Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, I am back on the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
skline
After a long spell of not working on the car, I am back working on it again. I want to try to get it on the road for the D&G swap meet this month. So I am in the garage again working diligently at night and when I can get on it without any disruptions. The carpet should be in tonight along with the seats. Hopefully the last part for the cooling system will be here by the weekend and I can take it down next week for the exhaust system. Mesa Muffler will be custom fabricating it for me by my design. It wont be pretty, but it will run. Wish me luck. I got a lot to do. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Are you going have a helper too? wavey.gif
skline
Nope, no helpers, not that can be here anyway. I am on my own. Its peaceful actually, no distractions. Just me and the "King" tonight in the garage working on the car. Listening to Sirius 13 and getting things done. Here is a picture of me test fitting the new carpet kit.
Andyrew
Waiting to hear how it goes!

Hope you dont get the same engine problems im having....

Andrew
skline
Here is the seats and backpad and center cushion in the car. I hope the wrinkles come out of the seats, they have been on the shelf for awhile with stuff stacked on top of them.
Aaron Cox
looks good scott!whered you source the carpet from? (dude BTW your eyes in your avatar are creepy mAN)
skline
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 30 2004, 08:42 PM)
looks good scott!whered you source the carpet from? (dude BTW your eyes in your avatar are creepy mAN)

I got the carpet from a guy in Torrance that makes Porsche parts. I won them on Evilbay and picked them up. Nice guy, I think we should get him as a sponsor for the WCC05. As for my eyes in the avatar, what would yours look like if you had no sleep for 26 hours? Or worse yet, broken sleep? That is what I live on lately.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(skline @ Sep 30 2004, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 30 2004, 08:42 PM)

I got the carpet from a guy in Torrance that makes Porsche parts. I won them on Evilbay and picked them up. Nice guy, I think we should get him as a sponsor for the WCC05. As for my eyes in the avatar, what would yours look like if you had no sleep for 26 hours? Or worse yet, broken sleep? That is what I live on lately.

bummer man. whats up with the lack of sleep? hope it sorts out

carpet: is that APPBIZ on ebay?
skline
Joe, if you are reading this, I need my spray glue back. Looks like I am stuck for tonight without the glue. I will have to get some more tomorrow. I am a pedestrian tonight, they kept my truck overnight for observation at the dealer and the wife is at school with the other car. I will find other stuff to do for now. Time is passing by each moment.
skline
Yup! Appbiz, he does nice work. I like his car parts.
Aaron Cox
3m spray glue... got some at my house in corona. let me know (used it for my dash upholstery)
skline
wont be tonight, I will get some tomorrow. I gave mine to Joe last weekend.
Mrs. K
driving-girl.gif Hey Scott,
I can't believe how good it looks (not that I doubted your talent), you really have been working hard ar15.gif
Too bad I couldn't have been there to help wub.gif
Would have been fun!
Keep up the good work! aktion035.gif
Lisa
PS I agree about the new avatar....I'll help you take another pic if you'd like (you are much better looking biggrin.gif)
skline
I think I will take a picture of my ass and make that my avatar, then you could all kiss it. biggrin.gif JK

Fine, I will change my avatar to something else. It must be because you are all jealous of my good looks. wacko.gif
JB 914
I would give you back your spray glue, but, i snorted it last night after the SQL nightmare......... party.gif

I've got my solid tranny mounts today from the bird boys in El Segundo. I'm gonna drive this v-8 this weekend
rhodyguy
missed the creepy avatar. sounds like you're close scott. cool wheel what's it out of? is it a direct application?

kevin
aircooledboy
That interior is looking schweeeet. clap56.gif

Don't lose momentum my man, get'er done. You'll be sooo glad you did. Here's a little incentive for ya: I think I have finally smoothed out the little bugs from my re-install, took her out today for about a three hour round trip on a beautiful fall morning, and there just ain't nothin' like it. The sound, power, feel AND looks you get from others, the V8 is unlike anything I have ever driven before. The idea that I will have to put her away in a month or so is enough to make me wanna cry. driving.gif lol2.gif

GET'ER DONE!!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
John2kx
Chris,

Glad to hear your getting some enjoyment out of your ride. There is nothing like it (from what I have experienced) and hard to explain. Damn, does it sound like I'm starting to miss her?

I expect you will feel the need for a little more power after about another 1000 miles or so. Nitrous? Bigger cam? Nother set of heads : ) You'll see what I mean.

John
Andyrew
Or Or oooh I have an idea... Run the car (after the initial break in..) at 1/2 throttle everywhere... Each month put a little more throttle... a little more throttle, till WOT.. Then when you get there.. you could go turbo or what not...

I plan on something like that... but I need numbers for bragging rights, then I can tune it down.

Andrew
Mrs. K
icon_bump.gif
Hey Scott, no pics of the progress this weekend?
sad.gif
We all wanna see 'em!
smash.gif
Lisa w00t.gif
skline
Well, I am at work now but the pictures would be so similar to the other ones I have posted unless you want to see the speedo drive gear installed and the cable plugged in, and the clutch cable hooked up, and the trans mounts redone correctly and stuff like that. Its all little finishing stuff now. However, the car goes in this week for the muffler system, I will take and post pictures of that.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(skline @ Sep 30 2004, 10:08 PM)
I think I will take a picture of my ass and make that my avatar, then you could all kiss it. biggrin.gif JK

Fine, I will change my avatar to something else. It must be because you are all jealous of my good looks. wacko.gif

It's been done.... bootyshake.gif
Toast
Cool Seats! Are those covers or seats only. If they are covers, where did you get them?
I would like to get cloth seat inserts in Brown for my teener.

Toast
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 4 2004, 09:30 AM)
Cool Seats! Are those covers or seats only. If they are covers, where did you get them?

Toast

cough...mexico....cough

im very happy with my new mexican seats biggrin.gif
skline
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 4 2004, 09:30 AM)

Toast

They are not covers, I bought the seats like that from Steve Malmz on an Ebay auction for I think $100.00. I will be recovering them probably next year. There are a few cig burns on the bottom cushion on one of them. They dont look that bad but the color is not what I really want for the interior once I paint to the Cobalt blue this winter.
skline
Ok, Here is the latest progress report. The car will be going to Mesa Muffler on Thursday morning for the exhaust system. With any luck it will run this weekend. Tongiht I got the fuel pump installed and the trans linkage hooked up and everything underneath the car is complete except for the sway bar bushings and brakes. Here are some pictures of the fuel pump mounted where the battery used to be. It is mounted on rubber pods taken from a smog pump pulley from a 76 2 liter engine. Porsche parts you know. biggrin.gif The shifter feels different but I think it will work. If I have too many problems changing gears, I will make another shifter rod.
skline
Underside
skline
another
rhodyguy
scott, i went back and looked at the fun run thread. jp noted there were no concave washers, and that may have lead to the failure on the sport mounts. are there supposed to be a pair on the transmission mounts?

kevin
skline
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 6 2004, 06:17 AM)
scott, i went back and looked at the fun run thread. jp noted there were no concave washers, and that may have lead to the failure on the sport mounts. are there supposed to be a pair on the transmission mounts?

kevin

THe concave washers are not needed, the ones that were missing on Joe's car were the big flat ones on the very top closest to the trunk floor. Without them, the mounts came apart and there was nothing to hold them in so the transmission fell.
rhodyguy
very good then. no tickets on the way home from the muffler shop.

kevin
Mrs. K
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Great work there Scott! smilie_pokal.gif
Keep on keepin on!
Lisa driving-girl.gif
skline
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 6 2004, 06:35 AM)
very good then. no tickets on the way home from the muffler shop.

kevin

I dont think I can get a ticket with the car on trailer. It may be close, but without license and registration, the car cannot be driven yet. Besides, I still have to hook up all the electrical in the engine compartment and install the lights and stuff front and rear. Plus finish the inside and install the guages. I still have a lot to do yet.
skline
Ok, tomorrow is the big day. The trailer will be here at 10 and then its off to the muffler shop. I am hoping they have it done tomorrow. I dont see why they wouldnt. I will take pictures and post them when they are done. Ok, Now I am getting excited. To think this long journey to build this car is getting so close to an end. I have pictures of just about every step in the process from stock POS to where it is now and will continue all the way till the day I get it painted and its all done. This will most likely be the last car I build. The next one will be done already. Less headaches.
Mrs. K
Just think, this will be you soon! driving.gif
Great job, and congrats! clap56.gif I know you have worked really
hard on this project....alone and with some nice helpers rolleyes.gif
Good luck tomorrow! The car looks great! smilie_pokal.gif

Lisa
welder.gif
Howard
Lisa, talk is cheap. Don't believe it till he takes you for a driving.gif
skline
Howard, finger.gif You coming to D&G? I should have it there. You can see for yourself.
Joe Bob
A real MAN would drive it there without mufflers.... :finger2:
Mrs. K
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 7 2004, 06:27 AM)
A real MAN would drive it there without mufflers.... :finger2:

laugh.gif Good one Mike!

And Howard, you are correct sir!
I can't wait until I take a ride in it.
Maybe by WCC 05 ? cool.gif

Lisa biggrin.gif
skline
I must be getting old, I want it to be as quiet as my camry with the power of a Z06. I wont even fire it up here without mufflers. I got a neighbor who complains about everything.
skline
Well, I dropped the car off at the muffler shop about 20 minutes ago. Literally dropped it. As we were taking it off the trailer, one of the ramps fell and the back of the car fell to the ground. Ouch, now I need to fix that, it landed right on the fender and chipped it. It also was resting on where the brake lines connect and now its leaking. I will have to crawl back under it and see what the deal is. So in a few more hours, I will have it back and I will take pictures of it and post them. I went with a single muffler like on a camaro with dual in and dual out mounted in the rear. The guy said since the factory ran the pipes below the heat exchangers he was going to run the new pipes the same way. He said the less bends, the better it will flow. I figured he was the expert. We will see.
bondo
Still planning to make it to D&G? I'm looking forward to meeting it (and you) smile.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 7 2004, 12:00 PM)
Well, I dropped the car off at the muffler shop about 20 minutes ago. Literally dropped it.  As we were taking it off the trailer, one of the ramps fell and the back of the car fell to the ground. Ouch, now I need to fix that, it landed right on the fender and chipped it. It also was resting on where the brake lines connect and now its leaking. I will have to crawl back under it and see what the deal is.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Oh man that totally bites! headbang.gif
I hope it will be a quick repair!

Lisa driving-girl.gif
skline
Ok, now I am excited, I picked up the car and the guy did exactly what I wanted. Here is a picture taken this morning on the trailer of the back of the car without the exhaust installed.
skline
Here is a picture with the exhaust system installed. Can you see the difference? I wanted it to be stealth.
skline
And here is what it looks like underneath.
bondo
Nice! that's exactly what I want to do! How much did it set you back? What muffler is it? How's it sound?
Aaron Cox
wow! i'd like to know the cost. i gots me an exhaust project too.
skline
It wasnt cheap, the muffler is for a Camaro/Trans Am and the total was $350.00. He modified the rear panel by removing a lip that I knew was going to need to come out, I just didnt do it till I knew for sure. The guy did a very nice job and came to me highly recommended by several car guys.
bondo
Do you know what year camaro/trans am? The firebird that my Lt1 came out of (1993) had a 1 in 2 out muffler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.