Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quickshutter
Ok, I need some help on this;

I've been noticing a buildup of whit powder below and around the clutch pedal of my 73' 914/4 (converted to EV by previous owner). The powder appears to originate from a damaged area (actually a hole) between the foot well and where the gas tank once was. I'm guessing (and hoping I'm wrong) that this is some kind of asbestos containing material for sound deadening/fire protection, given its proximity to the gas tank.

The powder is white and chalky in consistency, which doesn't ease my suspicions at all. I've searched around and haven't found anyone with a similar issue.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be? The car is pretty far from stock, so it could be some kind of repair that was done at some point and is now falling apart.

Thanks for the help,

Mark
CrashDown
Man that almost looks like bondo dust.....
VaccaRabite
Galvanic corrosion is my guess, given your car is an EV, and its common for EV batteries to go where the gas tank used to be.

Where are the batteries kept in your 914? I bet you have a terminal with tons of this crap on it near the main battery bank.

Zach
NORD
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 15 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Galvanic corrosion is my guess, given your car is an EV, and its common for EV batteries to go where the gas tank used to be.

Where are the batteries kept in your 914? I bet you have a terminal with tons of this crap on it near the main battery bank.

Zach

I agree. It looks like battery terminal crud that my Pickup gets on the terminals

Through some in the sandbox and let the screwballs sniff it, then maybe we will

know. lol-2.gif
quickshutter
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 15 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Zach

That's a good guess too, but not the winner. The batteries are all fine, and contained in pretty thick boxes.

-Mark
CrashDown
Okay I'm just gonna ask..... Was your car moonlighting as a Coke mule in columbia??
Strudelwagon
I'm guessing your pet chipmunk keeps his powdered donuts by the fuse panel! lol-2.gif brain.gif
quickshutter
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM) *

That one seems very likely to me. I know the previous owner used bondo in a few places, and patching a hole in the foot well seems like a distinct possibly
quickshutter
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 15 2012, 09:10 PM) *

Okay I'm just gonna ask..... Was your car moonlighting as a Coke mule in columbia??

Ok, tha's got to be it. Maybe that's why I have so much fun driving it around... laugh.gif
CrashDown
QUOTE(quickshutter @ Apr 15 2012, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 15 2012, 08:18 PM) *

That one seems very likely to me. I know the previous owner used bondo in a few places, and patching a hole in the foot well seems like a distinct possibly

And sadly, the only real way to tell if it is, is to smell it. Bondo retains it's polyester smell looooooong after its been mixed and sanded. Buit if it's comoning from a hole which is near an area that was repaired, and bondo was used, I'd say it's a damn good bet that's what it is.
SirAndy
QUOTE(quickshutter @ Apr 15 2012, 07:59 PM) *
What the heck is this?, White powder in driver footwell

Did your car come from Columbia?
idea.gif
euro911
Did the car ever belong to John DeLorean? confused24.gif
CrashDown
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 15 2012, 11:53 PM) *

Did the car ever belong to John DeLorean? confused24.gif

I see what ya did there...
wingnut86
Not enough hardener in the coca to solidify your 914 made completely out of Jaun Valdez's premium coffee powder

biggrin.gif

Definately looks like a quick mix job on the body putty...
OU8AVW
It could be Corrosion, check any aluminum parts in that vicinity (mater cylinder) and makes sure that they are not getting fried. Galvanic corrosion occurs on all metals when there is an errant ground. Aluminum oxide looks like that and is caused by dissimilar metals corroding the aluminum. Steel and brass are more noble than aluminum and can cause the aluminum to decay. This happens in salt water environments and when current is introduced, like your electric car.
Front end components, master cylinders, any aluminum parts are suspect. Even the inboard side of your wheels.
TheCabinetmaker
Fire extinguisher residue?
Eric_Shea
Through some in the sandbox and let the screwballs sniff it, then maybe we will

Pretty sure he's referring to Scatty_underscore_b.

mater cylinder

"Mater" cylinder? There's a joke in there... come'on Mke, you can do it!

Ant powder.
underthetire
Was the car soda blasted?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Apr 16 2012, 09:28 AM) *

It could be Corrosion, check any aluminum parts in that vicinity (mater cylinder) and makes sure that they are not getting fried. Galvanic corrosion occurs on all metals when there is an errant ground. Aluminum oxide looks like that and is caused by dissimilar metals corroding the aluminum. Steel and brass are more noble than aluminum and can cause the aluminum to decay. This happens in salt water environments and when current is introduced, like your electric car.
Front end components, master cylinders, any aluminum parts are suspect. Even the inboard side of your wheels.

agree.gif

I was going to post about checking the master cylinder.

It could be bondo dust, but I really think this looks like a galvanic reaction getting blown in through that hole.

Zach
LotusJoe
Is that a hole in the peddle plate? Is the peddle plate aluminum? confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

euro911
Could a rust preventative solution be the cause (not neutralized prior to painting?)

Whatever it is, I'd keep an eye on it and wouldn't wait too long to fix it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.