Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Flare options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I like the idea of flaring the rear fender openings, only.

I like the fronts the way they are. We all know that nearly all tame tire/wheel combos will fit.
I like the narrow front and wide rear look.
205's front/225's rear would be nice. wub.gif

I saw a car ( Gwen's? ) that hade SC steel flares. I'd do that.
I'm not a real fan of the GT flares. It's something with the flat surface that drops in front of the rear wheel. Mods?

I heard someone talking about using donor fenders from the front and using them on the rears to create a slightly different opening. I'd like to see that again, too.

Thanks again.

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 3 2004, 10:44 AM)
SC steel flares.

SC flares usually suck because if you get wheels to fill out the flare you end up with *no* suspension travel or 15 deg. of negative camber just to clear the lip ...

the reason why GT flares look like a box:
so you can fit the tire in there !

if you don't like the GT flares, get rich bontempi's rear quarter panels ...
cool.gif Andy
dlo914
er.....
Gary
Here's mine:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=342

Kinda partial to the SC flares too. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Looking at 225's on 8" 16 inch. Can't comment yet on the fit, as she's still at Aircooled Racing.
nebreitling
Trekkor, what in the hell are you doing to your car now?! laugh.gif

you need two 914's just to keep up with the upgrades...

beer.gif
J P Stein
Here's a couple pics of the ulfs flares....they're kidnda ugly too....above & beyond the paint. First to show the stance of the car.
J P Stein
Now the actual shape of the rear fender/flare. To get the car down, you gotta have some "bulge" towards the top of the fender....which is why the GT flares are the shape they are.

My hammered out jobbies aren't wide enuff for really serious rubber, but SC flares don't even give you this much.....unless you move them up a couple-3 inches.

I'm gonna have to do the "porta-power flare" to get canlilever slicks under there.
Properly done porta-power flares look very similar to HPH rears.
The down side is they pull a big gap in the door opening.
John Kelly
Here a couple of pictures of my rear flare. One has a flow strip to show the actual shape a little better.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
and without the flow strip..
Dr Evil
Here are mine.
Dr Evil
bigger wheels to come.
nynone4
Great Topic! Mine's going to the bodyshop tomorrow to have the car repainted, and subtle rear flares done to squeeze in some 8" Fuchs and 225 width rubber.

John - I'm showing my body guy pics of your work for inspiration. Hope that's allright!
Trekkor
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 3 2004, 02:19 PM)
you need two 914's just to keep up with the upgrades...

I know! idea.gif Hmmmm....

Thanks for the flare shots. I likey.

KT
bryanthompson
I tried, just for kicks, to photoshop some 944 flares on a 14. It didn't turn out too good <_<
John Kelly
QUOTE(nynone4 @ Oct 3 2004, 03:23 PM)
Great Topic! Mine's going to the bodyshop tomorrow to have the car repainted, and subtle rear flares done to squeeze in some 8" Fuchs and 225 width rubber.

John - I'm showing my body guy pics of your work for inspiration. Hope that's allright!

No problem.....the video will be done shortly and might be of help if it is done in time for your body guy. Or have him contact me for ideas. I likes to share!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
J P Stein
It's a shame that Eric Fry doesn't post some pics of his hella quick 914 AXer here. He's running 8 X 15 Fuch all around with some kinda Hoosier beanies. He's done the porta-power flares, IIRC. Someone up North needs to rattle his cage to get some gud pics on here.
GTeener
wub.gif
Mountain914
I, too love the rear flares without a front flare.
I've got 205/40 17's up front, and 275/40 17's in the rear. A wonderful package.
joea9146
This is not my car but gives you another option of what you can do to open the fenders. When I spohe to the owner he said when was the last time you saw a car with Square Wheels.
skline
Here is a pic of the back of a Chalon, I would say these are like the SC flares a little. Considering it uses a front and rear bumper from the 911 its got to be pretty close.
joea9146
pic2
joea9146
pic3
skline
Here is a few other options if you are looking to modify your car.
skline
Another
joea9146
pic4
skline
One more
Howard
Subtle...in case you want to run 285's biggrin.gif
thomasotten
I like these. The subtle flares of the 914/8.
Brett W
Does anyone have pictures of Bontempi's car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.