile.gif

Do you have a spare sideshifter? You can convert your tailshifter to a sideshifter ...
idea.gif
1973_1.7
I have a spare sideshifter, I opened it up and changed the synchro bands but I cant get it to shift properly and I am lacking 4th and 5th gear, so the tailshifter was supposed to be a quick fix until I get the sideshifter opened up and adjusted properly. What needs to be changed to convert the sideshifter?
Dr Evil
Did you get my DVD? It will cover all of this.

To your original question, no. The front mounts on the engine to the bar are totally different.
Dr Evil
By the way, it would be pretty easy to make a tail shift mount bar, but not a side shift one.
1973_1.7
Hi Dr. evil , I have not received your dvd yet but some times the mail takes a little time.

I also have the engine mounts for a tailshifter, so its just the engine mount bar and the linakge i am missing. But the tailshift linkage does not clear the engine mount bar from a sideshifter?
Dr Evil
The mounts from the engine to the tail shift bar are different and wont work on the side shift bar. Honestly, I can not remember if the tail shift linkage will work with a side shift bar as this is not a common conversion. I have seen a side shift linkage with a tail shift bar and that does not work.

Again, if you have all the bits except for the mount bar, the tail shift bar is easy to make.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.