Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my fusebox wired up wrong?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I was driving in my car in the rain yesterday, so had the headlights, wipers, front fan, rear fan and driving lights on.

A fuse blew and I had nothing, no headlights or driving lights, no wipers and no fan.

I then checked the fuse panel, expecting to find numerous fuses out, but only the one had blown, the 15amp job for the Headlamp motors. Replace that and everything fires back into live, but why does this one fuse control so many items?

Once reinstalled if I pull fuse 5 for the wipers, they stop working, but also if I pull fuse 1 wacko.gif

I have a J West fuse panel like so..

IPB Image

I'm confused..
Mike Bellis
The "Y" splitters can touch the metal fuse panel frame when bolted in place. Mine were very tight after the Engman/JWest upgrade. I had to loosen the factory wrap on the harness to allow for extra wire movement above the panel. Shrink tubing on the bare brass bits will help also.

NOTE: The constant power to the fuse panel and ignition switch is UN-FUSED at the battery. If you short the large red wires to ground/earth, the wire will melt everything from the battery to the short. It may cause a fire. Add 4 inline fuses at the battery 20 amps will due for each.

Now that you have modified the electrical system with the new fuse panel, this is an important issue for you. 40 years ago when the 914 rolled off the assembly line, the unfused wires were not a big deal. 40 years later, old insulation, previous owners, radio installs, hacked wiring, etc... Your electrical system is at risk.
76-914
PM Tom. He might have some left over, He just did a second group buy on these.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=141317
Rod
Thankyou both for your posts.

I will have a look at the jwest fuse panel and get my shrinkwrap out to be sure it's nowhere near shorting....

I have known about the hot wires for a while, but have so far done nothing about it.. Toms kit looks great, but I have a four way fuse box in the garage, so I will make certain that I fuse those four wires this weekend.

Cheers smile.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(Rod @ Apr 21 2012, 12:30 PM) *

Thankyou both for your posts.

I will have a look at the jwest fuse panel and get my shrinkwrap out to be sure it's nowhere near shorting....

I have known about the hot wires for a while, but have so far done nothing about it.. Toms kit looks great, but I have a four way fuse box in the garage, so I will make certain that I fuse those four wires this weekend.

Cheers smile.gif

It looks like electrical stuff must be a light blue 914 issue this week. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.