Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Make your own brake lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
Have you made your own steel brake lines? I broke one yesterday working on the hell-hole (the long one for the passenger rear). I did some research and it looks fairly straightforward, just need to buy the proper tools and practice.

But before I do, or PM bdstone914 for spare parts, I thought I'd query the local brain trust.

Thanks,
Nate
McMark
Yeah, you can make your own. I've done it a few times. The cheapie tools are a PITA, but do work. This style.

I want to pick up one of these sometime soon. Pro flaring tool
VaccaRabite
I made many of the lines on my car using the enameled green lines from NAPA. It's not hard at all.

Zach
ape914
Get a bender and flare tool. make sure the flare is exactly the same type you're replaceng, there are some variation in flare styles.
Easy process for a skilled mechanical type of person.

Hint. Practice some flares and bends on some spare tubing (buy some extra for this) always good even for experienced folks to brush up if it has been a while.

Matt Romanowski
Summit Racing has the one Mark linked to for $50 less.

But they are all amatuer hour compared to this http://www.amazon.com/MasterCool-Universal...l/dp/B00063YR2I
jmill
I've replaced all the brake lines on several cars and have the snap-on single and double flare kit. I can't do the bubble flare with my kit.

Bubble flare is on the right.

Rav914
Sweet! Thanks for the inputs. Looking forward to the process.
rick 918-S
Done it! assimilate.gif
jmill
On a side note I bought the brake lines from NAPA in the longest lengths I could. Usually the fittings are different. It doesn't matter as long as the line size is correct. Cut of the ends slide your fitting on (they have those too) and then flare and bend it.
Cap'n Krusty
Stores such as NAPA, Carquest, and others, sell brake lines with the correct fittings. Why would you buy the wrong ones, cut them up, and change the ends? I'm having a hard time understanding the thinking behind that one.

The Cap'n
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2012, 05:57 AM) *

Stores such as NAPA, Carquest, and others, sell brake lines with the correct fittings. Why would you buy the wrong ones, cut them up, and change the ends? I'm having a hard time understanding the thinking behind that one.

The Cap'n

Before you criticize, think it through..... biggrin.gif .....

Napa sells pre-made lines in specific lengths, typically in 1 foot increments at our store. Sometimes they are just right and other times there is no close match. The difference in price between their longest line and shortest line is next to nothing. You buy the longest line, leave one end alone, bend it to the shape you want and then cut off the excess and flare it. The left over can be used for a shorter length by using the ends off your old lines. You get two perfect new lines for the price of one. Us cheap bastards understand these things......I did my entire car this exact way including the hydraulic clutch and it saved quite a bit.
jmill
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2012, 08:57 AM) *

The Cap'n

You point is a valid one. If they have them with the diameter, length and fitting type you desire your all set.

Unfortunately, the availability of off the shelf parts is dependant on your location. Racine, WI lacks the large number of tuners and hot rodders to support a decent inventory at most auto supply stores. When I built my 53 Chevy, which I later sold to Pepsi, the longest length available of the shelf in the diameter I required had the wrong size fittings. To avoid special ordering parts or adding additional fittings and potential leaks I chose to buy the long lengths and replace the fittings. Fittings are easily changed, adding length and changing line diameter not so easy (which was my point.)

worn
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2012, 05:57 AM) *

The Cap'n

In my case the store had only sizes that were either too long or too short. I hadn't learned to make the flares so I bought too long (a matter of inches) and made some bends to take up the excess. If I did it again, I would cut to proper length and make the flares myself.
Valy
Buy something like this. Just make sure they have the right connector size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-brake-lines-...1#ht_5844wt_864
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-piece-brake-lin...5#ht_5396wt_864
sixnotfour
rdauenhauer probably has ten of them. He is in mill creek
uncle smokey
I just did this for my truck. AutoZone had a roll of line, I think 25 feet, for about 25 bucks. All in with the fittings it was maybe 40 bucks.
strawman
I'm a big proponent of Cunifer lines and fittings from FedHill Cunifer brake line. The stuff is virtually impossible to kink, and it won't rust. I also bought the fittings from FedHill, and used a standard Crafstman double-flare system that I bought for ~$50; with that flaring tool, you perform the first flare and then don't perform the second/double flare. Thanks to McMark for that tip...

See post #177 of Suby-Engined Rustoration for details.

Now I just gotta close on my new house (in June!) here in SLO, get my project out of storage, and get it running!

Geoff
pilothyer
Try this link ........ full set fittings and all.........pre cut and finished ends.
http://austinhealeywood.com/brakelines.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.