Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPGREER
Hello, this is my first post on this board. I just purchased a 73 silver 2.0 a couple of months back and have been working diligently to get her back on the road. Good news is we're there. She's running really well, I'm just trying to iron out some final details. I have to say, the months of frustrating work were worth it. I spent some time on the PP board, but after a week of lurking around here, thought I would jump in. I just met Brad last week at HPH and learned about this board. Anyhow, of course I'm looking for some advice...

First of all... I just realized I'm missing the wooden board that goes behind the pedal assembly. I rebuilt the assembly a couple of weeks ago, but with no pics, I didnt' realize anything was missing. I've looked at some old posts, and it sounds like it's a pretty essential piece. Does anyone know where I can find one? Also, I have to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to fully disengage it. Even then it sometimes grinds going into first or reverse. Does this sound like I need to adjust the cable? Do I need the wood piece first? Any tips would be great.

BTW, I have to install a new rear window. I am very afraid of doing glass work. I've read tech articles and old threads on the subj, but any insights would still be great.

Background on the car... as I said, its a 73 silver 2.0 with about 62000 orig miles. FI system, and all other stock options still intact. I bought it from the original owner who garaged it in 1987. Since I purchased it, I've replaced all of the original fuel lines, most ignition components, vacuum hoses, rebuilt pedal assembly, replaced throttle cable, adjusted valves, rebuilt calipers, replaced ms, installed new brake lines, a dry battery, and lots of other little stuff.
john rogers
Well as you guessed you need the pedal board as it has a stop so you do not over push the clutch pedal. If you have to push the pedal to the floor to get the clutch to release, then it needs some adjustment at the release fork. I like to set mine so it releases about in the middle to lower 1/3 of the pedal travel to the stop on the board. Good luck
McMark
Welcome! To bring the engagement point of the clutch closer to the "top" of the pedal tighten the nut at the throwout arm on the tranny. You'll need to hold the cable with pliers/vicegrips and use an 11 mm wrench to tighten the nut. Make sure there are two nuts. Always. Nylock or not. Two nuts.

The rear window is pretty easy. Make sure you clean everything really really well (acetone/thinner) and don't touch the sealing areas with you fingers after that. Finger oils will compromise the seal. Apply the butyl tape to the chassis and then lightly press the window into place. Don't press in the center of the window and go around the edges pressing firmly to seat it. DONE!
SirAndy
QUOTE(BPGREER @ Oct 4 2004, 09:26 PM)
I just realized I'm missing the wooden board that goes behind the pedal assembly.

welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif

first, don't drive it without the board! you'll need it to correctly adjust the pedal stops, otherwise you *WILL* brake your cables!

as for the clutch, it could be as simple as adjusting it at the back, to get the dis-engage point up on the pedal, tighten the 11mm nut on the rear adjuster (make sure you have a 2nd 11mm as a double nut!).
where in the pedal travel does the clutch engage when you let it out?
is that also close to the floor?

if that doesn't help, i'm afraid you might have broken your clutch-tube lose when you used the clutch without the stop (which is on the wooden board).
in which case you need to have it welded back on before you can get the clutch adjusted right.

wink.gif Andy
BPGREER
Do you know where I can get a new board? I will stop driving it for now, and see if the adjustment works. Thanks!!
McMark
HPH has a board, I'm sure. You can post a WTB in the classifieds as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BPGREER @ Oct 4 2004, 10:19 PM)
Do you know where I can get a new board? I will stop driving it for now, and see if the adjustment works. Thanks!!

yupp agree.gif rich and brad at HPH have probably 100+ of them boards on the shelf ...

cool.gif Andy
groot
I've got a board I don't need. I'm using overhung pedals now.

A couple bucks and shipping and it's yours.
ruddyboys
No to steal this thread, but does anyone have a pic of the clips that hold the board in place. My car seems to have lost them and would like to fab some new ones.
BPGREER
I picked up a board down at hph a couple of hours ago. If I get a chance, I'll take a pic and post it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.