Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'nother transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgomes
I just got my transmission back from being thoroughly rebuilt. Looks great! Thanks HPH!

One thing I noticed however is there seems to be a heck of a lot of endplay on one of the output flanges. The one on the passenger side (with the differential access plate) has no measurable endplay. The one on the driver's side moves in and out an amazing 0.025" or so. I measured this with a caliper so the number is not too good. It was so much that I just wanted to get a rough number.

Is this ok? To answer your first question, yes I checked the torque on the expansion bolt and it seems fine and had no effect on the endplay.

I would wait until Monday to call HPH but this weekend it likely the only time I'm going to get to install this thing before the car show next saturday.

Can anyone help? Red Beard?
Red-Beard
That is not normal. Put a screw driver into one of the CV bolt holes to hold the flange in place and re-check the bolt for being torqued.
sgomes
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just went a re-checked the torque again. This time I took the bolt all the way out and re-clocked the flange to a different spot. had to do it quickly because the tranny is full of fluid. Anyway, long story short it's no different. I guess it has to go back to HPH sad.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

They replaced all six bearings so it can't be that. I hope it's just a missing shim or washer or something. barf.gif
Red-Beard
There aren't any shims or washers there. Well there is a washer under the bolt.

Hmmm. Something wrong with the diff? A month ago I could go look at a million of them...What value did you torque the bolt to? idea.gif
sgomes
I don't know what they torqued it to but I did 30 ft-lbs.
KenH
WELL I JUST CHECKED MY SPARE AND IT HAS ABOUT THAT MUCH END PLAY ON BOTH SIDES. Humm left Caps on.

I believe the one I put in the car has end play.

I also looked at a a spare diff. and my feeling is the end play is normal and I would be suprised if it did not have any. There is no Spec in the Porsche books about this.

Ken
ChrisFoley
I think the endplay is normal. My race box was freshly rebuilt by Musante Motorsports and has that much play.
Go ahead and install it.
sgomes
Thanks for checking you two. That gives me more confidence. So can I get that in writing Chris? laugh.gif What concerns me is that the two sides are different. The passenger side has absolutely no end play but the driver side feels loose! It takes no effort to rattle it back and forth.
bondo
Hmm, I just checked the three trannies I haven't disassembled yet.. They all had play on both sides.. looks like the concern is not why one side has play, but why the other side doesn't. If you tap it with a hammer can you get it to move back and forth at all? maybe it's just stiffer.
sgomes
laugh.gif The more I look at this thing the more I'm thinking like you! I talked to HPH today and they agreed with you guys that the endplay isn't all that exciting. I'm now becoming concerned as to why the other side is tight! I haven't started to smash.gif it and I don't intend to. I have pulled and pushed on it pretty hard and I think it might have about 0.005" of endplay but I don't think I can measure that well. I'm just about at the point of slapping it in there and moving on.
bondo
I would think it would be fine as long as it wasn't tight. As long as everything turns smoothly and easily, I say put it in and drive. If anything does go wrong you'll hear it long before the rest of us with loud engines would smile.gif
sgomes
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 4 2004, 04:42 PM)
If anything does go wrong you'll hear it long before the rest of us with loud engines would smile.gif

chairfall.gif Yeah I'm once burned twice shy though. Last time I drove this car the tranny made such an awful noise I had to pull over and flatbed it back to the garage. Several kilo-bucks later here I am!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.