Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of dropping engines...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie Williams
Has anyone used one of the following engine dollies or have plans on how to build a better? I'd like to use something to cart my driveline around the garage while working on it, and then just roll it under and a jack it up.

IPB Image

IPB Image
DNHunt
I just use a furniture dolly from Home Depot. About 20 bucks

Dave
914forme
this is what I use just remove the handle the entire engine with tranny will lift right into the bay, or drop out. I can seperate the two on this table, spin the engine around jack it up and put it onto the stand. Leave the tranny on it or I can move them over to the shelves or truck and slide them off, if I toss a piece of plywood under the thing. Works well for me.
DonTraver
I just made a dolly. It's about 24 inches square, put a couple of 2x4' under the exhaust to give myself a bit more clearance when removing and installing. It helps to have a lift. My neighbor owns the shop down the street. He lets me use a lift when ever I need it. Then I just roll the engine and car down the street to the house to do the work, roll it back to install. beerchug.gif
machina
I used a furniture dolly to drop 2 motors but this ATV lift made it easy to install. I work alone mostly so being able to position the motor and precisely raise or lower it helped alot.

That big lifting table looks nice too but is quite a bit more $$$ than the ATV lift, and the ATV goes real low which was improtant to me since I wanted to install with the carbs installed.
lapuwali
The ATV lift looks the best deal to me. Not only does it go up and down, but it can be wheeled around, too. I've used the $20 furniture dollys, but the biggest problem is getting the bloody thing onto the dolly after lowering it on a floor jack or similar. The "lower the car onto the dolly, unbolt, and lift off car" approach works, but requires two good jacks.
URY914
mine
ThinAir
I have one of the 3-wheel style that I picked up at Bug-O-Rama a few years ago. I made sure that it was for a Type IV. It works OK, but the engine doesn't sit down inside of it like it should because of the round protrusion where the oil temp sender goes. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of the thing when you can't lower the engine into it straight and then remove the jack. It's not that I couldn't remove the jack, it just wasn't straight like I wanted it to be.

The ATV lift looks like a great way to go. How many $$$ and where do you get them?
machina
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Oct 9 2004, 12:52 PM)
The ATV lift looks like a great way to go. How many $$$ and where do you get them?

I got mine for $59 at PEP Boys but I have seen the same thing for +- $10 at other places too.

One thing to note with the ATV lift, if you are working alone, it may be hard to raise the motor with the tranny attached. As you can see in the picture, there is a raised bracket that supports the ram. I didn't mind doing them separately. It was super easy with the lift to install the tranny as well.

I think others have used the ATV with the motor and tranny mounted together, so it can be done.
914helo
I have a Home Depot furniture dolly but may buy the motorcycle/ATV lift. A nearby Kragen's has them on sale for $50.
Joe Ricard
HMMM 3/4" plywood 18" x 24" supported by 4 rubber caster wheels. Prolly 8 bucks counting the screws. Already have two jacks. Just dropped my engine 10 minutes ago. Piece of cake.
rick 918-S
I just re-installed my motor tonight so this is the best photo I have of my engine rack. It is a three wheel cart I built. I jack my car up a couple of inches. The cart lines up with the cross bar and supports the end of the transaxle. I lower the car, pull the bolts, and jack the car up under the center tunnel. I can raise the car high enough to roll the assmbly out the rear. I'll see if I have any other pictures.
JoeSharpOld
I've posted my jack here before. I also work alone and have a bad back, so I have to be very careful. My jack has a bracket that I made up for it that piviots and swivel. Makes the install a one handed operation.
Joe
JeffBowlsby
$25 furniture dolly.

$5 threaded rod and a couple washers and nuts.

Put car in the air - ramps are best they are stable.

Swap front engine mount bar bolts for threaded rods on each end.

Jack under trans for a three-point drop

Safe, cheap, only 1 floor jack and anyone can do it.
ThinAir
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 10 2004, 08:20 AM)
$25 furniture dolly.

$5 threaded rod and a couple washers and nuts.

Put car in the air - ramps are best they are stable.

Swap front engine mount bar bolts for threaded rods on each end.

Jack under trans for a three-point drop

Safe, cheap, only 1 floor jack and anyone can do it.

So you are attaching the furniture dolly to the engine using the threaded rods and then lowering the whole thing together as one unit? I'm having trouble picturing what you are doing. (yes, I'm dense sometimes blink.gif )
J P Stein
lump
J P Stein
lump bump
JeffBowlsby
So you are attaching the furniture dolly to the engine using the threaded rods

No, no...sorry for my previous lack of clarity.

The threaded rods replace the bolts holding the engine bar to the body.

The drivetrain then lowers in a three-point fashion onto the dolly on the ground.

Its really very simple, and safe.
neo914-6
The threaded rods replace the bolts holding the engine bar to the body.

Jeff,
So you loosen the nut on the long rod a little bit on each side until it's on the dolly? That's gotta take some time going back and forth. (I must be dense too). blink.gif
Felix
ThinAir
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 10 2004, 07:21 AM)
I've posted my jack here before. I also work alone and have a bad back, so I have to be very careful. My jack has a bracket that I made up for it that piviots and swivel. Makes the install a one handed operation.
Joe

I'd love to see a set of plans for this. It looks easy enough to build and could be my first project once I get my welder.
JeffBowlsby
So you loosen the nut on the long rod a little bit on each side until it's on the dolly

Yes. It actually goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

I prefer and recommend it because it is safe and a one-person job.

I think its nuts to balance a 500 lb drive train on a single point jack, while steadying it with the other hand, then lower it down about 18 inches, then pull it frm under thew car at least a few feet. There was a special adapter plate that the dealers/factory used to keep their assemblies stable, not just a jack centered under that mass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.