Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the shift coupler bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I'm replacing the bushings that are in the shift coupler on 73 and later. How do I remove the pin that goes through the coupler. bushings, and rod without breaking the coupler. The pin seems rusted in there.
jr91472
you have got to press them out with a vise and a couple of deep sockets. Run a search on this forum for more details.

good luck
jim912928
I was going to attempt the same thing today....but I got under there with my 4mm allen socket and low and behold the pins on both side of the shift bar are rounded out...now what do I do?
machina
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 9 2004, 03:12 PM)
I was going to attempt the same thing today....but I got under there with my 4mm allen socket and low and behold the pins on both side of the shift bar are rounded out...now what do I do?

drill it out, but do a better job than I did smash.gif
SGB
before you drill it out-
Only yesterday I used 4.5 mm socket head type allen wrench to get this done (at the firewall). I slathered the locking bolt with a lot of liquid wrench for a few days prior (while stripping it the rest of the way). I used a big C-clamp to jam the allen socket into the rounded hole. Maybe you can do that too. aktion035.gif
bondo
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 10 2004, 06:26 PM)
before you drill it out-
Only yesterday I used 4.5 mm socket head type allen wrench to get this done (at the firewall).  I slathered the locking bolt with a lot of liquid wrench for a few days prior (while stripping it the rest of the way).  I used a big C-clamp to jam the allen socket into the rounded hole.  Maybe you can do that too. aktion035.gif

I've done similar things with torx bits, sometimes it works! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.