Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found my oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drdave427
I pulled off the drivers side valve cover expecting to find a bad gasket. In an earlier post - "oil where it shouldn't be" - I posted some pics of an above the engine seal line oil leak that occurred after some spirited driving an a HUGE sweeping right turn. I got suggestions that I probably had blown a valve cover gasket - well that was not the problem but it did set up a new question. What is the little tube that goes thru the head into the valve cover ?? I had not seen this tube topside as it is really tight against the intake manifold - and I had the carbs off when I first bought the car. Anyway this tube had nothing connected to it so I am sure its where the oil came from - it is right in the middle of where the oil showed on the tin. Is there 2 crankcase vents on the drivers side ??
My vent tube on that side is connected a little above this newly found opening.
drdave427
QUOTE(drdave427 @ Apr 20 2012, 07:33 PM) *

I pulled off the drivers side valve cover expecting to find a bad gasket. In an earlier post - "oil where it shouldn't be" - I posted some pics of an above the engine seal line oil leak that occurred after some spirited driving an a HUGE sweeping right turn. I got suggestions that I probably had blown a valve cover gasket - well that was not the problem but it did set up a new question. What is the little tube that goes thru the head into the valve cover ?? I had not seen this tube topside as it is really tight against the intake manifold - and I had the carbs off when I first bought the car. Anyway this tube had nothing connected to it so I am sure its where the oil came from - it is right in the middle of where the oil showed on the tin. Is there 2 crankcase vents on the drivers side ??
My vent tube on that side is connected a little above this newly found opening.

the new open tube is just below the metal line /rubber coupler I have that is going to what I thought was the crankcase vent. The tube isn't visible in the shot -- it is right against the intake manifold. This picture I took right after the oil leak happened.
Dave_Darling
That is the vent tube that we've been talking about.

It is part of the positive crankcase ventilation system. In a stock car, that would get joined together at the "flashback valve" (a screen-style spark arrestor) and connected to the air cleaner.

--DD
drdave427
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 20 2012, 07:43 PM) *

That is the vent tube that we've been talking about.

It is part of the positive crankcase ventilation system. In a stock car, that would get joined together at the "flashback valve" (a screen-style spark arrestor) and connected to the air cleaner.

--DD

Then what do I have the hose connected to above it ??
Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Sure looks like your vent line is connected to the port in the shroud for the evap hose.

The Cap'n
drdave427
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 20 2012, 08:17 PM) *

Sure looks like your vent line is connected to the port in the shroud for the evap hose.

The Cap'n

Can I leave it open then ?? If so -- I'll move my vent to the lower one and leave that port open --
Thanks
brant
yes you can do that
or you can cap the tin work with a plug to stop the small air leak
its not too important either way

but you need to put a hose on the head vent
the head vent is blowing oil out with positive crank case pressure

drdave427
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 20 2012, 10:29 PM) *

yes you can do that
or you can cap the tin work with a plug to stop the small air leak
its not too important either way

but you need to put a hose on the head vent
the head vent is blowing oil out with positive crank case pressure

Fixed !! Thanks everyone -- I can't believe I was pumping air into the engine. That's not good unless you are turboed-- it was connected that way when I got the car. Actually both sides were connected together and the oil fill breather tube was just laying free. I T'd the 2lines and ran them to the air cleaner and installed a little filter at the oil fill and thought I was doing good ! It is all sorted out now and the valves are adjusted -- they were all a little tight ...
euro911
Glad to hear you found and fixed the problem thumb3d.gif

Now you just have to get the oil smell out of the engine compartment if you plan to use the heater sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.