Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
glens67
Do I use 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8" Butyl

What is the thickness of the 2 rubber Support strips?

The Butyl tape that I removed was compressed To 3/16" and squished to just over 5/16", which leads me to thinking that it was 1/4".
Eric Shea's write up indicates a NAPA part # 4169 which is 3/8" wide.
Other how-tos indicated 3 sizes above.
Thanks
Glen
beer3.gif
Valy
QUOTE(glens67 @ Apr 13 2012, 12:19 PM) *

Do I use 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8" Butyl

What is the thickness of the 2 rubber Support strips?

The Butyl tape that I removed was compressed To 3/16" and squished to just over 5/16", which leads me to thinking that it was 1/4".
Eric Shea's write up indicates a NAPA part # 4169 which is 3/8" wide.
Other how-tos indicated 3 sizes above.
Thanks
Glen
beer3.gif

I used 3M 5/16 butyl tape. I remember the book (don't remember which one) was talking about 8mm that is about 5/16.
Regarding the rubber supports, they are there just to locate the window in the frame and absorb vibrations. The glass should not contact the lower metal lip of the frame or it will brake from vibrations.
I used the rubber blocks that came with the butyl tape. They were about 1/8-2/8. Just make sure the window is in place and doesn't touch the lower frame.
McMark
Yup, factory manual specs 8mm.
Black914_4
I tried to do mine last week. Used 3/8 from local parts store. I tried it twice and neither time worked very well for me. There was spots that didn't stick very well.
Part of the problem might have been when I stuck the tape to the metal I pressed too hard, so when I stuck the glass to the tape there was gaps.

When you stick the tape to the metal frame don't push on it very hard. Let the glass push the tape into the metal. Might save you some trouble.
mrbubblehead
i agree with valy and mark 5/16. i used 3m window weld from local auto paint supply shop...
underthetire
I used 5/16 as well.
glens67
THANKS!!!
5/16" on order
rfuerst911sc
Another option is to install it with urethane adhesive like all modern cars are done. Had a pro install my windshield and rear window this way. Unless they break I'll never have to worry about leaks.
bperry
Here is a tech article:
Rear Window Fix/Install

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.