Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
Does anyone know where you can pick up a nut like the one pictured on the left with the shoulder flange? I have 8 and need 12. Would like a few other sets as spares as well.
type47
close but no copper

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-flange-nuts/=hjj40g
Woody
Are you talking about copper coated? They are still currently used on newer Porsches and should be easily attained at the dealership.
rwilner
pelican sells them.

I'm too lazy to find a link to the part though
SLITS
Crushed Nutz from the Bird
IronHillRestorations
I can mail you some today, just let me know before 3:00.
Rex-n-effect
This is a BMW part also, part # 11 62 1 711 954.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Woody @ May 15 2012, 05:23 AM) *

Are you talking about copper coated? They are still currently used on newer Porsches and should be easily attained at the dealership.

They're still currently used on WATER COOLED Porsches. They were NEVER used on air cooled Porsches.

The Cap'n
bcheney
What's correct to use on aircooled 914/6 911?
avidfanjpl
Hey Cap'n!

Tell me true. Are you saying that the nuts in copper with the flange were never used on 914 2.0L motors on the exhaust studs?

Pelican only sells the ones on the left.

I want to know!

Thanks!

John
bcheney
I need to do a better job searching before asking...Bird says....

11-62-1-711-954-M58 Exhaust Nut (8 per car, sold individually), 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), Each [More Info]
Exhaust Nuts
[view in catalog] $0.75

999-085-001-02-M260 Exhaust Barrel Nut (6 per car, sold individually), 911 (1965-73), Each [More Info]
Brand: OEM
Exhaust Nuts
[view in catalog] $3.25

PEL-TOL-P243 Heat Exchanger (Barrel Nut) Removal Tool, 911 (1965-73), Each [More Info]
Exhaust Nuts
[view in catalog] $29.40
JawjaPorsche
Here is link to Pelican Parts Exhaust Nuts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...76%29%2C%20Each

Used them when I replaced my heat exchangers.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 15 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Hey Cap'n!

Tell me true. Are you saying that the nuts in copper with the flange were never used on 914 2.0L motors on the exhaust studs?

Pelican only sells the ones on the left.

I want to know!

Thanks!

John

I don't have time to take a photo, but here's the truth. 911s DID NOT have copper plated steel self locking nuts anywhere in the exhaust system. They DID NOT have ANY kind of self locking nuts anywhere in the exhaust system. The Bird sells locking nuts for half the studs, non locking for the other half. Why is that? Because they can, I guess, and it simply doesn't make sense. They're in the business of selling parts, not repairing or restoring cars, and their advice should be taken with that in mind. 911s came with 6 non-locking barrel nuts on the 6 studs accessed through tubular holes in the HEs, and 6 plain old conventional, non locking, 8mm nuts, 13mm wrench size, on the other 6.

ALL 1.7 and 1.8 914s came with what look very much like plain 8mm nuts on the exhaust studs. However, despite the looks, they're different; They're helicoiled. The same nuts are used on the studs holding various sections of the transaxle together. All 1973 and 1974 2 liter cars used a relatively bulky looking thickly flanged 8mm nut with a helicoil inside on each of the exhaust studs. I don't remember what kind of exhaust nuts the '75-'76 cars used, but I can guarantee it WASN'T any kind of locking fastener, same as the earlier cars.

That's the truth. Anyone telling you any different doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's trying to sell you the product he has in stock.

The Cap'n

ww914
Hey Cap'n, where the gell are you now?
Cap'n Krusty
In my office at home, why?

Oh, you mean where am I working? Stinn's Autohaus, about a mile from the old shop. I'm the parts guy, as well as turning a wrench or two as needed. Not good to call me at work, just e-mail or PM me.

The Cap'n
stugray
I didnt want to start an new thread for almost the same question.

Where do I get new exhaust studs other than AA?
I was surprised to find that Pelican did not have them.

I found some with the right part # (N014 397 9 - 8X56) for a 2.0L on evilbay, but I think I would trust AA more than that.

Stu
McMark
Get some 8x1.25 all thread or long bolts and cut your own.
stugray

Really? I wouldn't trust all-thread, but a standard bolt?

I thought about it but figured there was something special about them.
Either a slightly enlarged thread to stay in the aluminum better or the taper.

Ace carries grade 8 black metric bolts in the necessary length

Stu
rwilner
I think Chris Foley (Racer Chris) sells them, can't find them on his website though. Send him a PM

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 18 2013, 10:08 AM) *

I think Chris Foley (Racer Chris) sells them,

nope
stugray
so will a grade 8 8X1.25 black oxide bolt work if I just cut it to length?

Like McMark said? (when he mentioned all-thread, I thought we was just pulling my leg ;-)

Stu
solex
I use SS nuts, double nutted with Milk of Magnesia.

The copper nuts have pull out or broke too many studs for me, never again.
yeahmag
I've used these before and like them:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Flanged-R...-p/acn-nuts.htm
Rand
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 17 2013, 04:13 PM) *

Where do I get new exhaust studs other than AA?
I was surprised to find that Pelican did not have them.

My local VW service shop stocks them. Regular, and step studs both.
stugray

I thought McMark was pullng my leg by mentioning all thread.
Well I found this site which is awesome for us metric types:

http://www.belmetric.com/

They had 8X1.25 grade class B7 threaded rod:

https://www.belmetric.com/trb8x125-class-b7...l?cPath=551_553

With shipping ~$20

I figure I can make ~15 exhast studs. That would cost ~$100 buying studs from AA. I can also make custom lengths if required since I have Kerry Hunter-style headers.

Stu
r3dplanet
Here's a question. Does B7 grade have any anti-corrosive properties? I wonder how strong these studs need to be. My inclination would be to cut some stainless (A2/A4) rod for corrosion prevention, but I'm not an engineer and don't know if the stronger B7 grade is necessary.

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 21 2013, 09:24 AM) *

I thought McMark was pullng my leg by mentioning all thread.
Well I found this site which is awesome for us metric types:

http://www.belmetric.com/

They had 8X1.25 grade class B7 threaded rod:

https://www.belmetric.com/trb8x125-class-b7...l?cPath=551_553

With shipping ~$20

I figure I can make ~15 exhast studs. That would cost ~$100 buying studs from AA. I can also make custom lengths if required since I have Kerry Hunter-style headers.

Stu

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.