Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Start - Easy Start After Initial Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Would this be a case of flooding? The cold start injector remaining open or just the opposite?
It will sputter & try to start but I need to hit the gas or pump it while turning the key. Once it actually starts it's fine.

Any ideas? I just changed the fuel filter and this happened. <_<
2.0 D-Jet
......b
Joe Bob
On FI...there should be no pumping of the pedal needed....souinds like the cold start injector. Have you tried disconnecting it?
boxstr
Bruce I saw one on craigslist, he had the same problem. You might check with him. I think he is close to you.LOL.
CCLINZOOMZOOM
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 8 2004, 09:31 AM)
Bruce I saw one on craigslist, he had the same problem. You might check with him. I think he is close to you.LOL.
CCLINZOOMZOOM

Thanks Craig, I saw that one too. Anyone we know rolleyes.gif

I did that in a time of pissed off-ness smash.gif . I've overcome it

I think laugh.gif

Thanks Mike. I haven't pulled the plug on the coldstart. I'll do that and pinch off the gas line & see if that helps.

It used to start nice w/o touching the gas

....b
bob91403
The way I've heard it, if it's FI, you turn the ignition on, you put your foot to the floor, you let off half way, then start it. If it doesn't start, you do nothing, and try to start it again. It should adjust for start by itself.
phantom914
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Oct 8 2004, 08:23 AM)
Would this be a case of flooding? The cold start injector remaining open or just the opposite?
It will sputter & try to start but I need to hit the gas or pump it while turning the key.  Once it actually starts it's fine.  

Any ideas?  I just changed the fuel filter and this happened. <_<
2.0 D-Jet
......b

The cold start injector should not open except at close to freezing temperatures. It could be you are running very lean: as far as I understand, pumping the pedal pulses the injectors, sort of like an electronic version of a mechanical accelerator pump.

Andrew
rhaas
You might want to replace your points. My car would do that when the points were at the end of their life.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(rhaas @ Oct 8 2004, 10:37 AM)
You might want to replace your points. My car would do that when the points were at the end of their life.

I have the Pertronics Electronic ignition. It could very well be something similar.

bob91403 Posted on Oct 8 2004, 10:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way I've heard it, if it's FI, you turn the ignition on, you put your foot to the floor, you let off half way, then start it. If it doesn't start, you do nothing, and try to start it again. It should adjust for start by itself.  

I've never heard that but won't hurt to try. Like I said above, never had to touch the gas before changing the filter blink.gif

......b
anthony
My car does this only when it's very hot out and the car has been run up to max operating temperature. The factory owner's manual indicates that this is normal and that the hot start procedure is to put the accelerator to the floor and then start the car.
Bruce Allert
This is only during first start of the day. Then, even after hard running, like AX, it starts with a turn of the key & no gas peddal.

I'll figure this dang'd thang out if it causes me to drink 6 Fat Tires whilst doing it... Hmmmmmm, must be wishful thinking, eh? beer.gif

.......b
anthony
Ok, I misunderstood. The cold start shouldn't be that difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.