Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Six begins the long journey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
OK, the long wait is over! My car left on Saturday, May 13th for Kahiko Customs & Restoration- Scotty B's (Burnett's) shop in Virginia where he will begin a complete rebuild.

I know Scotty will thoroughly document the build on a thread on this site for all of us to enjoy popcorn[1].gif . I am really looking forward to the build welder.gif - not so much the spending of money screwy.gif

So stay tuned and see what turns up. The car is not scheduled to arrive in VA until 5/22 or thereabouts.

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Working with Scotty is a win-win situation. Your patronage allows him to continue to stay in business and do great work, and you get a top quality product smile.gif Cant wait!
sixnotfour
West to East blink.gif
Socalandy
Thats a nice start right there popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
BajaXJ92
Oh good, about time.

I'm planning a sexy photoshoot w/ this car when it arrives @ Scotty's shop.

Stay tuned. first.gif

Click to view attachment
bcheney
The car looks great...sometimes i'ts good to release and let others carry the torch. I'm sure you will be pleased with the end result!
wingnut86
Ummm, no rear poses like that in front of Doc, he's still doing his Proctology rounds. If'n ya know what I mean biggrin.gif

happy11.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2012, 12:05 AM) *

West to East blink.gif

When you look at scotty's work you'll know why.

Adam,

I thought there was a restraining order in place? confused24.gif You aren't allowed within 300 yards of Kahiko Customs.
wingnut86
av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
JStroud
Michael, great to see it getting started, can't wait to see you drive it to an event.
Hope everything goes good and you get I back soon.

To be honest thought not sure why you haven't been driving it, it already looks better than both of mine poke.gif

Have fun with it, don't think about the money.....you can't think about cost when it's a project or hobbie it will suck the fun out, and it's all about the fun factor.

popcorn[1].gif Jeff
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 16 2012, 07:06 AM) *

Adam,

I thought there was a restraining order in place? confused24.gif You aren't allowed within 300 yards of Kahiko Customs.

I own camo. ph34r.gif
MDG
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2012, 12:05 AM) *

West to East Scotty thumb3d.gif

Cairo94507
Hi Jeff:
Yeah it looks good from 15' but to drive it would have been full fuel delivery system, complete brake job and new lines, repair all oil leaks, new tires, etc. I just thought better to wait and have it done correctly rather than drive it and have it burst into flames for some 41 year old worn part reason.

I feel like it will be at Scotty's for close to 2 years. The real answer will come when the body is media blasted to see the extent of work necessary. I am hoping that the media blasting will take place in June.
Ferg
Is it going back to original color? shades.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah....No. The original color is gold and I don't like it. At this point it will be light ivory. Sorry to all of the CW people out there but I am the one that has to look at it everyday and drive it.

There is a reason gold was the least seen, sold color in this model year. The gold on this car was bad, really bad, and not in a good bad way.
scotty b
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ May 16 2012, 02:45 AM) *

Oh good, about time.

I'm planning a sexy photoshoot w/ this car when it arrives @ Scotty's shop.

Stay tuned. first.gif

Click to view attachment

What the hell is George Michaels doing to that C-GT ???? blink.gif
Dr Evil
HA! Princess Adam wishes he had a vagina between his legs......rather than in place of his mouth smile.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 16 2012, 11:20 PM) *

HA! Princess Adam wishes he had a vagina between his legs......rather than in place of his mouth smile.gif

I think we already established who my bitch was in Hershey, PA. smile.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 16 2012, 10:44 PM) *

What the hell is George Michaels doing to that C-GT ???? blink.gif

I was checking for originality of the orange peel....
moparrob
I'm jealous and happy for you. Light ivory is awesome (I'm biased though...)
OU8AVW
Scotty's painting my 71 Ivory too. It's at his shop now. Good to know my car will be in good company!
Cairo94507
My car is scheduled to arrive this morning at Scotty's! I can't wait to hear it made the trip in one piece....
Cairo94507
Yippee! My car traveled across the country and made it safely to Scotty's:

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Safe at Scotty's? Boy, have you got a lot to learn.
Cairo94507
I am trusting that Scotty will take care of my baby. Of course you could always be my secret agent and report back to me when you are visiting your six. Scotty said he would cover it with a soft flannel blanket every night wub.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 21 2012, 06:24 PM) *

I am trusting that Scotty will take care of my baby. Of course you could always be my secret agent and report back to me when you are visiting your six. Scotty said he would cover it with a soft flannel blanket every night wub.gif

Dude - He turned mine into swiss cheese. sawzall-smiley.gif
IronHillRestorations
It's your car, you can do whatever you want. I'm sure the Scottmeister will make it better than ever!

FWIW, as good as a 914 looks in white, those unique 70's colors (IMHO) are hard to beat. I'm not a CW, but I couldn't imagine having a non-standard metallic color 914-6 and painting black, or white.
scotty b
day 1 : battery has a dead cell and the fuel pump is locked up.

result - battery is junk, I will try to free up the pump tomorrow. Engine did hit and run for a brief second almost immediatly with a shot of carb cleaner though biggrin.gif
r_towle
I feel your pain, my red car is an original gold car....I just can't do gold.
wingnut86
Damn, is that black beauty sitting next to the cleanout for the septic biggrin.gif

Shit Happens Forrest happy11.gif
Cairo94507
Wow! I am amazed you got it to fire. Let me know if that fuel pump unlocks when you beat it with a BFH. It ran great when I drove it back on 2/6/10. No smoke either.

I finally have someone, R_Towle, who understands my dilemma. Not that I am going to reconsider my decision re the original color, gold. That color should have never been on that car and that is likely why it was color changed when it was just 1 year old. Thanks for the support R_Towle. If this was a car I was going to restore and sell it might be a different story. I actually expect to drive this when it is done and have no plans to sell it. (of course if someone offered me $200K......I might listen for a minute biggrin.gif )

As far as the light ivory, putting color on that car is a ways off so anything could happen. I like, in no particular order, silver, adriatic blue, light ivory and irish green. So pretty strong chance it will be one of those colors.

My first six was signal orange and the second was irish green. Likely not going to go with either of those colors since I have had them before.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 21 2012, 09:45 PM) *

I feel your pain, my red car is an original gold car....I just can't do gold.

For me, I would do gold. You won't park next to yourself at a 914 event. But I'm strange like that.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 21 2012, 11:07 PM) *

Wow! I am amazed you got it to fire. Let me know if that fuel pump unlocks when you beat it with a BFH. It ran great when I drove it back on 2/6/10. No smoke either.

I finally have someone, R_Towle, who understands my dilemma. Not that I am going to reconsider my decision re the original color, gold. That color should have never been on that car and that is likely why it was color changed when it was just 1 year old. Thanks for the support R_Towle. If this was a car I was going to restore and sell it might be a different story. I actually expect to drive this when it is done and have no plans to sell it. (of course if someone offered me $200K......I might listen for a minute biggrin.gif )

As far as the light ivory, putting color on that car is a ways off so anything could happen. I like, in no particular order, silver, adriatic blue, light ivory and irish green. So pretty strong chance it will be one of those colors.

My first six was signal orange and the second was irish green. Likely not going to go with either of those colors since I have had them before.

agree.gif Lot's of time and cash. You deserve to smile every time you open the garage door. Gold won't do that for you. Just don't paint it red or it will get lost among my heard.
shuie
This is not a dilemma, IMHO. The car is getting a proper respray and changed to a more desirable Porsche period color. If the car was originally 936 Silver Metallic and you wanted to change it to some burnt orange Toyota color chosen randomly from a Dupont sample book at the paint supply store it would be different.
IronHillRestorations
Don't get me wrong, I was just spewing forth my .02.

It's you car and your money, you have to be happy when you go out to the garage. Especially at 3am the first night you bring it home, and you go out just to make sure it's really there!
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 21 2012, 07:07 PM) *

......... putting color on that car is a ways off so anything could happen. I like...... adriatic blue,............

clap56.gif Good color and rather rare
scotty b
IMHO the other key to this story is that Michael does not have the ORIGINAL engine for the car sio whether he paints it gold or white it still won't be 100% authentic. And what he is doing is easily reversible should someone in the future decide to go completely stock. This will be a fun build and a badass sleeper when done smile.gif
scotty b
What to check on your new car ???

How about the fuel lines ??? blink.gif

IPB Image

scotty b
It lives.....if only on 5 cylinders and 2 year old gas...........but it lives smile.gif

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Well the gas is at least 2 years old; the car had been sitting and stored when I bought it for about 1 year, maybe more. Looking at that fuel line you can see why I decided not to drive it and to rebuild it first. My luck the line would crack, the gas would run out and catch the car on fire and I would be really sad.

So it is running -nice. Always good to have a base-line before you start stripping it. welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif first.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah light ivory and adriatic blue are the front runners.
MDG
My six conversion when I got it was in its original Light Ivory. White is not a colour I would have ordered by I have to say I fell in love with the way it looks on a narrow body 914 with 5 lug Fuchs. With all of the silver and black accents it has a very elegant look to it.

Adriatic Blue and Irish Green are my two favourites though. I went green when I flared mine as I think the white ends up hiding a lot of the lines of a GT bodied car.

Whatever you choose it's going to be fantastic when Crankypants gets done with it!
Cairo94507
MDG - Thanks I too think light ivory is sweet with the stock finished fuchs. I have a matched set of 5 deep sixes that will go to Weidman for refinishing when the time is right. But I also want a set of the gas burners in stock finish for the car too.

Light ivory or adriatic blue, I am sure it is going to look beautiful when Scotty is done with it. Yesterday he tried to take my car for a joy ride but my front calipers were dragging to badly to allow that. That is a shame because it would have been cool for him to drive it before he destroyed errr took it apart driving.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2012, 11:14 AM) *

That is a shame because it would have been cool for him to drive it before he destroyed errr took it apart driving.gif

HEY mad.gif Watch it pal dry.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2012, 03:14 PM) *

Yesterday he tried to take my car for a joy ride but my front calipers were dragging to badly to allow that.

That's never stopped him before. Besides, he has a giant Hot Wheels track set up behind his shop for cars that can't move under their own power.

He just uses a pulley to get them to the top.

It's pretty cool actually.
poorsche914
Ya always hear about all these cars going TO Scotty's shop but ya never hear of any coming back out blink.gif confused24.gif unsure.gif
Katmanken
blink.gif
Cairo94507
I promise this one will be returning to CA one of these years....I am excepting this to take 1.5 to 2 years.

I am trying to be realistic here because Scotty is very busy with lots of 914's and I do not have a money tree in my back yard despite what my relatives seem to think. screwy.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 23 2012, 05:34 PM) *

Ya always hear about all these cars going TO Scotty's shop but ya never hear of any coming back out blink.gif confused24.gif unsure.gif

Scotty's a 914 hoarder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.