Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chris's 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cvdmolen
As I bought my dream car, the 914, I want to share some project details. For a long time I was looking for a 914, this little one was always standing on op of my monitor at work:

IPB Image

I passed some 914's but due to no guts / no money -> but a few weeks ago I couldn't resist this one:

Click to view attachment

As the car was not starting / needed some work, my boss (Kieft from Kieft en Klok, thanks Gert) helped me to get it to base:

Click to view attachment

A week later I swapped the headlight relais for the fuel pomp relais, overhauled the fuel pump, and she was starting. I drove a round (actually my first meters in a 914 smile.gif, knowing that the next job was get rid of the standard type 4 oil leakage.

Click to view attachment

I'm not going for the full resto, except the engine and brakes will need a lot of my TLC, so more photo's will follow.

rick 918-S
welcome.png Nice wheels! must be some VW fitment. I have never seen them before. idea.gif
Strudelwagon
welcome.png
Nice to see a real Euro versions of the 914. I'm trying to create one from a USA model in Canada. I can't wait to see some detailed pictures of the interior.
I love Holland, it has the 3B's -Beer, Bikes and Blondes. I have Family in Henglo!

Nice 914 by the way! Just noticed it's a US version.....or did someone just add the front markers "warts"

Steve
wingnut86
Get a hold of Hontec on your side of the big pond, he is a good resource and not bad fab skills at his shop as well.

Wheels look Italian possibly.

Wingnut86
Valy
The tailpipe is on the wrong side. What muffler is that?
billh1963
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 21 2012, 01:35 AM) *

The tailpipe is on the wrong side. What muffler is that?

Good catch.... You can see it attached to the engine. Some VW unit?
cvdmolen
It has been a while, but I'm back on track. Got the engine cooling parts powder coated,
Click to view attachment

all the bolts has been galvanized,
Click to view attachment

the heat exchangers are sandblasted and sprayed again,
Click to view attachment

and past weekend I did some engine rebuilding,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Still waiting for some parts (clutch bearing, muffler, and some gaskets), but soon the engine will be mounted in the car again smile.gif

@billh1963: indeed it is a muffler of a regular T4 VW engine
@ Strudelwagon: It's an Italian car, and they have the 'different' markers as well, just like the US

Lennies914
popcorn[1].gif

Looking good.

Keep the pictures coming!
cvdmolen
So 2 days of work and we have some new pics. First tested the injectors and mounted them after testing (they didn't leak and sprayed beautifull:):
IPB Image
Get rid of some powder coat:
IPB Image
And mounted the gearbox with new bearing and mounted the heat exchangers:
IPB Image

Next week some wiring and mount everything back in place!!!
mikelsr
Looking nice.
euro911
Looks great. Quick turnaround too thumb3d.gif
JawjaPorsche
Looking good! What kind of fuel lines are those!
beerchug.gif
cvdmolen
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 20 2012, 07:16 PM) *

Looking good! What kind of fuel lines are those!
beerchug.gif

Simply single rubber ones with a steel harness, I've used them alot on the VW busses with the D-Jetronic in them. No brand attached to them.
cvdmolen
Engine and gearbox ready to be mounted back in the car:
Click to view attachment
And as a true dutchmen, off course orange HT leads:
Click to view attachment

Next weekend I'll try to put the engine and gearbox, back in the place they belong smile.gif
seanery
Looking great!

There's a great 914, well Porsche guy outside of Rotterdam, named Jeroen Berloth, do you know him? He's a great resource.
cvdmolen
QUOTE(seanery @ May 31 2012, 03:21 AM) *

Looking great!

There's a great 914, well Porsche guy outside of Rotterdam, named Jeroen Berloth, do you know him? He's a great resource.

Nope I don't know him (yet).
cvdmolen
So a few weeks later:
Click to view attachment
Engine back in the car. Easy job, I expected it to be more difficult, but it was lower the car and an hour later done. And that for a 914 noob smile.gif

After the easy part, the fuses where blowing every time I hit the key, some big malfunction in the FI harness, and a short cut in the ignition didn't help either I think I was yellowsleep[1].gif while rebuilding the ignition, and connecting the harness.....
Luckily I found a spare FI harness and ecu (1 year later model I think, with a knob on the ecu?), only problem was that the matching throttle house did not work with the position of the throttle cable (left new one, right old one).
Click to view attachment

After a bit of grinding and welding, she works excellent now, and past sunday I turned the key for the first start smile.gif It worked!!! No more oil leakage and a clean engine!
Click to view attachment

Now time for some adjustments, new clutch cable and renovate the brakes. To be continued.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Apr 20 2012, 05:29 PM) *

welcome.png
Nice to see a real Euro versions of the 914. I'm trying to create one from a USA model in Canada. I can't wait to see some detailed pictures of the interior.
I love Holland, it has the 3B's -Beer, Bikes and Blondes. I have Family in Henglo!

Nice 914 by the way! Just noticed it's a US version.....or did someone just add the front markers "warts"

Steve

Weird it has the euro badge, tail lights, no lid letters, but has the warts, like you said. Also wierd it is adriatic blue ? but has black bumpers.
cvdmolen
Today = the day, I finaly received the MOT /TUV / APK (road legal) papers. Pics will follow! smilie_pokal.gif

Another 914 hit the road after 10 years off absence
Ferg
aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
Is that a South Texas Maple leaf on the wall (3rd pic, post 9)? Nice rescue, nice work, good looking car. thumb3d.gif
StratPlayer
Well done, looking good, congrats first.gif
cvdmolen
@76-914 -> As the garage where I work have so many signs, I really can't tell you, sorry.

Here some pics of the revised rear brakes, which I had to buy, as I didn't want to mess with the brakes:
Click to view attachment

The front brakes are revised by myself, cleaned them and put a new set of rubber gaskets in the calipers:
Click to view attachment

And a quick interior shot:
Click to view attachment

Yesterday I drove here home smile.gif All tech driving parts (brakes engine gearbox) are finished, now I can focus on the non-tech parts. Some rusty spots need to be removed, fresh air vent is broken (I supose it is not made as a smoke machine, but thats the only thing it does right now.....)

So the work and 914 pleasure will continue driving.gif
nathansnathan
I think that was originally an italian 914? - oh yeah I see you said that biggrin.gif - They had the warts, I think, but they had a fluted refraction pattern, and I think would have had the clear front signals.

That muffler looks like a bus muffler, probably a Walker from Czech. I've heard they flow better than the middle exit 914 ones, but may have trouble with lining up the tailpipe to a valance. I notice that the thermostat cable is adjusted wrong? ...the engine is supposed to be hot for that position. - actually, edit, the wire looks like it's on the wrong side, like it is crossing under the pivot bar thing. -supposed to go straight up, the pivot connection you have to push down opposite the shroud, and tighten it. Cold, it is held down under contraction of the thermostat accordian. Hope that makes sense?
IPB Image

Looks awesome. smoke.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.