Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake upgrades? 5 lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TurboWalt
Are there any rear brake upgrades for 5 lug that retain the parking brake? I've searched and can't find any difinitive answers.
sixnotfour
914-6 calipers, bigger piston , bigger pads, same size as 911 rear calipers .

or use 911 rear caliper and add the 911 parking brake.
mepstein
I'm pretty sure Eric Shea/PMB has an alloy 914-6 rear caliper in the works.
wingnut86
Check Chris's solution over at Tangerine Racing. Bring $$$, either way...
TravisNeff
You can use a caliper spacer kit from Eric Shea and use vented rotors with the stock -4 calipers, or you can run the stock rear calipers with redrilled -4 rotors, or use 914-6 rotors (you may have to turn the outside diameter down a couple of mm, or clearance the caliper)
TurboWalt
I'll look into those options. I do prefer to support forum members first when it comes to spending my $$$. I will add that my car has the Renegade big brake kit on it, but it isn't true 5 lug. From my pictures I'm positive I have no parking brake. I'll have to ask McMark to confirm this. When I inquired with him about what stub shaft and hubs I have is what started me heading down this particular road. I plan to use a 108mm CV with no adapter.
sixnotfour
install 911 parking brakes is the most cost effective if you have the renegade brake package already.
Elliot Cannon
Parking break? That's easy. Leave it in first gear. av-943.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 16 2012, 05:00 PM) *

Parking break? That's easy. Leave it in first gear. av-943.gif

My dilemma is that I started this Frigging project 8 years ago (BEFORE the 911 e-brake solution was fully sorted out).

I have these beautiful powder coated, reinforced, trailing arms with everything ready to bolt to the chassis.... and I really WOULD like to have an e-brake solution.

Unfortunately, I'd have to remove the hub (and destroy the bearing)... not terrible, but still not the desired solution.

And I'd have to drill and weld onto the beautifully powder coated arms.

Unless someone has figured out an alternative and true "bolt on" solution...

IPB Image

Aaron Cox
^^^ I did what Karl wants to do.... Boxsters but with 911 hub/911 ebrake parts (still not finished LOL).

IPB Image
jimkelly
what you got on front?

sure you need bigger brakes in rear?

would drilling rears for 5 studs and going 911 in front be sufficient?

jim
Andyrew
Spacers in the stock calipers to accept the vented rear rotors... Thats what I use.
sixnotfour
Martin Scheinder was working on a spot mechanical caliper ?? MSDS
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2012, 02:14 AM) *

I'm pretty sure Eric Shea/PMB has an alloy 914-6 rear caliper in the works.

agree.gif This is a project being worked on by 914Rubber.Com and PMB. Pair this with the alloy front caliper and you have achieved 914 perfection. I have the PMB alloy fronts and I am anxiously awaiting the completion of the rear project...

I think you can just spy these beauties in this picture... biggrin.gif
edwin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 18 2012, 03:14 AM) *

I think you can just spy these beauties in this picture... biggrin.gif

Cross dirilled rotors and a phillips head screwdriver? Seems simple enough
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2012, 08:14 PM) *

Martin Scheinder was working on a spot mechanical caliper ?? MSDS

It was tried here in Dallas by Wes Hildreth on Mike Floyd's 914. We found that setting the park brake when the rotor was hot would mandate the removal of the wheel and a very large hammer to get the park brake to release. smash.gif

Not a good solution.
sixnotfour
Not a good solution.

I guess thats why we havent heard much ??
Qarl
I would be interested in alloy front/rears if the rears could also be alloy and have the e-brake provision.

rfuerst911sc
I added 911 brakes on all four corners to my GT clone. I kept the 911 e-brake setup it works fine. Just had to get extended e-brake cables and I welded a stud to the swing arm. On that stud I installed a small pulley. The e-brake cable runs around the pulley and into the e-brake actuator. Very simple and works great.
Dinobx
At first I went with early 911 rotors and a Ferrari 308 rear caliper. Needed spacers for that solution, but the wonderful thing is the Ferrari 308 calipers had a built in parking brake with cable hookup. I decided after seeing the 911 ebrake solution, to go that route with Boxster rear calipers on early 911 rotors.

Don't know if that helps.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.