Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slight Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dustin
Hey,

So, I'm a total noob.

About a year and a half ago I took my car apart. I replaced my first gear synchro. And rebuilt my entire engine.

Today I started the car for the first time. It started easily and idles. I think I got the timing pretty close. However, when I put the car in first gear and ease off the clutch it wants to roll backwards.

What did I screw up? Is my engine turning the wrong way or did I flip something around in my transmission?
pt_700
oh man! i feel for 'ya dustin.

is it going backwards in only 1st gear? what about the other 4? what happens in reverse?

have to ask the obvious... 1st is all the way towards the driver and down, correct (2nd in a "normal" car)?
Dustin
Is my diff flipped??
Dustin
Yeah, I know where first is... I'm going to try it in second.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dustin @ Apr 17 2012, 04:10 PM) *
So, I'm a total noob.

In that case, you do know that 1st is to the left and towards you, correct?

Left and forward is reverse ...
biggrin.gif

PS: Dang, i got beat to it!
Dustin
Yes, Backwards in 2nd too.
Jake Raby
You installed the diff on the wrong die of the gearbox.. It is "flipped".
Dustin
So, I have to flip the diff front to back or side to side?
Dustin
Nevermind, I'm starting to remember how this thing goes together...

I did this part over a year ago.
ejm
Why did you pull the diff to do a 1st gear sychro? confused24.gif
Dustin
I was curious. I knew nothing about cars when I started this. I bought this car just so I could take it apart. I replaced all the oil seals too. I was going to do other synchros but I got intimidated by the gear cluster and decided to just put it back together.

At some point I'll do the rest. I want to drive it though. sad.gif Obviously this was wise of me.
pete-stevers
ITs to bad you didnt go to Docs "tranny" convention....they even let you wear blond wigs...and rebuild trannies
76-914
It's an easy flip.
pt_700
how about a collective hazzah for the noob who takes apart a 901 and rebuilds his engine to learn about cars?

did you have any assistance or guidance? why the 914?

not sure if i'd have the guts to do the same and i've owned and driven mine for almost 20 years.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:05 AM) *

It's an easy flip.

Sure: Drain the tranny, remove the nose cover and the shift console or mechanism, remove the gear cluster, remove the side cover, pull the diff, flip and reinstall the diff and then the cover, measure and replace the intermediate plate gasket/shims, install the cluster and the nose cover (with a new gasket) and shift components, fill with oil, and you're done. Not exactly easy, is it?

The Cap'n
dlee1967
Dustin, although you have a slight hickup in your project, congratulations on diving in to it with abandon. The diff flip is a minor issue and you will get that corrected quickly.

My first car was a Bugeye and I rebuilt it at age 14 with a very sketchy set of tools in my parents carport. Thank goodness there was an MG Midget workshop manual at the public libruary. If we had the internet in 1980 I would have been much more efficient at the project.

Welcome to the wonderful of the 914. There was another member in the last week that put his calipers on the front of the car with the bleeders down and wondered why he couldn't get any pedal pressure.............. wacko.gif

David Lee
Dustin
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:23 AM) *

did you have any assistance or guidance? why the 914?

I used a local machine shop to check out my engine components and rebuild my heads. That guy answered a bunch of questions that came up along the way. Other then that just the internet.

914, love it first sight. I saw my first one when I was about 8, around 1982. I bought this one in 2005. So I have had some time to do my research.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.